DSW Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 25 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working here at DSW.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Meeting new people and the amazing discount

Cons

There are not enough hours to go around

Good for First Retail Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employee discount
    Fun and relaxed work environment
    Brand Meetings
    DSW swag earned from time to time
    Dress Code

Cons

Mandatory Shift Extensions
    Loss Prevention Policies
    Not Enough Growth Opportunity
    #PREPPED/Freight Process
    Pressure from Corporate

Look to hire first from within. There were plenty of talented and dedicated employees eager to level up in the company that have been shunned away.

Sales associate and cashier

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chantilly, VA

I worked at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They're good about letting employees take days off, especially students like me. The pay is pretty good for a starting employee in retail. The managers gave good advice to help new employees. Company values were encouraged throughout. Employee discount was 30% and could be applied to clearance

Cons

They'd hire new people even as older employees asked for more hours. Not always the best at time management and distributing break times.

It really is America's Favorite Place to Work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Great at Scheduling Breaks (at our location)
    Decent discount on merchandise (extra off already discounted)
    Great Management Team

Cons

Wouldn't say they are the best a promoting from within. If you start at the bottom and you work hard they will probably keep you there and just give you more hours.

Develop you hardest working employees before they decide to go elsewhere for more recognition. Sometimes being America's Favorite Place to Work just doesn't pay the bills.

Good overall

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment. Managers amazing. Amazing coworkers

Cons

Too much focus on rewards. Inconsistent training between managers

Stop pressuring employees to get rewards!

Wonderful experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Avondale, AZ

I worked at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many great people to work with! also the associate discount was awesome!

Cons

there were none at all!

Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

DSW as a company offers a great discount (30%) on all merchandise. My manager has understanding of my crazy school schedule and allows me to work when I can within my desired rang of hours. Coworkers will vary by store but I have gotten along so well with everyone who has been employeed here over the year. Its awesome to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. The pay for associates is awesome too. I was very happy with my initial hiring pay and then my annual raise was very generous. I feel that we are paid very well for part time retail work.

Cons

My biggest challenge has been the scheduling. Most of the associates are over worked. We are given 8-9 hour shifts multiple times a week including all weekend (ex- 11-730 or 130-10). It is a store wide problem for us. Multiple part time associates have been scheduled close to 40 hours because of under-staffing. Part time associates should be kept to 20 hours unless they specifically say they need more. The schedule lacks variation and associates are usually scheduled Friday-Sunday every weekend unless they request off. It would be nice to be give a weekend off on a rotation system like mangers get.

Need to hire more associates. Give associates weekends off on a rotation just like the managers. Communicate with associates informally about things going on in the store/room for improvement.

Best job ever

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My co-workers were amazing. It's what every work environment should be like. The management team encouraged questions and were considerate of the employees which only caused everyone to work harder. Customer service was a priority, something many companies lack now a days. Overall such a great work environment.

Cons

Since there were 4 managers they kinda contradicted each other sometimes.

Nothing, keep it up!

Current employee of a little over 1 year

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, great atmosphere, not too challenging, current employees are notified about new openings at other stores before the general public, very open and accepting group of managers and employees, at least those that I have come into contact with.

Cons

Pressure to sign people up for rewards; getting people into the reward system is always a huge deal and if you get a lot of nos and bring down the reward percentage for the day (nos/total sign ups), you will generally have a manger come up and talk to you about it. You're expected to ask every single customer if they are in the rewards and if not, try to get them to sign up.

Moving up is not the easiest, and can take a fair amount of time. Not the quickest.

Tired of felling like I am being Fired

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

dress code makes for a comfortable work environment
    great product to use the great discount

Cons

Schedules are crazy. Managers work so many hours that are not necessary. The negativity, stress levels, threats of complaints makes for such an unhappy experience. We never hear anything good. Everything is nasty and negative. The DM gives such unhappy visits and NEVER says anything nice or positive or congratulates you or your store on good results. RD visits are worse. High stress, a lot of hours, negative environment, old programs, crazy rules to satisfy customer complaints (open every register no matter what, cant tell customers you are closing), extended shifts that no one wants or likes, AFPW for part time people only.

All store managers are way to afraid to speak up. Everyone fears for their jobs. There is an up coming coffee chat and no one wants to speak up because everyone is afraid of retaliation and loosing jobs. There is so much wrong. So sad.

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
DSW Shoes at the Arboretum