DSC Logistics Reviews

Ann M. Drake

1. Hated my job

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Perris, CA
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Perris, CA

I worked at DSC Logistics (less than a year)

Pros

Paychecks were about 2 grand biweekly, nice management team, good employee appreciation events.

Cons

Worked 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, production expectations were too high for working 72 hours a week, we are not robots. ALOT of favoritism from the shipping clerks, work load was not even for everyone.

2. Good Co-Op Experience

Former Intern - Industrial Engineering Co-Op in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Intern - Industrial Engineering Co-Op in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at DSC Logistics as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Very involved in day to day business of the company. Given lots of responsibility and ability to create opportunities for yourself early.

Cons

Lots of travel, occasionally at the last minute. Many of the engineers will be traveling so it can be hard to always get to know everyone well.

Pay Co-Ops for their travel. Not receiving compensation for company dictated travel does not help people want to travel.

3. Weird Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great distribution center operations, field employees seemed to have cohesive teams, Halloween decorating and trick or treating for the kids of employees was fun.

Cons

The CEO is an odd duck. Little quirky things such as being allowed to wear jeans on Fridays but they can't be blue - really? Also they are big on pre-employment testing. So much that candidates need to pass before even getting an interview and many do not pass. They would bring in large numbers of people to the cafeteria to take the tests together like an SAT room then have them leave after 2 hours with no interview. Those that passed were invited back. People felt like herded cattle. They also have an industrial psychologist that gives final interviews to determine fit but she is a friend of the CEO and I don't think she really uses psychology as much as whether or not she likes the person. The senior leaders have a god complex and treat regular employees like inferior beings. Overall I felt like it was the wrong fit from about day 3 but there weren't a lot of opportunities out there so I sucked it up for a few years then jumped ship when something better came along...

All levels should be eligible for bonuses

5. needs a shake-up

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time

Pros

The employees are very amiable and easy to get along with; everyone seems to enjoy working together.

Cons

This company has a very outdated outlook on business interactions and expansion. It has not adapted to current technologies and lacks modern technology and networking in the workplace. The company has a very old feel to it in terms of both business techniques as well as the physical building--not much money has been invested in employee work conditions.

Invest more money in employee work conditions and start accepting younger input in business decisions.

6. Not so Much

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are easy to work with.

Cons

Everything else is a CON

7. Great Internship Opportunity

Former Intern - VAS Co-Op in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Intern - VAS Co-Op in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at DSC Logistics as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

During my time at DSC Logistics I was involved in many cross-functional teams, traveling to different sites, and working on major projects. I worked in a small department, and I believe that I was able to experience many different opportunities during my internship.

Cons

Not a great amount of growth in the company.

Good beginner experience

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time

Pros

People are good to work with.

Cons

Travel can affect personal life significantly.

9. Chewed up, sucked dry, spit out

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great customer base typically ensures job stability. engineering and site design/layout/implementation are solid. though antiquated, the operating system is fairly comprehensive and has been well-tweaked over the years. company's primary focus is safety, and it shows: very low accident rate, very few injuries. company is "fair" especially if you are a big fan of socialism

Cons

HR makes up the rules as they go along, rules are not enforced uniformly for all, upper management is allowed to engage in boorish, condescending behavior with no accountability. bottom to top feedback is not solicited, so management's opinion of itself is one-sided and offers no opportunity for improvement. I was afforded zero guidance, training, assistance, consulting, or support on my career or my growth. Continually made to feel as a third wheel since management had little to no technical aptitude to understand what I did. Absolutely no concern was afforded to the work/life balance they destroyed by giving me a workload which required 12-14 hr days + weekends.

Solicit feedback on management from the workforce. You owe it to yourselves to receive anonymous feedback from those with a vested interest. The DSC culture is abysmal at best.

Very Unprofessional Company

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at DSC Logistics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

my hours were 6am to 2pm

Cons

inexperienced management who could not separate friendships from business, cliques and head management was non supportive. HR was very unprofessional and allowed management to run them. No room for growth

Upper management need to pay attention to those employees who are committed to getting the job done

11. Good company for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at DSC Logistics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller corporate office, access to executives. Continual improvement-helps employees learn the skills needed for success, and promotes within. Movement to other departments.
    Outstanding work-life balance, ability to work from home as needed. Reasonable deadlines and workload.

Cons

Promotions and advancement vary from each manager. I've worked under different managers, some would disregard my concerns with career growth, while others heavily vested in me (these departments I stayed in)

Alignment on the value of employees. Small jestures make employees feel valued. Invest in your top performers, once they feel under-valued, they will start looking else where.