DSCI

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
1.8

Steven De Chiaro

Pros
  • Coworkers were great people and very capable in their respective fields (in 5 reviews)

• Project managers and middle management are very hard working and understand work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No job security - have seen competent people hired then laid off within several weeks for no good reason (in 7 reviews)

• Complete and total lack of communication from senior management during tough financial times (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior management needs to learn how to lead.

I worked at DSCI full-time

Pros

I was generally well treated and recognized for good performance by appropriate promotions and raises.

Cons

Complete and total lack of communication from senior management during tough financial times. There were a series of multiple lay offs and not one town hall or message from senior leadership (I hesitate to use that term) regarding the issues affecting the company. One day you were working closely with collegues both locally and at corporate HQ and the next day they were simply, gone.

When times get tough it is time to open up communications between all levels, NOT to close them down.

Do not work here

I worked at DSCI

Pros

i cant think of any.

Cons

everythign and anything. working here was mostly stressful and crazy. no work life balance.

Beware of Flexible Spending Account Money

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Starting salary is above average

Cons

DSCI offers Flexible Spending Account (FSA) so that employees can save money for medical or childcare cost. However to claim YOUR money back (which DSCI has deducted from the salary) takes a LONG time.

They told Benefit Tax Link (the company who handles the paperwork for claims) they can only submit employees claim once a month. Usually the cutoff day is the 25th of the month, and per DSCI's request, to submit the claims on the 1st of the following month. That means claims submitted on September 25, cannot be submitted to DSCI until November 1. It will take another 4 weeks until DSCI writes the check, so on average you won't see your own money until 2 months later.

It gets worse, if 25th is a holiday, like Thanksgiving holiday, the cutoff day is the 18th of the month, that mean if you submit you claim on November 19, your claim will not reach DSCI until January 1, 2015, and you won't see your check until January 31, 2015. I had a conversation with Benefit Tax Link, none of their other clients have this policy, DSCI just wants to hold on to our money as long as possible.

Treat your employees fairly

Terrible Company To Work For

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is very high even if you don't have the education or work experience. It's easy to lie during your interview because they're stupid enough to pay you what you ask for, which is extremely high, but it bought me my house...suckers!

Cons

Upper Management is a joke. There are some great people in Upper Management who are good people outside of DSCI. Inside the company office they are complete crooks. The CEO's family is safe as employees (and incredibly hot). They run their own business using DSCI resources. Want a good laugh...keep your ears to the wall when the maniac CEO is fired-up screaming at his employees. I have plenty of videos on my phone to prove it. They used to have good raises and used to pay tuition...not anymore. Their benefits suck! They hold huge layoffs each year without telling anyone. Their Holiday parties are over-expensive. One time they took their warehouse and turned it into a nightclub because they were too cheap to hold it anywhere else. Little did they know what was actually going on in the offices WHILE the party was happening...haha suckers!

in a few years most people would say ---DSCI who?

Don't Expect to be Treated Like a Professional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Initial pay was competitive, but as company went down tubes...so did employee compensation and benefits.
    -Met some talented professionals who helped my career grow, however, we all left when we lost respect for management because of tiresome insults and embarrassment.
    -All my checks cashed, more than I can say for the company's creditors.

Cons

-Family fun day 2013 for APG employees canceled only after it was announced and everyone went home and told their families that we were going to an Aberdeen Ironbirds game....EMBARRASSING!!!
    -The 2013 Holiday Party, (goes down in DSCI lore as 'The Boat Ride') where Stevie D came onboard for a 'very special presentation', but just confirmed that Steve is a narcissist fool with his insulting presentation that ambushed employees right before the holidays and left folks running for exits that didn't exist on a vessel moving over the harbor.
    -After SuperStorm Sandy hit the east coast, company management belittled employees who didn't get their time sheets in because of natural disaster. Again, employees had incurred property damage, were worried about clean food and water for family, and HAD NO POWER! Yet company thought it more important to lecture employees about the vacation time the the company was taking from everyone for the two days many things were shutdown. A good corporate citizen would have stepped up and supported employees and the surrounding community.
    -All tuition reimbursement eliminated for 2013 and beyond.
    -Floating holiday eliminated and all employees required to work that time on proposals.

Quit, start over and please take the lessons learned from this train wreck to become better professionals at your next opportunity. Learn corporate ethics and stop giving business professionals from New Jersey a terrible name.

The biggest joke in the industry

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is heat and hot water, most of the time.

