DSW Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • The company had a strong work-life balance and it was ever a problem to get a day off (in 24 reviews)

• Their employee discount is generous and they are loyal to their employees (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the rewards program to customers to the point of making them mad (in 40 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Makes me want to cry!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DSW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay, PTO, discount, amazing associates I get to train and develop, and working with fun customers every day!

Cons

My passion and focus has always been for my customer! I love to coach and develop the team to help engage our customers in making an amazing and unforgettable experience! However, my store manager fails to recognize all my hard work and dedication and all the time spent away from my family. I come home everyday sore, and extremely tired as I have to practically run and run to make sure we get everything done that is expected to get done! Then I feel that we have to bend over backwards for our associates but when I want to express how Im feeling I get the cold shoulder. I used to love working here, it's just becoming so political and can only get ahead if your practically best friends with the DM. Its sad to me that this was exactly where I wanted to be a few years ago to wanting to run and go somewhere else. The headaches and heartache isn't worth it. I want to feel like I matter but just coming to realize that I don't and probably never will. Sad that i put in so many years of my life to feel so worthless and unappreciated here at the end of this career! Just wish I mattered! I'm getting to the point that the pay just isn't worth it anymore. The pay is great but willing to leave for a pay cut just to feel good about myself again!

Talk with the managers. Take the time to invest in them. Be different than other companies and make sure that middle management is heard!

decent but management could have been better

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at DSW part-time for more than a year

Pros

the company has good morals

Cons

to big on rewards, many customers do not appreciate being hounded

lead by example more

One of my favorite Employers yet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

Great environment
    Care about employees
    Fun store meetings
    Give recognition of great work

Cons

Communicate clearly for scheduling before they are made.

Continue doing what you're doing

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regular Boring Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Largo, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Largo, MD

I have been working at DSW part-time for less than a year

Pros

discount
    chill job
    nice talking to some people
    manager really nice

Cons

a lot of walking around

Great place to work, decent hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT

I worked at DSW part-time for more than a year

Pros

In my experience, I had a great management team, very helpful and willing to teach, very bubbly as well.

Cons

Points system for attendance, but as long as you follow it, you'll be fine. Upper management is good for expecting ridiculous changes without thinking of employees.

Communicate more with one another, and be more interested in employee concerns.

Good starter job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntsville, AL

I worked at DSW part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers, relaxed and caring management, stress-free environment, great atmosphere, simple work tasks

Cons

Low hours, 4 hour shifts, seniority gets all of the hours, you'd have to be there for years and years to be anywhere close to full time, job gets boring after a while because you do the same thing every day, shifts go by extremely slowly

My managers rocked.

great team, poor management

Former Employee - Dsw Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Dsw Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at DSW part-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture was comfortable - No followed rules on how much time you were able to take off.

Cons

No benefits, no commission. Management needed to learn how to manage. No room to advance.

reconsider commission!

Overall, great company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DSW full-time for more than a year

Pros

They truly value their employees and are always willing to help. Everyone is so friendly and co-workers become like your second family. Great discount of 30%. They also plan events through the year for employees to take a break from the every day routine. The sample sale before Christmas is one of the best parts of working here!

Cons

Seems very hard to get out of the call center to advance into higher positions. Pay at the call center starts out a little low compared to other call centers in the area.

Management has been great.

A Good Job...in Theory

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time for less than a year

Pros

17 days of PTO starting out and only goes up with tenure
    There's typically a good atmosphere among most co-workers and they tend to make the job more enjoyable
    Employee discount is nice

Cons

Payroll management is nearly impossible if you are a lower volume store. The majority of the time it will be you and one other associate who will more than likely be on register, so be prepared to be running around the store like a crazy person picking up everyone's trash while also trying to finish whatever other tasking you need to get done. BUT look out for empty boxes too. Associates don't listen or care most of the time. I quiz them on the LP Assessment questions a lot and to this day the ones who have been here for almost a year still can't reiterate a confident answer; they're just there.

Store manager couldn't be worse. I wasn't aware that the store manager position was an office job! Finds any and every reason to be in the office. Makes the schedule (which is actually supposed to be my job) and hasn't scheduled themselves to work on a Sunday in almost 3 months, and here I am working a stretch of 9 days straight. Favoritism is RAMPANT in terms of SM and DM. I'm not a fan of SM and am not afraid to call them out on things I have problems with, one being that I was hearing a lot of complaining from SM. They proceeded to tell me that they were essentially looking for a friend and that SM and DM have a relationship like that and is expecting that of me. Too buddy-buddy. How am I supposed to express concerns to DM if I'm worried about being reprimanded for standing up to their "friend?" On top of that, my DM apparently doesn't think Assistant Managers are important enough to have conversations with them on visit.

DSW creates a culture with customers that they can get away with ANYTHING. "Worn a pair of shoes for 5 months, they're completely falling apart and you want new ones? Go ahead and find you a new pair for free!! You don't want to pay any more than 30 bucks for those shoes? Well okay, if that's what you really want I'll do it for you." I get it, I do...the customer is always right. But have some pride. DSW is a pushover and let's customers bully us.

I'm probably going absolutely nowhere with this job. You couldn't pay me enough to be a SM...well they already don't pay enough anyway (it's not that great). I see no advancement, and this job has opened my eyes to the fact I absolutely have to get out of retail.

Hire better store managers

great learning experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Naples, FL

I worked at DSW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

vacation time is better than most companies
    monthly bonus is good for management
    great discounts for employees

Cons

no support from upper management
    very hard to advance in the company
    not enough work life balance

upper management needs to support their team and remember to practice what they preach

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!