DRT Strategies

3.4

Susan M. Kidd

Great Company!!

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great culture set by Susan Kidd
    -Real focus on work/life balance
    -Great colleagues
    -Very employee-centered
    -Challenging and rewarding work
    -Compensation great when considering how many hours are worked
    -More than enough PTO
    -Rapidly growing company
    -In-company training as well as compensation for training received from outside the company
    -Great perks and benefits (commuting, free food, happy hours)

Cons

-Compensation not as good as bigger companies (expected)
    -Not as many projects to choose from due to smaller size
    -Some managers can seem to be out-of-touch
    -Rapidly growing company

Good workers poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

The working level of the company has many bright stars in the waiting that are eager for the right type of leadership and mentorship.

Cons

The management level and senior leadership is callous at best. They routinely "fired" employees without notice and made the terminated employees feel like it was their fault. In most cases I witnessed it was either: 1) the person was placed in a job that they didn't fit and provided little or no mentorship; or 2) the company poorly planned future opportunities and failed to successfully build/identify new work for staff on contracts that were expiring.

Build a leadership worthy of the working level staff you hire.

Frustrating Company to work for

Current Employee - Associate II  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid Benefits & PTO
    Work is not challenging or time consuming outside of 9-5.
    There are a lot of really smart and talented people scattered around the company.

Cons

Your experience at the company is really dependent upon which contract you get thrusted into. You could have a great client and work from home 5 days a week, or you could be commuting an hour each way to the client site. Don't expect the company to be looking out for your career interests. If you want to be successful here, you have to keep your head down, not make noise, and bill your hours. The company has a history of terminating employees that rock the boat too much and clash against the status quo. Turnover is exceptionally high here at all levels for a reason.

Invest in actually training your employees and not just chasing certifications, start over building up the internal processes of the company, and prove to your employees that it's not just about billing. As long as you have this negative mindset in the office, you aren't going to retain real talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So glad I chose to join DRT!

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

DRT is a great company - small size but big enough to have diverse projects and fun yet challenging work, collegial and friendly team members, and supportive leadership!

Cons

Does not have all the big company perks like company business cards for all staff but does have big company-like perks with respect to professional development (Training) allowance, monthly happy hours, and a swanky HQ office in Arlington (Ballston), VA

Strengthen company wide mentoring program

The corporate culture is exceptional, particularly toward the disabled

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for less than a year

Pros

I recently had major back surgery that laid me up for a considerable period of time. The first thought in everyone's mind, from HR, to my coworkers, to my supervisor, and my project manager was for me to heal up and get rest. Whenever we would finish a meeting or if sending an email message, somebody would remind me to get rest and heal up. I still had to work, but with some flexibility and creativity, I was able to work a full week and still get the rest I needed. When I was needed to make a customer presentation, one of my colleagues came to my house, picked me up, and took me to the customer's site. I firmly believe that if it wasn't for the amount of care the people of DRT showed me, my recuperation would have taken much longer and been quite unpleasant.

Cons

No appreciable cons to speak of.

Talks the Talk....does not Walk the Walk

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

Less stressful than most consulting companies, good benefits.

Cons

Vision of company does not match what actually goes on within the company itself, Senior Leadership lacks talent and skill set to actually lead, keep contracts, and obtain new work. Talented people do not stay long due to BS that goes on at the top.

Susan Kidd is awesome. She's created this wonderful culture and company that unfortunately, Senior Managers and Execs do not follow. As a result, the company keeps going downhill (number of employees continues to decrease). Senior Managers constantly mismanage, avoid actual problems, and lie to save themselves. Meanwhile anyone below the rank of Sr. Manager suffers greatly and eventually ends up going elsewhere.

Not the place you can build your career, focus solely on billing

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

OK benefits
    No travel
    OK work/life benefits

Cons

There is a major disconnect between management and assocciates. A lot of talented people have left the company in last two years. The way they value their employees is inconsistent same goes for how the promotions are handled.

Ok company

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some excellent consultants with great personalities and professional skills. Benefits are "ok".

Cons

Some managers are good but others are quite terrible. Not sure how these people are chosen but many don't have the required skills or personality to manage others! There's VERY little communication between Managers and Associates. Associates at all levels are expected to operate on their own but when Managers write reviews, they sometimes write things that are simply not true. The pay increase, annual review and promotions are a big mystery and cause a lot of dissatisfaction among the employees. I have been with DRT Strategies for 3 years and the company has declined significantly over the last couple of years. The turnover is HUGE and lots of good people left because the management is horrible.

Come down from Mount Olympus once in a while and talk to the Associates. We are the workforce that keeps the company profitable and are treated like comodities.

DRT is an amazing company that truly cares about its employees!

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work culture, Life/Work Balance, Positive Learning Environment, Fun activities and perks

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Work to ensure consistency in processes throughout the company.

Typical Small Government Contractor

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- DRT is a very comfortable place to work.
    - Compensation and benefits are more than fair (4 weeks off plus 4% 401k Match).
    - Work/Life balance is excellent, rare to work more than 40 hrs a week
    - People in the office are very nice and are easy to talk to
    - Strong 3 year growth
    - Very competent corporate staff for the most part

Cons

- As a small company, there sometimes is not a lot of choice for which task orders you get placed into.
    - Primary focus is on billable hours and filling client needs, employee needs come 2nd
    - Some managers/senior managers are very stereotypically middle management
    - Lack of mentorship/advising within the company. No advocate for an employee except for a manager, which can change quickly when given a different project.
    - HR is rather unhelpful

Focus more on employee development/retention rather than bending over backwards for the immediate client need. Develop the mentorship program more, because right now it's lacking.

Worked for DRT Strategies? Contribute to the Community!