DSW

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but the DM had her own adjenda.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the product and overall mission of the company. Good pay and senior leadership.

Cons

The DM micromanaged every aspect of her stores and managers. She lost 8 out of 11 store managers in her first year.

If something doesn't seem right it is not right. Look into why managers are leaving.

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people to work with
    fun environment
    awesome product
    great pay

Cons

not enough hours to go around

supply stores with more hours

I have enjoyed working with all my teammates at DSW!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, MI

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment as far as working with other employees. Great manager was very calm and reliant and knew how to delegate to his assistant managers. Although the store was low volume there was always something to do or a new project to start.

Cons

As with any retail job you can get the annoying and rude customers. Ultimately I didn't have any problems on a day to day basis, most of my concerns came from upper management.

If you have good people try and keep them! Even though some regional managers don't agree with specific management styles keep an open mind!

Overall, a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I worked at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the pay, the discount.

Cons

The customers, when closing not being able to tell associate when we close.

DSW needs to love their employees more.

DSW is the most satisfying retail position for me and I adore working for this company!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Our store where I work currently, we are like a family and have a wonderful time on the sales floor and register. I meet fantastic customers most of the time one cannot say always, except for always there will be some customers who just do not wish to be assisted and that is ok and expected. Hours are various in our slow period but it makes up for it as the busy season starts in Spring. The managers are wonderful to work for too. Yes there is a discount but one learns to not go "shoe crazy" as new styles are always coming in weekly. Always something new to "shoe love." The shifts are typically 4 or 4.5 hrs which in our large store is long enough with standing and running front to back of the store for customer's needs. It is a great work out I must say and I love that part :) My co workers are fab! They greet you when you come in with many "hellos" - it is such a great environment to work in. Yearly raises are a plus too. There is room to advance but best if you wish to relocate or can and for me it is easily possible. Great Company! Healthcare offered to part time associates at a lower cost!

Cons

Customers tend to be sloppy and non caring when it comes to shopping. Messes and constant clean up down to their dirty footies supplied for shoe try ons. It is actually repulsives me personally finding the footies on the floor, etc., floor sloppiness created by some disrespectful shoppers, constant clean up. If only some of them valued the store fully as they enjoy the savings! Closing the store is taxing as well, it takes about an hour or more to clean up because of the customer's behaviors. There is also a point system in place for call offs, punching in late, too early, one has to be careful so many points in a year and one is left go. Awareness of the clock and punching in is the key.

We have great management, all different personalities but a nice blend.

I love it!

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Love the managers and then other associates! Its like a family. They are all supportive and understand everyone has a life. Love the 5 minutes extra when clocking in :) Managers very good at conveying companies values and at directing associates. They want you to succeed and will do whatever they reasonably can to help you!

Cons

being sick or in the hospital, you still get attendance points. Some of the systems need an update, but most work well. Cleaning the store, outdated equipment. Need better vacuum.

Keep being supportive and understanding!

Fast-paced retail environment

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The store manager was very flexible with hours. The starting wage was great, considering it is a sales associate position.

Cons

Did not receive much training initially. During slow season, get VERY few hours. It's retail, so there were lots of customer service issues to deal with on a daily basis. Not much support with "moving up the ladder" within the company.

Support employee aspirations to move up in the company.

Customer Service

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Management. Co workers.

The managers at my location are so great! They don't even treat you like you're just an employee. We're all family there. I love it.

Cons

The schedule. You might get 30 hours one week and the next week it's 10. They say it's your performance but it's really not all about that.

Lack of motivation

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a flexible job for people in college

Cons

Barley any hours no one really cares about the store

Get it together

Used to be my favorite job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is very competitive, and the overall benefits for managers are very good. The company doesn't always feel like retail because it's encouraged to think for yourself and make good decisions based on your business and your customers.

Cons

This company is completely lost when it comes to living it's Values. Unfortunately, that applies for every level; and it was not that way a couple of years ago. Over time, the environment became punitive and unfriendly. I've worked in several stores and states over time and got the same feedback from many others.

Walk your talk. Humility can go a long way when you want to admit that things aren't great as long as you want to improve them.

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
Shoe Lovers DSW- Volunteers