DRT Strategies

Add Photos

Susan M. Kidd

Great Company!!

Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros-Great culture set by Susan Kidd
    -Real focus on work/life balance
    -Great colleagues
    -Very employee-centered
    -Challenging and rewarding work
    -Compensation great when considering how many hours are worked
    -More than enough PTO
    -Rapidly growing company
    -In-company training as well as compensation for training received from outside the company
    -Great perks and benefits (commuting, free food, happy hours)

Cons-Compensation not as good as bigger companies (expected)
    -Not as many projects to choose from due to smaller size
    -Some managers can seem to be out-of-touch
    -Rapidly growing company

So glad I chose to join DRT!

Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsDRT is a great company - small size but big enough to have diverse projects and fun yet challenging work, collegial and friendly team members, and supportive leadership!

ConsDoes not have all the big company perks like company business cards for all staff but does have big company-like perks with respect to professional development (Training) allowance, monthly happy hours, and a swanky HQ office in Arlington (Ballston), VA

Advice to Senior ManagementStrengthen company wide mentoring program

The corporate culture is exceptional, particularly toward the disabled

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI recently had major back surgery that laid me up for a considerable period of time. The first thought in everyone's mind, from HR, to my coworkers, to my supervisor, and my project manager was for me to heal up and get rest. Whenever we would finish a meeting or if sending an email message, somebody would remind me to get rest and heal up. I still had to work, but with some flexibility and creativity, I was able to work a full week and still get the rest I needed. When I was needed to make a customer presentation, one of my colleagues came to my house, picked me up, and took me to the customer's site. I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the amount of care the people of DRT showed me, my recuperation would have taken much longer and been quite unpleasant.

ConsNo appreciable cons to speak of.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the place you can build your career, focus solely on billing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOK benefits
    No travel
    OK work/life benefits

ConsThere is a major disconnect between management and assocciates. A lot of talented people have left the company in last two years. The way they value their employees is inconsistent same goes for how the promotions are handled.

Talks the Talk....does not Walk the Walk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLess stressful than most consulting companies, good benefits.

ConsVision of company does not match what actually goes on within the company itself, Senior Leadership lacks talent and skill set to actually lead, keep contracts, and obtain new work. Talented people do not stay long due to BS that goes on at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementSusan Kidd is awesome. She's created this wonderful culture and company that unfortunately, Senior Managers and Execs do not follow. As a result, the company keeps going downhill (number of employees continues to decrease). Senior Managers constantly mismanage, avoid actual problems, and lie to save themselves. Meanwhile anyone below the rank of Sr. Manager suffers greatly and eventually ends up going elsewhere.

Ok company

Associate (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThere are some excellent consultants with great personalities and professional skills. Benefits are "ok".

ConsSome managers are good but others are quite terrible. Not sure how these people are chosen but many don't have the required skills or personality to manage others! There's VERY little communication between Managers and Associates. Associates at all levels are expected to operate on their own but when Managers write reviews, they sometimes write things that are simply not true. The pay increase, annual review and promotions are a big mystery and cause a lot of dissatisfaction among the employees. I have been with DRT Strategies for 3 years and the company has declined significantly over the last couple of years. The turnover is HUGE and lots of good people left because the management is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down from Mount Olympus once in a while and talk to the Associates. We are the workforce that keeps the company profitable and are treated like comodities.

DRT is an amazing company that truly cares about its employees!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGood work culture, Life/Work Balance, Positive Learning Environment, Fun activities and perks

ConsI don't have any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to ensure consistency in processes throughout the company.

Typical Small Government Contractor

Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros- DRT is a very comfortable place to work.
    - Compensation and benefits are more than fair (4 weeks off plus 4% 401k Match).
    - Work/Life balance is excellent, rare to work more than 40 hrs a week
    - People in the office are very nice and are easy to talk to
    - Strong 3 year growth
    - Very competent corporate staff for the most part

Cons- As a small company, there sometimes is not a lot of choice for which task orders you get placed into.
    - Primary focus is on billable hours and filling client needs, employee needs come 2nd
    - Some managers/senior managers are very stereotypically middle management
    - Lack of mentorship/advising within the company. No advocate for an employee except for a manager, which can change quickly when given a different project.
    - HR is rather unhelpful

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employee development/retention rather than bending over backwards for the immediate client need. Develop the mentorship program more, because right now it's lacking.

Find a Niche and Build the Company

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLess stressful than other places I've worked. Some opportunities to learn new things if you're assigned to the right task order. Otherwise, you might feel your are stagnating.

ConsStrategic vision, longevity of company. The competition is fierce, but DRT does not standout. Changes in policies are not always effectively communicated to staff, which can lead to issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust staff, differentiate yourself, make sure policy changes are communicated. Don't force unqualified staff on projects - ensure there's a good fit.

DRT empowers employees to drive their career development and make meaningful contributions to the company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsDRT promotes an employee-centric culture focusing on work/life balance, and provides opportunities for employees to take ownership of their career development. Also, the open-door policy encourages employees to contribute their ideas, thoughts, etc... to actively engage everyone is helping the company grow.

Consno cons to share about the company

Worked for DRT Strategies? Contribute to the Community!