DSW Reviews

Reset
3.4
DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Great place to work for a work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• They have a great employee discount (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Stop placing so much emphasis on the rewards program percentage (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

My favorite place to work!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We live our values and listen to input. The company is growing and there are great opportunities. We have an amazing assortment of shoes! I get to work with a great team and everyone loves shoes! I can honestly say I have fun every day.

Cons

We could do a better job working with our communities.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for feedback and sharing what is yet to come.

2. A year in short....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at DSW (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Employee discount for you and spouse. Several different shifts.

Cons

No set hours. One person to clean the entire store in 1 1/2 hours.

Very easy environment.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule : we are able to set our own availability and can change it at any time. Comfortable environment Awesome district manager

Cons

Shoephorias ( reaching our limit is hard in our city because a lot of customers are from out of the country.) Hours..

Advice to Management

Communication

5. Amazing Values!

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at DSW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the Values at DSW - Passion, Accountability, Collaboration, and Humility. The District Managers for the company live the values and expect their managers and associate teams to live them as well. There is a great training program in place for new hired managers. If followed, managers will finish training with a comprehensive understanding of the company and processes. DSW also has web-based training that is underutilized but full of great information that can be applied at DSW or any other retail environment. If you become an employee there - FIND TIME TO UTILIZE THIS PROGRAM! Mike McDonald is a CEO and will always be a fan.

Cons

Coaching in the moment and follow up have remained a struggle in retail. DSW has a decent process in place to log coaching but there could be a better, more 'in the moment' way of logging. Simply holding managers to "log something" daily is not an effective way to coach and develop a team of associates or managers. The managers need to buy into the development of the teams they work with, take time to mentor and develop. Having worked in a store that didn't embrace developing their team vs. having worked in one that did - well there is a profound difference in the level of customer service and happiness those teams displayed with the guests they assisted on the sales floor and on the phone.

Advice to Management

If you live the values, have good intent and the management team you work with embraces your development, you will get promoted.

6. Have been employed here for less than 6 months, and already feel very connected to the Values of the Brand

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at DSW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salaries. Value their Associates. Fast paced work environment. Constantly evolving to keep up with current technology trends. With retail companies cutting back on FT positions, we still have FT Management.

Cons

Companies are never without challenges, however, DSW addresses the opportunities quickly and moves to resolve them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on Engagement with both the Internal and External Customer. Offer additional discount incentives to Associates as part of the recognition program. Continue with technology advances, update the register systems. Less registers, more reliable tablets.

7. Administrative Assistant to the Merchant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at DSW (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, appreciate their employees

Cons

I was only there for three months, not long enough to pick up on con's

Great part-time job

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSW was a fun place to work as a part-time job. It was win/lose situation finding great shoe discounts. Lose because I bought way more shoes then I'd ever need. But with the 30% employee discount on top of their already great prices it was worth it. It's been a few years since I've worked there and it's still my number one shoe store. The way was just alright. By far better then most part-time jobs and the work was relatively easy.

Cons

Only cons would be there is not much room for growth as far as a career.

Advice to Management

District Managers were too rough on the store managers. Mine was amazing but was always so worried because her boss was a jerk.

Great Pay, but poor work life balance

Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DSW (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment Growth potential Great Pay

Cons

Overworked Some unrealistic expectations Plenty of Red tape

10. Great part-time summer job!

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

I worked here over the summer as a part time job while in college. I've had many retail jobs before and this is by far the best. The pay was (more than) fair and the discounts were great. Most of my managers and colleagues treated me with such respect and dignity (something I never quite had in retail). I still look back and think it's a great company to work for.

Cons

One manager in particular was biased and unfair. For instance, she would reprimand some "shoe lovers" aka associates for being late and not others.

Advice to Management

Be fair and be consistent!

Customer service Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

GREAT EMPLOYEE BENEFITS AND TEAM MEMBERS... Managers were pretty fantastic as well.

Cons

Only down side was the closing hours during slow season.

RSS Feed </> Embed