DSW

DSW Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald

Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • The company had a strong work-life balance and it was ever a problem to get a day off(in 23 reviews)

• Their employee discount is generous and they are loyal to their employees(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the rewards program to customers to the point of making them mad(in 38 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees(in 19 reviews)

Good home office atmosphere.

Internship (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsPromotions appear to happen very often. The company is growing very fast so new positions are added very often. I have heard the pay is above average while the benefits could be better.

ConsThey do not provide many entry level / training positions. This causes a lot of hiring to be done from outside companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdding more training of computer programs, networking, and interviewing would be helpful for young professionals. It would also cause more interest from new graduates.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsYou get a 30% discount on the products which is great. Working with great people always helps. DSW is great for a part time job if you're looking for a retail company with a great discount.

ConsUnfortunately for me, I took the job in the hopes of moving up the ladder but was disappointed when the promises were never fulfilled. I'm sure I could have done a few things differently but at the end of the day I didn't feel like they cared about me as an employee and just kept me in my part time position for my selling ability. They kept me at part time and working just under the full time amount, but never promoted me. When I was originally told I was a great candidate for a promotion, many of the other employees told me not to hold my breath. So that was a red flag.

If you don't like selling, this is not the job for you. Asking customers to join the rewards program is a huge part of the job no matter what position. Unfortunately that's how it is at any retail store, you have to hound the customers to buy into something else. I didn't like it at all but I did it to keep the manager happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your employees and ask them what they're suggestions might be. If your employees aren't happy, the customers wont be happy and it will show. People want to work for a company that appreciates and values them. Don't sell them short.

HMMMMMM

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCommunication with customers and other sales associates. Never a dull moment. Youre always active.

ConsUnprofessionalism (subjected to my personal store)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start as your first job or if you've already had some retail experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-We get 30% discount on everything even in the clearance.
    -You get to be the first to check out new styles of shoes
    -Associates are awesome! It's like you're a family
    -Managers are awesome and want to help you grow as an individual and in the company as well

Cons-There are no full-time positions
    -There is an extension system in the scheduling so you can't schedule to do anything because you may or may not be working for certain hours in the day.
    -Sometimes it can be stressful especially with signing people up for the rewards program because the company in general makes it out to be such a big deal

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing that I can really think of other than making sure scheduling is good for the week. For example, don't have only 4 people work in one day. You need coverage

Assistant Manager

ProsDiscount, team is like your family. Job security, values based company, competitive pay.

ConsSome of the leadership that works in stores aren't where they should be in the quality of leadership, smaller stores tend to have more gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers.

Pretty cool place to work, truly for shoe lovers

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mays Landing, NJ

ProsStart at $10 per hour, short shifts (this was a 2nd job for me), discount is 30% of everything

ConsHad to clean the bathroom (which is why I quit), working clearance sucks because you get tired of walking back and forth, summertime was dead

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a cleaning crew for maintenance

Good first part time job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGood pay, Friendly coworkers, managers easy to get along with and understanding, customers are usually friendlier than compared to other fields of work, great 30% discount you can use on anything in the store

ConsLousy hours (the average person in my store, and I work at a fairly big and busy store in a mall, gets about 10 hours a week), DSW Rewards stressed a little too much - sometimes I feel like I have to worry more about signing people up then interacting with them

Favorite

Retail Associate (Current Employee) Denton, TX

ProsEveryone here is so friendly, helpful, and genuine. I work two jobs, and when talking to my manager here about how to incorporate hours to fit around my other job, he asked me what my favorite would be. He genuinely cared about me enjoying working there, despite having to work around another job.

ConsThere are a lot of different tasks; it's more than just selling shoes.

just okay.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Troy, MI

Prosdiscount, never been denied time off, consistent hours.

Consstore can get really slow. I have been sent home after 2 hours plenty of times.

Live in fear everyday if you work here

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey have a really great associate discount of 30% off even off of clearance prices. I also like working with cool people. It's more than just shoes.

ConsThis company lives by one rule... customer complaints are the kiss of death. You can get fired for one even if it's totally made up. The upper management rules by fear and threats. There is no way to move from associate to manager. My assistant manager got promoted to store manager and told me that she is getting paid $4 an hour less than the manher they hired from another company. The company makes you come in super early like 6am to put out new shoes and they make the managers yell at you to go faster. There is a lot of pressure to sign people up for the rewards program and you get talked down to if you have "a miss" at the register. People here only get 10-15 hours a week but I just stay for the discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk about wanting to have a great place to work but you don't offer benefits like Starbucks and you rule by fear. That's not America's favorite place to work. You want people to work hard and be committed for 15 hours a week and have open availability. Get real.

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!