DSM

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Feike Sijbesma

Pros
  • Work-Life balance, good pay, good growth (in 3 reviews)

• Very good working environment, open management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You aren't much, if you're not Dutch" Claims to be diverse but, is not (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

would recommend

Quality (Former Employee)

ProsOK compensation and benefits. With good career oppotunities. Good work/ life balance. Providing reimbursement for tuition. Yes, would recommend to friends.

Conscompensation and benefits could be a little bit better. A lot of Europeans in senior management level, which might be a cultural difference.

Great company to work and develop

Business Controller, Vice President Finance (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood management, strong strategic focus, good education and development opportunities, diverse portfolio of markets and businesses, room for development via project related work or business competitions is very rewarding.

ConsCan sometimes suffer from Corporate Inertia, but not more than a lot of other big companies...
    HR system can be very rigid, with promotions and rewards very much process- and rule based with limited room for deviation if necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome a bit more agile both with high performers as well as performance laggards!

27 years dsm augusta, ga

APC (Current Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsDecent benefits and salary is average for other chemical plants in the area

ConsIf you want to work they don't mind, hence if you dont want to work they don't mind either .You can give 30 to 40 percent and be promoted to supervision as long as you tell them what they want to hear.Too many lazy people that dont want to do the job they should be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the people on the bottom find out the truth .Hold people accountable , remember their working for your company you act as if your working for them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsDSM is an stablished professional company.

ConsThe company can be a little mechanical in management practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Poor company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood technical capabilities and manufacturing sites.

ConsStrategy changes continually, with the knock-on effect of employees wondering what their immediate role is & imperiling future job security.
    The organization is rife with cliques, with people being treated very differently dependent upon their clique.
    Micromanagement has been taken to new heights; there is little trust or autonomy for employees.
    The sheer number of internal meetings, training sessions, and other initiatives will leave you wondering when there is time to do your job!

Advice to Senior ManagementReview how local sites operate to prevent local fiefdoms.

Growing company, Bad Management

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsInternational company, interesting work, lots of room for improvement in process, usually open to new ideas and ways to do things

ConsManagement keeps changing and no clear direction. No one knows who is the decision maker so not much gets implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more centralized and transparent in common employee matters. Promote from within and develop internal bench strength.

My experienced was short-lived.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Freeport, TX

ProsCompany values were strong and team work was apparent.

ConsHired direct family members, which could lead to bad business operations. Benefits were good, but compensation was lacking in some positions

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct a salary study of the area, and refrain from hiring too many immediate family members.

Change is constant

Manager (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsPlenty of opportunity to take on stretch assignments
    Stable company; diverse portfolio
    Global exposure
    Generous benefits

ConsCulturally speaking, it feels like many small companies
    Patchwork of systems that require duplicative efforts and frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the generous benefits to executives (e.g. car allowance) and invest in global information systems that will help us realize synergies adn reduce teh cost and time to analyze data that drives the business.

Hold people accountable for the realizing the business case on initiatives.

It has been a career growing

Operational Planning Scheduler (Current Employee) Frankfort, IN

ProsThe business always puts safety first, I had plenty of career growing opportunities due to my drive and work ethic. I started as a warehouse worker and worked my way to the Operational Planning Scheduler

ConsOnce you get to a certain point there becomes limited or no advancement opportunities, people grow stagnate in positions with no advancement options and no early retirement available

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer early retirement to create new opportunities and bring in new ideas

I would work here again.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Greenville, NC

ProsGood working environment, very safety concerned, fair pay.

ConsWomen not likely to be found in management positions here. Mostly white men here.

Worked for DSM? Contribute to the Community!