DRW Trading Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
28 reviews filtered by
3.3
DRW Trading Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Good fun experiance

I worked at DRW Trading

Pros

Great training, lots of intelligent people working around you, high pace, great work environment

Cons

this company expects you to work long hours for them and they require am intern course.

2. very political place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free breakfast, lunch, flexible working hours for backoffice positions, very bright office environment, yoga, health insurance, etc. benefits

Cons

a lot of behind-the-door conversation, minimal collaboration between different groups, very hierarchical corporate structure, extremly high turn-over rate for fresh graduates

treat people with 2 hops nicer, don't just listen to your direct reports and trust everything they say.

3. Good place to work, but make sure you want to work here

Former Employee - Trading Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trading Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good employees, good pay structure to start, good training

Cons

they put an emphasis on education and it's only for the first 5 weeks. traders often leave early or are hard to talk to. you really have to make it on your own. They are still developing traders as if its the 90s or the 2000s. Didn't really see much room to grow.

Cut the fat, don't hire people you don't need. And train your new hires, you're just recruiting talent, training them to the minimum and watching a lot of them leave.

5. Walk to Talk

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, massages, wine tasting, activities

Cons

They have a facade from how they really treat the people they work with. Their vendors are especially subjected to taking a reduced fee just to get paid, even though their is a contract for services. I have experienced many situations where they did not pay their vendors for services rendered. They have a macho attitude...hey were rich sue us.

Think back on the service providers you stiffed and make right on your contracts. It is peanuts to Mr. Wilson. You might be on the top of the mountain now but everyone can fall. Have some humility for when you do not pay for service you received you take from hard working people with children to feed. Not everyone is a big time trader. Don't act like your real people, down to earth. How low will a company stoop to not pay a single mom consultant raising children on her own? I witnessed all the work that was done on your companies behalf. I have run into the vendor you did not pay several times over the past year.
    Mr. Wilson, you need to walk to talk.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, nice perks and benefits. Job is extremely fast-paced, organisation is quite meritocratic. No-BS mentality. Some of the people are extremely smart but not all. Most people are street-smart rather than book smart.

Cons

Very hard work, minimal collaboration between groups, occasionally this leads to issues / conflicts, but nothing serious. Really very few cons. Company lacks a strong quantitative culture, it retains the old floor trading mentality although the quality of software engineers is very high.

Generally a good place to work, work harder to attract quantitative talent.

Great business people, political IT managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good benefits, game room, decent pay

Cons

some IT managers do nothing but politics

do some weeding and the company will be much better

8. Good

Current Employee - Trading Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trading Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and good compensation

Cons

Some of the people were arrogant

World class prop shop that does a lot to take care of the people that work there.

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's competitive and people in every area are held accountable for their individual and team/desk performance. So if you're looking for an easy job where you don't have to try, this isn't the place. But if you want to work hard and grow quickly, DRW is great.

Cons

It's a trading company. So, there's a lot of machismo and it's a bit of a drinking (after work) culture, but there are some women traders/quants/software engineers/IT and

Build a more substantial training and cross-training program.

Overall a good company

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch and breakfast, massages, lots of company events

Cons

Overstaffed in some areas, lack of internal mobility

No Regrets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DRW is a place where I was able to expand my knowledge in both systems and industries. I would certainly not use the word 'empowered' but I felt as though my job was important and that was communicated to me regularly. I had a great relationship with my boss for the most part and the open environment encourages and assists with inter-group collaboration. I had the freedom to make suggestions to anyone, explore ways of making processes better and then acting on them, and working with a multitude of people across various departments. As mentioned in other posts, the benefits and pay are amazing - inclusing of free breakfast/lunch, massages, wine tastings, unlimited snacks/drinks, and an awesome bonus package (relatively speaking). I also found a solid work-life balance and was supported in various opportunities to further this effort during some personal situations.

Cons

A lot of the reviews on here say the firm is bloated, which makes it hard to advance (and also depends on who you work for in which area of the firm). I would tend to agree with all of these sentiments. The advancement opportunities are slim to none and the communication from the top down is poor (two of the main reasons why I left). Although management brags somewhat about an open door policy, there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of closed door conversations and decisions, ultimately diminishing employee trust and morale. Someone else referred to huge egos and politics citing a poor follow through on their "no a**holes policy" -- couldn't agree with that more.