DST Systems

www.dstsystems.com

DST Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014
DST Systems – Kansas City – “DST”

DST Systems – Kansas City – “DST”

Stephen Hooley

Pros
  • Good benefits as far as health insurance, vacation, 401K (in 18 reviews)

• ESOP is great and has a great benefits package, equipment and supplies are up to date (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management will throw you under the bus (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours , oncall sucked , you might as well put a ball and chain on once its your turn (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Worth it.

Mutual Fund/Corporate Secutities Representative (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThere are many "pros" to this job. Benefits, pay, co-workers, bonuses, advancement, cross-training, ability to learn more when you want.

ConsThere's quite a bit of overtime during tax season (and it is mandatory). While room for advancement is there, it can be difficult to achieve within the company if you don't do well on your quarterly reviews (as other department managers can view your file).

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any.

Changing for the better

ProsUnderstands they need to change and are working on it.

ConsHard for some to accept and adjust

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on changing to better meet the clients and employees needs.

Client Relations Specialist

Client Relations Specialist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWork directly with a set group of clients, and ability to learn all aspects of the company.

ConsVery negative work environment, lots of messiness with a complete lack of appreciation of associates, very little follow through, and a constant push to take on more work without any hope of a promotion.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hit or Miss, as a Software Developer

Software Developer (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe people are great, the pay is ok, and there is plenty to do. Tons of opportunities to learn new things and prove yourself if you have what it takes.

ConsSome teams are in complete disarray while others are extremely tight knit. The good teams are awesome, the poor ones still claim to call what they do SCRUM. Don't get me wrong the people on the teams are good and hard working, but it is NOT agile or SCRUM. Management is too involved in what SCRUM teams do. Hourly employees have to track time in 2 to 3 places.

I think that because DST pays a little bit less for the job in this area people tend to not accept their lower offers. I took this job for less than a couple of other offers because of the people I met. They are genuinely happy (for the most part), whereas other offers I got the people seemed worked to the bone. I'm looking at you Cerner. All the employess at other companies could say about how they like their jobs was, 'it pays very well.'

Advice to Senior ManagementBuck up, pay what other companies are in the area are paying for developers and engineers and fill the open reqs. You'll probably get what you pay for... For a company with revenue in the billions I wouldn't think spending another few hundred million a year to pay better would hurt. In fact much more would get done and the company would have a far superior product.

Good, stable company

ProsNice, hardworking people. Good benefits. They are providing better training to management, so managers are getting better at their jobs. Good growth opportunities if you are willing to work hard.

Cons"Do more and more with less" all the time. Raises are kept at a very low rate. Some of the buildings/floors are outdated.

One of the most disorganized places I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have nothing positive to say about this 'weird' company

ConsThey hire people for positions they don't even need and put them in a never-ending 'training' program. I was in limbo for over a year and NEVER assigned to a department because there were no positions available for the job they hired me for. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue!

OT&E engineer

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Lexington Park, MD

ProsGreat small company to work for

ConsContinue to invest in your employees

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue involving your employes

Don't believe the rumors - great place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCompany is transforming into a powerhouse of intellectual thought leadership and innovation. High performing employees have opportunities to advance and grow

ConsManagement doesn't always recognize the hard work employees are doing, doesn't always enable employees to do their best work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees more frequently and in more meaningful ways

Good Place To Start

Mutual Fund Representative (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsPlenty of opportunity to gain experience and take responsibility for projects. Felt empowered and didn't have bosses constantly looking over my shoulder.

ConsPay is minimal and doesn't match work-level. Management doesn't appear to actually care about the individual workers. I felt like I was just a number in the system, not a person.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to recognize individual efforts more. Make individuals feel like more of a part of the overall process. Tasks become too specialized and workers don't learn the whole process enough.

Valuable Experience but Changing Corporate Environment

Applications Architect (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWonderful associates dedicated to the helping their clients. Compensation and benefits are awesome. Enterprise level support for the IT departments was amazing and fast paced.

ConsAs the company has grown, it has lost some of its small company feel. Often the support, including ability to work from home is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the engagement associates.

Worked for DST Systems? Contribute to the Community!