DRT Strategies Reviews

1. A company that is truly concerned for the well being of it's employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at DRT Strategies

Pros

People are smart, nice, fun, hardworking, collaborative
    Flexibility to care for career and family
    Unique benefits that other companies do not have (snacks drinks at projects & HQ, contribution towards commuting expenses is great, fun events/happy hours, all hands events)
    Culture of fun lot of corporate get together events something always happening socially to connect us
    Cares about career development and growth
    $$ toward annual training which you don't see at bigger companies
    CEO - Susan Kidd truly cares about what employees think and what they want for DRT

Cons

Compensation is not as high as bigger firms but that is expected in a small growing company. The benefits, culture, collaboration, growth opportunity make up for that. But salaries are competitive.

Advice to Management

Continue to thank your team for their contributions to the projects, department and to the company we as employees want to hear that from you.
    Keep us informed the good and the maybe not so good transparency is important

2. DRT: IT Sweatshop

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits package
    - Great people to work with on project teams
    - Swanky office environment / metro accessible
    - Free coffee and snacks

Cons

- Long/Late nights (12-16 hour days)
    - Pressure to work holidays and weekends
    - Overly committed / Severely under resourced project teams
    - No work life balance
    - Low salary

Advice to Management

- Work/life balance is important to employees' effectiveness and productivity. Try to find ways to ensure employees do not encounter burn-out. Doing so will lower DRT's extremely high turn-over rate.
    - Invest in employee training programs/provide mentorship to junior professionals.
    - Manage customer expectations better.
    -Try not to over-committ under-resourced project teams.

3. Deceitful bunch

I have been working at DRT Strategies

Pros

Met nice people here, at least.

Cons

Why would you want to work here?

A place to excel and provide great value while growing your career

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

DRT is focused on ensuring employees are happy with their careers, benefits, commutes, and professional development. The firm focuses on the fact that happy employees = ecstatic customers. From bi-annual surveys, and constant feed back and communication to excellent benefits packages and professional development, DRT stands out as a world class management consulting firm. Expectations are set in a way where you would never be forced to give up time off to complete a project, and those who go above and beyond are rewarded.

Cons

As a small firm, there are growing pains. Nothing will impact your work, but do not expect an omelette bar every Friday. You have to be a self motivator to excel at DRT. If you are not a team player and looking to make both the company and yourself better, this is not the right place for you.

Advice to Management

Setting strategic goals and showing employees how they can assist you in reaching those goals is important. Take that extra time, to show employees what they can do to contribute.

Good workers poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working level of the company has many bright stars in the waiting that are eager for the right type of leadership and mentorship.

Cons

The management level and senior leadership is callous at best. They routinely "fired" employees without notice and made the terminated employees feel like it was their fault. In most cases I witnessed it was either: 1) the person was placed in a job that they didn't fit and provided little or no mentorship; or 2) the company poorly planned future opportunities and failed to successfully build/identify new work for staff on contracts that were expiring.

Advice to Management

Build a leadership worthy of the working level staff you hire.

7. Great Company!!

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great culture set by Susan Kidd
    -Real focus on work/life balance
    -Great colleagues
    -Very employee-centered
    -Challenging and rewarding work
    -Compensation great when considering how many hours are worked
    -More than enough PTO
    -Rapidly growing company
    -In-company training as well as compensation for training received from outside the company
    -Great perks and benefits (commuting, free food, happy hours)

Cons

-Compensation not as good as bigger companies (expected)
    -Not as many projects to choose from due to smaller size
    -Some managers can seem to be out-of-touch
    -Rapidly growing company

Frustrating Company to work for

Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Benefits & PTO
    Work is not challenging or time consuming outside of 9-5.
    There are a lot of really smart and talented people scattered around the company.

Cons

Your experience at the company is really dependent upon which contract you get thrusted into. You could have a great client and work from home 5 days a week, or you could be commuting an hour each way to the client site. Don't expect the company to be looking out for your career interests. If you want to be successful here, you have to keep your head down, not make noise, and bill your hours. The company has a history of terminating employees that rock the boat too much and clash against the status quo. Turnover is exceptionally high here at all levels for a reason.

Advice to Management

Invest in actually training your employees and not just chasing certifications, start over building up the internal processes of the company, and prove to your employees that it's not just about billing. As long as you have this negative mindset in the office, you aren't going to retain real talent.

9. So glad I chose to join DRT!

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DRT is a great company - small size but big enough to have diverse projects and fun yet challenging work, collegial and friendly team members, and supportive leadership!

Cons

Does not have all the big company perks like company business cards for all staff but does have big company-like perks with respect to professional development (Training) allowance, monthly happy hours, and a swanky HQ office in Arlington (Ballston), VA

Advice to Management

Strengthen company wide mentoring program

The corporate culture is exceptional, particularly toward the disabled

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently had major back surgery that laid me up for a considerable period of time. The first thought in everyone's mind, from HR, to my coworkers, to my supervisor, and my project manager was for me to heal up and get rest. Whenever we would finish a meeting or if sending an email message, somebody would remind me to get rest and heal up. I still had to work, but with some flexibility and creativity, I was able to work a full week and still get the rest I needed. When I was needed to make a customer presentation, one of my colleagues came to my house, picked me up, and took me to the customer's site. I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the amount of care the people of DRT showed me, my recuperation would have taken much longer and been quite unpleasant.

Cons

No appreciable cons to speak of.

Talks the Talk....does not Walk the Walk

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

Less stressful than most consulting companies, good benefits.

Cons

Vision of company does not match what actually goes on within the company itself, Senior Leadership lacks talent and skill set to actually lead, keep contracts, and obtain new work. Talented people do not stay long due to BS that goes on at the top.

Advice to Management

Susan Kidd is awesome. She's created this wonderful culture and company that unfortunately, Senior Managers and Execs do not follow. As a result, the company keeps going downhill (number of employees continues to decrease). Senior Managers constantly mismanage, avoid actual problems, and lie to save themselves. Meanwhile anyone below the rank of Sr. Manager suffers greatly and eventually ends up going elsewhere.