DRW Trading

DRW Trading Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
3.4

DRW Trading Founder & CEO Donald R. Wilson, Jr.
Donald R. Wilson, Jr.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great compensation, nice perks and benefits. Job is extremely fast-paced, organisation is quite meritocratic. No-BS mentality. Some of the people are extremely smart but not all. Most people are street-smart rather than book smart.

Cons

Very hard work, minimal collaboration between groups, occasionally this leads to issues / conflicts, but nothing serious. Really very few cons. Company lacks a strong quantitative culture, it retains the old floor trading mentality although the quality of software engineers is very high.

Generally a good place to work, work harder to attract quantitative talent.

Great business people, political IT managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, game room, decent pay

Cons

some IT managers do nothing but politics

do some weeding and the company will be much better

Good

Current Employee - Trading Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Trading Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance and good compensation

Cons

Some of the people were arrogant

World class prop shop that does a lot to take care of the people that work there.

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's competitive and people in every area are held accountable for their individual and team/desk performance. So if you're looking for an easy job where you don't have to try, this isn't the place. But if you want to work hard and grow quickly, DRW is great.

Cons

It's a trading company. So, there's a lot of machismo and it's a bit of a drinking (after work) culture, but there are some women traders/quants/software engineers/IT and

Build a more substantial training and cross-training program.

Overall a good company

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch and breakfast, massages, lots of company events

Cons

Overstaffed in some areas, lack of internal mobility

No Regrets

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DRW Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DRW is a place where I was able to expand my knowledge in both systems and industries. I would certainly not use the word 'empowered' but I felt as though my job was important and that was communicated to me regularly. I had a great relationship with my boss for the most part and the open environment encourages and assists with inter-group collaboration. I had the freedom to make suggestions to anyone, explore ways of making processes better and then acting on them, and working with a multitude of people across various departments. As mentioned in other posts, the benefits and pay are amazing - inclusing of free breakfast/lunch, massages, wine tastings, unlimited snacks/drinks, and an awesome bonus package (relatively speaking). I also found a solid work-life balance and was supported in various opportunities to further this effort during some personal situations.

Cons

A lot of the reviews on here say the firm is bloated, which makes it hard to advance (and also depends on who you work for in which area of the firm). I would tend to agree with all of these sentiments. The advancement opportunities are slim to none and the communication from the top down is poor (two of the main reasons why I left). Although management brags somewhat about an open door policy, there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of closed door conversations and decisions, ultimately diminishing employee trust and morale. Someone else referred to huge egos and politics citing a poor follow through on their "no a**holes policy" -- couldn't agree with that more.

Working in electronic trading has some very challenging technical problems. I like a challenge.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture of open minded people working together, right up to the very top level. I always feel valued and listened to - there is a culture or respecting each other, even when opinions differ. To be competitive, we need have to be smart. Developers will choose the most appropriate languages and technologies in order to solve the problem at hand.

Cons

People get bored when you tell them you work in the trading industry.

mediocre

Current Employee - Software Engineering in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time (more than an year)

Pros

partners are decent and upstanding people

Cons

management very green, tech and trading teams are quite bloated, they can do with less than half the people. not entreprenuerial. problem is they worry about school brand names and hire people who are happy to play around with technology but don't really produce any new businesses.You can tell, people hang around there , for above average pay, and low stress, but i wouldn't consider it a trading firm in the real sense of the word.

make it a trading firm, create tight trader and tech teams, cut half the staff. hire entreprenuerial people willing to take lower salaries and bigger upside.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time

Pros

- Extremely smart coworkers
    - Traders are generally reasonable to work with
    - A lot of freedom to choose whatever languages/tools fit the job
    - Great perks: free breakfast and lunch, massages, phone, laptop, wine tastings, outings
    - Intellectually stimulating and varied work

Cons

- Organizational structure sometimes discourages useful collaboration between groups

They have shown good loyalty and trust in employees who have shown the same to them.

I have been working at DRW Trading full-time

Pros

Loyalty. They will give you a lot of leeway to prove yourself. Hard work will earn trust from the partners. There is also good motivation by the partners to expand and explore new markets when it makes sense for them to enter them.

Cons

Not all partners are good bosses. Your experience and compensation depends entirely on the partner you work for.