DSW

DSW Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald

Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • The company had a strong work-life balance and it was ever a problem to get a day off (in 24 reviews)

• Their employee discount is generous and they are loyal to their employees (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the rewards program to customers to the point of making them mad (in 40 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed my time at DSW, Grand Opened a new store & hired a strong team.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Brentwood, CA

ProsSalary & Strong Leadership (Regional Manager)

ConsNot many growth opportunities for part time sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Direct & Engaged. Pleased with original District Manager & Regional Manager that hired me.

loved the staff

Prosfriendly, no pressure, great managers

Consa lot of talk about ability to move up but all talk not much action

Advice to Senior Managementwhen people show interest in moving up use that to your advantage or you risk losing them

customer service

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosofferes great discount on shoes

Consno flexible hours on work schedule

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly and supportive environment, even for part-timers.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsEmployee discount is generous and includes part-timers, not just full-timers. Shifts are manageable. Co-workers are friendly. The Bravo cards are nice.

ConsThe store needs to hire cleaning people. Don't make your employees clean bathrooms. Invest the money to have cleaning done properly, completely, and efficiently.

Its definitely a good job to start off with

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proshigher starting salary than most
    nice co workers
    very little actual work that you have to do

Consattendance policy is to strict
    raise is to little for a yearly raise
    its possible for you to get 8 hours a week which is pointless

Advice to Senior Managementi honestly love my managers they are all friendly and pleasant t be around with

Store Manager

ProsGreat vacation time and benefits. Awesome discount and not crazy around the holidays.

ConsChanged District managers several times. They are all great but we had to adjust to new management.

Great coworkers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI love the people I work with. I have always had great co workers who work well together. Most managers have been great too. The pay is competitive and you get a small pay increase every year with a good review.

ConsPushing associates to get customers to sign up for the rewards program. There's really no incentive for associates to keep their rewards percentage up. Some managers don't seem to care about associates happiness working there. Extended shifts where you don't know whether or not you'll have to stay an extra 2 hours until well into your shift.

I love working here

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, NJ

ProsManagement seems to care about employees. Coworkers act like adults not children. It's a work family.

ConsCustomers can be kinda crazy

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have some stores open on a holiday and not others

Good home office atmosphere.

Internship (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPromotions appear to happen very often. The company is growing very fast so new positions are added very often. I have heard the pay is above average while the benefits could be better.

ConsThey do not provide many entry level / training positions. This causes a lot of hiring to be done from outside companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding more training of computer programs, networking, and interviewing would be helpful for young professionals. It would also cause more interest from new graduates.

Great place to start as your first job or if you've already had some retail experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-We get 30% discount on everything even in the clearance.
    -You get to be the first to check out new styles of shoes
    -Associates are awesome! It's like you're a family
    -Managers are awesome and want to help you grow as an individual and in the company as well

Cons-There are no full-time positions
    -There is an extension system in the scheduling so you can't schedule to do anything because you may or may not be working for certain hours in the day.
    -Sometimes it can be stressful especially with signing people up for the rewards program because the company in general makes it out to be such a big deal

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing that I can really think of other than making sure scheduling is good for the week. For example, don't have only 4 people work in one day. You need coverage

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!