DSW Reviews

Reset
3.4
DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Great place to work for a work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• They have a great employee discount (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Stop placing so much emphasis on the rewards program percentage (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, Great benefits, Awesome management. Never felt bossed around or pushed very relaxed environment that was plenty of fun working at.

Cons

Not many, besides if your working the floor you have to continuously be tedious in fixing shoes on display, which really isn't a con because it is a shoe store and you have to keep your display clean and tidy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Atmosphere for new employees is very inviting and was an awesome experience working with the management team!

2. All good and great

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Be friendly as you can and be shoe lover definetly and the discount is awesome

Cons

Too much aggresive, can't wear rugged jeans always casual, point system of attendance.

Advice to Management

Take away the point system specially emergency cases. And can wear tore jeans like bf jeans so can be more fashionable.

3. A great place for college students looking to earn extra income

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Washington, DC

I worked at DSW

Pros

Higher pay than most retail stores and your schedule can be negotiated especially if you work at a location with a large team. If you have the opportunity to be there for at least a year, you'll come to realize that your fellow shoe lovers are like family. The climb to mastering all aspects of the store (cashier, reward sign ups, accessories, shipment) can be a slow one if you do not speak up and take initiative to learn how to do everything there is to do in the store.

Cons

At my particular location there was a constant change in management and poor training initiative. within the 2 years i was there, i had 3 store managers which led to a lot of adjustments and changes in rules. The senior employees (those who have been there a long time) are basically training the new hires. I had no problem helping out a new shoe lover but having to show them every single button to press on a busy saturday at the cashwrap was very tedious and often distracts the lead cashier from customer engagement. At my particular location we had a major issue with security. In retail, people steal and we all know this but it happened ALOT at my location and security guards can do nothing about it because of DSW 'policies'. Meaning they dont want a lawsuit on their hands. Alot of the times the associates were left to ward off thieves and to keep a very watchful eye which isnt their job.

Advice to Management

Remain constant in managerial approaches. Once the district manager randomly shows her face don't change up the rules and make things seem as they aren't just because she's there. Also, dedicate a manager to conduct new hire training sessions. One session on a sleepy sunday morning isn't enough to prepare them for the chaos that occurs on the weekend. Do not just throw them on the register and leave the cashiers to help them. BE A LEADER! NOT A BOSS!

5. Great culture!

Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High management is easily accessible, schedule flexible, focus on work-life balance, sincerly great culture!

Cons

Can`t find a con for now!

N/A

Current Employee - Direct Service Worker in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Direct Service Worker in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at DSW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet great people, talk and share

Cons

There are none at this time

7. Great Company!

I have been working at DSW

Pros

This is a great company to work for.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this company.

Not good for people who want to grow

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Good discount, PTO, benefits, hours are short

Cons

No payroll, managers become sales associates
    Short/no breaks
    Horrible management

Manger

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at DSW (Less than a year)

Pros

Didn't stay here to long before I transferred but the atmosphere isn't as stressful at other stores, and the team is very friendly.

Cons

Pay is not as great as I would and work can be a bore. But I did not work here long enough to find anything bad to really share.

Advice to Management

Transferring stores can be a bit of a challenge. I had trouble when I decided to move and ended up finding a new job completely at a different company.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSW embraces your passion! Retail leaders who love challenges will love DSW. Passionate about recruiting, training, or merchandising? DSW empowers it's leaders to embrace what they love while managing their store.
    Assistant managers are afforded opportunities to grow, great training, and an opportunity to influence the District and organization.
    Part time employees are treated fairly, valued, and respected. Flexible hours, rewarding work assignments, and quality training lead to a fun place to work.
    Fun work assignments are topped off with great benefits, discounts, and recognition programs.

Cons

All organizations have opportunities, however, DSW's value of Humility makes for an organization always looking to improve.

Advice to Management

DSW offers a great work environment that is guest focused. A fast growing organizations means lots of change; if you are adaptable, passionate, flexible, and guest focused, DSW is for you!

11. Shoe Lover

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

The majority of the company lives the values. Refreshing to work with this group.

Cons

Lots of change very fast the last two years. We believe but let's not go back to feeling like we need checklists.

Advice to Management

The ability to develop is why I have stayed. Don't lose that as everything rolls out.

RSS Feed </> Embed