DSW

Updated March 4, 2015
3.2

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Very flexible hours, fun management, coworkers are fantastic but feels slightly disorganized

I have been working at DSW

Pros

30% employee discount
    Management is super chill and listens to problems
    Employee meetings are fun

Cons

Very repetitive, sometimes business is extremely slow, signing people up for rewards is a hassle.

We make people feel great through the power of shoes. If you are a shoelover DSW is where you want to work and shop at.

Current Employee - Store Manager and Shoe Lover in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager and