DRW Trading

DRW Trading Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

DRW Trading Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

World class prop shop that does a lot to take care of the people that work there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's competitive and people in every area are held accountable for their individual and team/desk performance. So if you're looking for an easy job where you don't have to try, this isn't the place. But if you want to work hard and grow quickly, DRW is great.

ConsIt's a trading company. So, there's a lot of machismo and it's a bit of a drinking (after work) culture, but there are some women traders/quants/software engineers/IT and

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a more substantial training and cross-training program.

Overall a good company

Trader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree lunch and breakfast, massages, lots of company events

ConsOverstaffed in some areas, lack of internal mobility

No Regrets

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDRW is a place where I was able to expand my knowledge in both systems and industries. I would certainly not use the word 'empowered' but I felt as though my job was important and that was communicated to me regularly. I had a great relationship with my boss for the most part and the open environment encourages and assists with inter-group collaboration. I had the freedom to make suggestions to anyone, explore ways of making processes better and then acting on them, and working with a multitude of people across various departments. As mentioned in other posts, the benefits and pay are amazing - inclusing of free breakfast/lunch, massages, wine tastings, unlimited snacks/drinks, and an awesome bonus package (relatively speaking). I also found a solid work-life balance and was supported in various opportunities to further this effort during some personal situations.

ConsA lot of the reviews on here say the firm is bloated, which makes it hard to advance (and also depends on who you work for in which area of the firm). I would tend to agree with all of these sentiments. The advancement opportunities are slim to none and the communication from the top down is poor (two of the main reasons why I left). Although management brags somewhat about an open door policy, there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of closed door conversations and decisions, ultimately diminishing employee trust and morale. Someone else referred to huge egos and politics citing a poor follow through on their "no a**holes policy" -- couldn't agree with that more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working in electronic trading has some very challenging technical problems. I like a challenge.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat culture of open minded people working together, right up to the very top level. I always feel valued and listened to - there is a culture or respecting each other, even when opinions differ. To be competitive, we need have to be smart. Developers will choose the most appropriate languages and technologies in order to solve the problem at hand.

ConsPeople get bored when you tell them you work in the trading industry.

mediocre

Software Engineering (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prospartners are decent and upstanding people

Consmanagement very green, tech and trading teams are quite bloated, they can do with less than half the people. not entreprenuerial. problem is they worry about school brand names and hire people who are happy to play around with technology but don't really produce any new businesses.You can tell, people hang around there , for above average pay, and low stress, but i wouldn't consider it a trading firm in the real sense of the word.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it a trading firm, create tight trader and tech teams, cut half the staff. hire entreprenuerial people willing to take lower salaries and bigger upside.

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Extremely smart coworkers
    - Traders are generally reasonable to work with
    - A lot of freedom to choose whatever languages/tools fit the job
    - Great perks: free breakfast and lunch, massages, phone, laptop, wine tastings, outings
    - Intellectually stimulating and varied work

Cons- Organizational structure sometimes discourages useful collaboration between groups

They have shown good loyalty and trust in employees who have shown the same to them.

Trader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLoyalty. They will give you a lot of leeway to prove yourself. Hard work will earn trust from the partners. There is also good motivation by the partners to expand and explore new markets when it makes sense for them to enter them.

ConsNot all partners are good bosses. Your experience and compensation depends entirely on the partner you work for.

Thought it would be a better place to work.

Trader, Eurodollar Options MM CME Globex (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe traders are competent. Smart people work there.

ConsThe culture can be particularly nasty at times, especially when working long hours in a highly competitive environment. It's not uncommon to be berated or personally insulted by other traders, managers, and brokers/traders from other firms, to the extent that it's actually similar to high school bullying. There was also inadequate training from senior traders as they were often too busy with daily trading activities to train new traders (not enough support given to compensate for this...i.e. extra training classes--a few new traders slipped through the cracks because of this). I was in the Eurodollar group, which is the same group the CEO trades in.

more hype, go for name brands, way overstaffed, more like a bank than a trading firm

Programmer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosdecent base pay, for techies it is good to play around with tech,

Consno entreprenuerial traders, spend lot of time but no new profitable/trading ideas.
    seem to work hard, but no real results.was over staffed, to make new ventures profitable.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it like a trading firm, revamp compentation structure,
    create groups where traders/tech guys have skin in the game.
    cut down half the staff, frankly it is quite bloated.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat innovative culture, especially in technology

ConsLack of direction for some

Worked for DRW Trading? Contribute to the Community!