Cons

Everything about this company is a joke. They hire "professionals" earning top rates from the Government, who do not have the first clue about what they are supposedly 'experts" in. Barely squeaking by in Government commitments, and even when they are not, just a shrug of the shoulders and a "lets see if they notice" attitude. Major security infractions ignored and covered up by the FSO and head of IT, including the leaking of classified information. Let's just wipe their desktops and blackberries and hope no one notices. DCAA needs an office there full time for a reason, maybe they need to have someone there full time looking over the emailing of classified information and the blatant coverups by their so called professional security team. Complete joke, and a danger to the Government if they are allowed to continue with support of programs requiring classified access.

Give up and shut down, this company is not only incompetent, but dangerous.

DO NOT WORK FOR D&SCI

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Aberdeen, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Aberdeen, MD

I have been working at DSCI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

DSCI NONE Except to have health insurance

Cons

DSCI MANGEMENT REALLY SUCKS!!!! They do not know how to treat employees right. The will fire you for no REASON!!! Or EXPLANATION!!!!!

Replace you management they are all CROOKS!!!

Best & worst place I've worked

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Eatontown, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Eatontown, NJ

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned the most at this job because I had an excellent procurement manager, My career took off after DSCI and can truly say my immediate manager was top notch and laid the groundwork for me to be where I am today, for that, ill be forever grateful...it stops there....

Cons

DSCI is above all the most shady, political and corrupt company I have ever worked for.

Quit! Husband and wife, kids and neighbors (who do nothing) are all secure. the people that work the hardest and show the most talent are not safe in this place.

Frankly speaking, not a bad company. Benefits are good.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at DSCI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No micro management, team members are friendly. Paid overtime. Program manager is very nice.

Cons

Some communication problem. As a developer, sometimes I don't even have a fully finished project requirement...

Na

Awful. Horrible. Demeaning. Terrible. Selfish Management. Insane Asylum Run by Megalomaniac.

I worked at DSCI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's not jail - the pay is comparatively good & you can leave. Remember: It's not your fault. It's just not your fault. You joined a horribly dysfunctional company with a poisonous atmosphere that used to seem like a good opportunity. When the "first year employee" (wink wink it was TOP management) wrote the review entitled "Good Company Hit By Hard Times" and wondered why dissatisfied employees just didn't "walk out the front door" WAKE UP. There are very few jobs out there and most of us can't give ourselves yearly million dollar bonuses on top of three quarter million dollar salaries, pay spouses close to a half a million and then wonder why people with families can't just walk out like you could.

Cons

Case in point - aren't huge oil paintings of a companies' "founder and CEO" usually reserved for the likes of Henry Ford, Steve Jobs, Sam Walton, Walt Disney ect? Go check out DSCI's lobbies in Eatontown and Aberdeen - both have enormous oil paintings of the CEO glaring at you. Get over yourself - you're no where near a captain of industry. And just who paid for these self promoting delusions of grandeur? Let me guess - like all the other expensive artwork, executive furniture, giant TVs, Hummers, wildly expensive dinners and first class travel and hotels - the "employee owned company". All in the face of financial ruin. Where these purchases put up for a employee vote?

There is simply no right way with this guy. Instead of paintings maybe he should put mirrors up so he can look at himself in the face and see if he likes the person he is. Or is the lying so pervasive that he can't even be truthful to himself.

The company is sinking fast, though unqualified and under educated friends, family, in-laws, neighbors and childhood chums enjoy job security and inflated salaries. Terrible environment where employee unhappiness is palpable. Layoff after layoff of the "little people". Pay cuts. Questionable business practices resulting in extreme Government scrutiny and not just the ire of "a disgruntled DCAA employee" as the first year (wink wink) author of "Good Company Hit By Hard Times" claims. Really? One "disgruntled DCAA employee" has enough power & authority to bring down the "largest DoD contractor in NJ" that's "been in business for 20 years". Give me a break. Just an attempt by management to "spin the story" when questioned about the sorry state of affairs (FYI all of industry knows what's happening). CEO not happy unless you work 12 hour days seven days a week - unless your one of his "yes men" who dart out at 5PM. If you like being screamed at, lied to, nepotism and rampant back stabbing, this is the place for you. Otherwise run away. Run out the front door. Commuting to APG for 3 hours each way to work at a sane company for management that actually cares about its employees well being, work/life balance and happiness is a much healthier alternative.

My dogs could run a profitable company if they sold subcontractor goods and services with no intention of ever paying for them and get away with it forever. 100 percent profit! Too bad it would catch up & they'd get caught eventually - and their business would go under. Sound familiar?

Do the Board of Directors have a clue what is going on with this "employee owned" company? They need new management across the board, not people that hide away during layoffs. Pay your creditors. Settle with the Government. Go out with some credibility. Sell the company now and salvage what you can - current employees will jump for joy even if they have to go on unemployment. Just pull the plug before you start missing payroll (again). Stop the lies. Stop taking advantage of people who are stuck there. Stop making people miserable. You're in the wrong business. Just stop everything. It just doesn't work anymore.