DSW Reviews

Reset
3.4
DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Great place to work for a work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• They have a great employee discount (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Stop placing so much emphasis on the rewards program percentage (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

My favorite place to work!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We live our values and listen to input. The company is growing and there are great opportunities. We have an amazing assortment of shoes! I get to work with a great team and everyone loves shoes! I can honestly say I have fun every day.

Cons

We could do a better job working with our communities.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for feedback and sharing what is yet to come.

2. A year in short....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at DSW (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Employee discount for you and spouse. Several different shifts.

Cons

No set hours. One person to clean the entire store in 1 1/2 hours.

3. ASM

I worked at DSW (More than a year)

Pros

Pay well for retail job.

Cons

The company does not train their managers well or support them. The corporate culture as far as employees is all talk about being America's favorite place to work but no meaningful action.

Advice to Management

Don't always assume that your managers or associates have done something wrong when problems arise.

My whole outlook changed in 6 months

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DSW (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount My coworkers are really nice people

Cons

the ridiculous amount of pressure to sign people up for rewards is sickening Management isn't willing to work with your schedule (even if you are in school and mentioned it several times) The 7 point system is unrealistic and unfair

Advice to Management

Show your staff that you appreciate them!

Infrastructure Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at DSW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on shoes, the business is growing

Cons

IT management was poor and there weren't a lot of star performers in the department. The bulk of work fell on the few, competent people that were there.

7. Amazing Values!

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at DSW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the Values at DSW - Passion, Accountability, Collaboration, and Humility. The District Managers for the company live the values and expect their managers and associate teams to live them as well. There is a great training program in place for new hired managers. If followed, managers will finish training with a comprehensive understanding of the company and processes. DSW also has web-based training that is underutilized but full of great information that can be applied at DSW or any other retail environment. If you become an employee there - FIND TIME TO UTILIZE THIS PROGRAM! Mike McDonald is a CEO and will always be a fan.

Cons

Coaching in the moment and follow up have remained a struggle in retail. DSW has a decent process in place to log coaching but there could be a better, more 'in the moment' way of logging. Simply holding managers to "log something" daily is not an effective way to coach and develop a team of associates or managers. The managers need to buy into the development of the teams they work with, take time to mentor and develop. Having worked in a store that didn't embrace developing their team vs. having worked in one that did - well there is a profound difference in the level of customer service and happiness those teams displayed with the guests they assisted on the sales floor and on the phone.

Advice to Management

If you live the values, have good intent and the management team you work with embraces your development, you will get promoted.

8. Great First Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible, and you can go to school or have another job easily. The people who work there are caring and passionate.

Cons

They put a lot of emphasis on the rewards program. The percentage goals for the program are too high and the managers put too much pressure on associates to sign people up.

9. Shoe Lover

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

Pros

The staff was a lot of fun to work with. Most people were really nice and easy to talk to. The job isn't difficult to get the hang of. The employee discount was pretty good. The job was easy to get because of the high turnover rate.

Cons

The management has some issues. Sometimes they can be rude or condescending for no reason. Some of the tasks are incredibly boring like walking the floor, and you can end up doing it for four to six hours at a time. There was a lot of pressure to push the rewards program, which was okay, but if people said no too often, the management would keep you away from the register. The register was one of the few jobs that made the time pass more quickly. It's retail.

Advice to Management

Make rotations for the job roles. Don't let someone walk the floor for the entire day because it's the most boring thing you can do there. Don't talk so badly about the customers' appearance for no reason. Support the staff, and be nice to everyone. You don't have to change the music, but PLEASE add more songs more often. The music became something the employees dreaded.

Won't be your favorite place to work

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job; all you have to do is talk to a few customers and learn the basics of the products

Cons

-Low hourly wages and no bonuses, yearly or other -Employees are treated like replaceable machine parts. If you don't want to bend over backwards for your managers, you can expect low hours, micromanagement and the drudgery of not learning anything more than how to work the floor and try to get sign ups. -Your value to the company is based primarily on how well you get customers to sign up for the rewards program -You will not be able to move up the corporate ladder unless you perfectly play the political game and make the store manager and district managers your best friend

Advice to Management

Don't use your associates as stepping stones and take credit for their hard work to ingratiate yourselves to corporate.

Very easy environment.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule : we are able to set our own availability and can change it at any time. Comfortable environment Awesome district manager

Cons

Shoephorias ( reaching our limit is hard in our city because a lot of customers are from out of the country.) Hours..

Advice to Management

Communication

RSS Feed </> Embed