DSCI

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven De Chiaro

Good

ProsNo micromanagers in the company which is both good and bad. They didn't foresee the lousy contracting situation and lost the contract. If they were more hands on they would have had more insight into the issues.

ConsHire way to many retired government leaders thinking they can bring new work to the company. In 7 years that has yet to happen

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professional marketing team

They crack me up . . .

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay was ok, vacation time was good, management stunk! Thank God I am no longer there.

ConsThere is NO OPEN DOOR policy at this place. No No No, closed and locked! Management does not trust anyone. They make some of their corporate people work 9 hour days and get 8 hours pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the huge picture of yourself off the walls!! What an ego, huh?

Last days of solvency!

IT Tech (Current Employee)
    Aberdeen, MD

ProsThe pay is decent, there are quite a few talented individuals, good processes in place on paper.

ConsWorking at DSCI is a roller coaster ride and Corporate leadership are not able to properly direct the company due to the CEO.The cultural climate has been dismal over the past 3 years due to the poor decisions at the Executive level which have financially strangled the company's credit and credibility. DCAA audit of Task order 27 will never end.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey know what needs to be done, but have know means to implement required changes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disaster in The Making

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsSome good people but they are all gone!

ConsThe leadership just doesn't get it. That's because there is no leadership. It's a bunch of family members and rejects from other companies. They let their brightest workers go because the CEO has no idea where the true issues are. Maybe he should pay a visit to his locations outside of New Jersey. Better yet make it a surprise visit and he will see that his leadership is absent. Some reviews say the pay is good. It is until you factor in that you are expected to work 130 hour pay periods and yes all the comments about rants and threats are true. As far as new contracts are concerned there aren't any. This company can't compete in this environment and they refuse to pay their subcontractors so their reputation in the industry is crap. If you really need a job take it but you better be looking for another one in the process. Employee owned, that's the only way they can get capital by artificially inflating the share value. You would have to be a complete idiot to invest in this company. This corporation is made up of a bunch of companies in name only. There is a reason why you can't find any core capabilities on their website, they have none.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some real leaders if you can find them and convince them to work at DSCI. Get out and engage and you will see where the real problems are. Your leadership runs away from responsibility. Then again you can't expect them to win contracts if you have no capability.

Good Place to Work Except for Unnecessary Stresses

Senior Technologist (Former Employee)
    Eatontown, NJ

ProsGood salary, good benefits, professional and talented co-workers, nice facility.

ConsGiven the declining defense budget, company needs to adapt and change in order to survive. Company management have no idea how to react to this reality, so CEO just does things that seem irrational or counterproductive. During my short tenure with the company, saw one of two things happening on a daily basis: ignore the business realities and keep doing what has been done before or do knee jerk reactions that cause the death spiral to be deeper and
    faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany could survive and prosper if the CEO had a plan and then executed on that plan. My advice is for the company to hire an outside consultant to come up with a survival plan and then the CEO agrees to execute on it.

Not the place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay higher then most contractors

ConsHigher management lies to include the CEO Steve DeChiaro. If your promised something by this company you better make sure its in writing or your screwed!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the CEO of the company don't make offers you know you don't plan to keep.

Some good coworkers, but management is all over the board.

IT Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, very good beneifits, work opportunities in interesting locations.

ConsParanoid management. I have never worked for a company so obsessed with timesheets. There is a standing order throughout the company that if someone's timesheet is not completed by midnight on any work day, they and their immediate supervisor are automatically fired. These people are more concerned with timesheets than anything else you will be asked to do. It is insane.

Besides timesheets, the project I was on was run by an inexperienced thuggish PM who used firing as a means of settling political scores. To make matters worse, this man was extremely paranoid and was certain that everyone was trying to slight him. This led to a very corrosive work environment where people were constantly afraid that they would be summarily fired with no warning. When working in a foreign country, this is a serious worry because when someone was fired (and people were unjustly fired), they were sent back to the states without having time to pack up their household goods or tie up loose ends.

Overall, working for this company is not worth it, which is a shame because they are pretty good on most things such as pay and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a moment to consider that the problems may have something to do with you.

You have to laugh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaid well, Level "B" employees on down were good to go

ConsThe axe is always swinging, you would call corporate and talk to someone before lunch and after lunch you would try to talk to them and they would be gone. Their process' are well there aren't any. Subs are paid late, you are paid late on expense reports. Truly just a horribly run company. Not sure if the CEO has any idea what his senior management does but sometimes you would laugh at how bad things were at this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTART OVER. I guess this is what you are doing, could not compete as a large company so you are laying off your workforce to compete as a small business

Be Aware When Working for DSCI

Management Support (Current Employee)
    Aberdeen, MD

ProsThe benefits were great prior to the implementation of Affordable Healthcare

ConsSee Advise to Management / New Rules

Advice to Senior ManagementNew Rule: Having an admin assistant enter on a regular how great it is to work for DSCI is considered Fraud

New Rule: In the IT business your clients is suppose to like you

New Rule: As a supporting IT company, DSCI managers should never throw the Government lead under a moving bus, repeatedly

New Rule: Constantly blaming The Obama Administration and the Government for your short comings is not prudent

New Rule: Your management team at APG should have an excellent reputation with their clients

New Rule: When hiring former government employees ensure they have not been under a Federal Investigation. In addition, ensure they have a excellent/good reputation with their former organization.

New Rule: Bullying your employees is not prudent. Memories are long...

New Rule: Having one of the most powerful individuals on APG Base angry with you on several levels is not healthy for long-term business

New Rule: As a reminder, DSCI has collided with the ice-burg and now underwater for numerous reasons. One being, your management team has been asleep at the wheel for so many years. Thank God the Government has finally woke-up to the zero value-add received to date.

New Rule: Not transitioning FDM showed what type of company DSCI really is. You have put your former client at risk. You loss that business for a reason; you were not performing as usual.

New Rule: Karma is real…

Overall, my tenure at DSCI has been great.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsSalaries are better than most companies. Some defense contracting companies will low ball contracts and higher less experienced employees to fill seats. DSCI, employs, experienced professionals at most levels. Not only do they pay their employees well to retain them, but they also put you on different projects/contracts to ensure longevity with the company. Project managers and middle management are very hard working and understand work-life balance. Also, hard work and expertise don't go "unnoticed".

ConsThe only downside that I have seen, is the CEO is awesome is most regards, but a bit of a micro-manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to work hard and give them opportunities to succeed. Hold them accountable for their work. If they don't succeed, find out what they need to be successful. If they are just unmotivated, fire them. If they need guidance, provide it for them. Invest in the employees and treat them like professionals.

Worked for DSCI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DSCI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DSCI CEO Steven De Chiaro. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by DSCI employees.