DSW

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, they focus on making sure DSW is everyone's favorite place to work.

Cons

None, really. For a retail job, it's great!

NA

Fun

I worked at DSW

Pros

The culture was laid-back
    Flexible hours
    Easy to move up within the company

Cons

Management needs a lot of improvement

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Very flexible with availability, and time off. Yearly raise. Daily recognition, and rewards. Multiple breaks. Great relationship with management.

Cons

Limited hours, extended shifts, shifts are never rotated among associates.

I loved it.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Plainfield, IN

I worked at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working retail. Loved working with fashion - shoes, purses, customers.

Cons

Retail hours and weekends, as expected!

Decent company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great culture
    good benefits
    good management
    flexible hours

Cons

low starting salary
    few hours
    unpredictable schedule

Great place

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Nice atmosphere great merchandise to sell great people to work with
    Wonderful company

Cons

Reality don't have any to write

Nothing I can say to them

perfect

Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE
    Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

greaaaat place to work, i love it so much

Cons

nothing wrong. I'm completely satisfied with them!

Former Store Manager who used to love the job... not so much now

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, great discount, good pay and benefits, associates are terrific, Company has strong values and believes in them,

Cons

Change in the leadership at the regional and district level brought a very different atmosphere leaving managers feeling unsupported and unappreciated. We received only negative feedback and little to no recognition for top of region results or improvements in areas of opportunity. We didn't even get encouragement. Rewards (customer loyalty program) results is over relied on as an indicator of customer engagement, DM visits reports are based on an agenda and not on what actually occurs during the visit. The assumption by DM is that something is or is not happening and you are held accountable to the assumption which is often not backed up by results or actions.

Look into why you are losing tenured managers within a district and ask what kind of leadership is allowing that to happen when "America's Favorite Place to Work" is one of your internal aspirations. Stop expecting unrealistic rewards results. Stop applying pressure on the management team for rewards results but at the same time telling managers they can not apply any pressure on the staff. The pressure creates an environment that encourages stores to cheat to get numbers and that is what they are doing. Recent LP fraud cases prove this. Fix the tablets that are used on the sales floor. It is supposed to be a tool of convenience for our customer but all too often it makes for a negative shopping experience. It is a great idea but the limitation of those tablets are a huge obstacle. Relax the attendance policy for associates as we lose too many great people to what amounts to minor attendance issues. Keep filtering everything through your values, Keep valuing the work/life balance for managers. That by itself sets DSW apart from other retailers.

Made me realize I absolutely hated retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked here as a seasonal associate. My co workers were actually super friendly and super helpful. I know how annoying it can be when new people come in and they don't do things exactly right but they didn't seem to get annoyed by that. The discount was nice (30%) and sometimes we even got 40% for certain events.

Cons

Towards the end of my stay here, I come to realize how some of the managers are super fake and talk more crap than the associates. The chill managers always get stuff done and the associates will listen to them but the anal mangers, it seems like there more chaos associated with them and nothing gets done...at least on time. The rewards sign up is so annoying... like its either people have it or they don't wanna sign up and certain managers are really pushy and forceful when I see them get rewards. I didn't like that. Because I had an open availability they scheduled me to work everyday and a lot of closing shifts which I though was unfair. Like i understand I can work whenever making me work everyday...like what life do I have. The last thing that I wasn't pleased with was our training...like I learned everything I needed to know from the associates after my training was done.

My impression of my stay at DSW is based off the managers. Knowing how some of them acted and treated others makes not wanna shop at the store I worked it. Its simple treat others how you would want to be treated.

Used to love it

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, collaborative teammates, fun managers

Cons

Managers too pushy and don't care about you, only concerned with what they have to get done

This was a fantastic job for over a year or so, but the change in culture and management had made it very unpleasant. Stop focusing on only the negative and say thank you once in a while!