DRT

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Acie Vickers

Very relaxed company to intern at.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, casual dress code, collaborative environment, friendly coworkers, Boeing has great benefits for interns, nice office space, low stress

Consit seems like it's hard to move up, you will be working on the same project all the time, not much space for new ideas, some people are less competent

Look forward to coming to work here when needed

Recep\tionist (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

Prosgreat place to work. great people

ConsSome of the internal employees do not believe me when I tell them that I do not give out employee temp badges if they left theirs at home. I repeatedly seem to have tell the same people that they have to go to the internal security specialist to receive the badge.

Very smart people using cutting edge technology

ProsYou will learn a great deal

ConsLike anywhere else, you don't always get to do interesting work

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to cut through the CMMI red tape that you have created

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great engineering, short sighted management

DSP Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsIntelligent, hard working and friendly engineering staff. Competitive pay, good benefits, plenty of interesting work.

ConsManagement often goes after short-term profit rather than long term company growth. Annoying, irrelevant policies get instituted to save money or increase productivity, but they just wind up frustrating the employees. Boeing's trainings and intrusions are as annoying as they are irrelevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some long term vision to the company.

Great engineering, but company going in the wrong direction

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsDRT has a very high quality product, and does cutting edge, high quality work. The technical team is strong, nearly everyone is smart and hardworking, and you learn a lot from working with people with great ideas.

ConsUpper management provides no leadership. Endless planning committees are formed to address problems, and no progress is made on pressing problems for years. The project management culture stifles innovation, with even small technical tasks being subjected to a multi-month approval process that prevent engineers from responding to customer problems, and "priority 1" projects can meander for months or even years waiting trying to pass through artificial project gates. This has resulted in an increasingly apathetic work culture, with engineers and even low level managers excited about the technical content of their work, but feeling helpless to make anything better for the company or for customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet goals, and move forward with them even if there is not complete consensus.
    Push back against the endless training and useless policies pushed down from corporate Boeing.
    Focus on giving customers good turn around time on requested features, don't let ideas die silently, either approve or reject proposals.
    Allow employees who want to move into different career paths do so. Forcing someone to be a manager who openly and repeatedly states that he doesn't want to be a manager kills morale.

Very Technical Workplace with as much growth possible as your willing to put into it

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsPay. Knowledge. Pride. Advancement of career.

ConsLack of vision for company. Leadership is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin selling in adjacency markets, such as commercial. Let employees at the bottom make decisions for the marketing and sales folks who know nothing, yet are seemingly driving the bus.

Great people and great place

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsFantastic benefits (before the Boeing takeover). Very smart peer group of engineers. You probably will not find a better group of engineers, from the top down. A great place if you are a true communications engineer.

ConsSomewhat chaotic project management and a lack of communications between team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a scheme to develop better communications for inter and intra group communications

Worked for DRT? Contribute to the Community!