DSW Reviews

612 reviews filtered by
3.3
DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

I love working here!

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is so passionate about their job! The company really likes to help you grow!

Cons

I have no downside of working with DSW besides some system updates that I think should be put it.

Although difficult because of the sheer number of associates, a larger attempt at communicating with them not just the store managers.

2. This was my first job, and I think I was extremely lucky to start here.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Midvale, UT

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule, fun work environment, great co-workers, and a good discount.

Cons

I hated the fact that not all of my managers where on the same page with policies. It made dealing with customers difficult at times.
    Associates are only hired part-time.

Best retail company to work for

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Diversity, room for growth and benefits

Cons

Long crazy working hours, balancing work and life

5. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Good pay and benefits, good employees, fun atmosphere, employee discount

Cons

Retail hours (nights, weekends and holidays).

perfect place is you ask me , i enjoyed this and would deff recommend

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at DSW

Pros

hours are a little bit crazy but the shoes are everything .

Cons

no to many the pros as you probly already read overshadow the cons

A Great College Job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been with DSW for a year and I couldn't ask for a better college job. I started at a location in my hometown and later transferred to another school and, by default, another store. The first store I worked in was located in a fast-paced military city where people weren't polite and the managers were in a little over their heads. DSW is big on gaining customer loyalty, so the Rewards program was highly stressed. That being said, they actively lived the values of the company and tried to keep work engaging with friendly competitions and frequent employee activities. After transferring to a new college town, my experience was only enhanced by the amazing coworkers and an even better management team. Everyone collaborated to provide awesome overall customer experiences. Management brought goodies every weekend and decorated the break room quarterly. All the employees were given the opportunity to really "own" a certain operation in the store, whether it be Athletics, Women's Dress Shoes, or Handbags. Rewards were not highly stressed simply because customer loyalty was gained by our culture, meaning that our Rewards Conversion Percentage was always high. Everyone was really knowledgable, so providing customers with product knowledge was never a struggle. The diversity in coworkers was amazing; their ages ranged from 16 to 76. DSW also runs a philanthropic program called "Shoe Lovers Care," which allows both employees and customers to nominate and vote on charitable organizations that DSW will donate money to.

I do think it is fair to point out that the store I work in is the top in 8 out of 10 metrics in either the district (11 stores) or the region (approx. 100 stores). Our Store Manager won the Red Carpet Award, which is the highest honor a DSW Store Manager can receive.

Cons

While working at DSW is amazing, I don't realistically "love"getting up to go to work. The hours are bad for a social life, but that's pretty standard in retail. I appreciate the emphasis on customer service, but we can't please everyone, and if a complaint happens, no mater how little, it's taken very seriously. We've had customers complain to the company that our music is too loud and we were chewed out for it.

As I previously mentioned, we were one of the top stores. I know firsthand, however, that this culture doesn't exist in every store. In the break room, a weekly "Success and Opportunity" is posted that explains a compliment and a complaint that the company has received, and some of the "opportunities" disgust me. Bad apples are impossible to avoid, but this is small comfort to those who work in the less that favorable situations under corrupt managers or dramatic, disrespectful coworkers.

Typical Retail Management

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Marlton, NJ

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus if you can hit them every month, some manager overtime if you aren't salary, benefits are pretty good for retail, nice customers and employee discount on clearance items, good amount of vacation and PTO if you been there a few years, some blackout periods apply but that typical retail stuff. The online business growth is what is fueling their success right now. If you don't see in the store then order online right there. Great selection and variety or product, decent accessories.

Cons

Lack of payroll means managers work their butts off in stores smaller than 10 mil. Not much help or promotion from within. Its retail so you can forget about work life balance. They used to do time and a 1/2 for holidays but only for associates now. The focus on metrics and KPI's can be a little tough for a store not doing well.
    The amount of theft is beyond unreal and they do little to stop it or prevent it. The company will believe customers over workers so there are constant complaints and customer service always bends so this creates a free for all as customers abuse mismanaged systems of rewards and coupons. Each store really runs separate from others so it depends on the management team whether its a fun or toxic environment.

Develop better training and recruiting methods to create future leaders. Stop looking outside the company for the next store managers you want to steal from Victoria's Secret, BBB, BuyBuyBaby, and others that actually created their future stars. Get tough on coupon fraud and theft prevention. Cut back on constant store resets and floor moves, it just confuses customers.

9. Working for dsw was challenging and rigorous but good none the less

I worked at DSW

Pros

Great discount, a wide array of customers, and wonderful management

Cons

12-14 hour days, no upward mobility, can't retain any talent (high turn over)

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Love this great organization. We make people feel great through the power of shoes. Fashion, fun, great people and great customers. I am so grateful to work with such amazing people and for a company that is progressive and growing. Lucky to be here.

Cons

Every company has pro's and cons. DSW has so many pro's that out-weigh any cons.

Continue to leverage the great talent within this organization. Continue to inspire, develop and stay true to our core Values. So appreciated and refreshing!!

Enjoy working here, but hours aren't great

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for a minimum wage job, love working with shoes--it's easy to keep clean, this job has really helped to learn more about something I have an interest in

Cons

Part time, management is bad at giving hours out to everyone--they give more hours to people who get more sign-ups

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
Shoe Lovers DSW- Volunteers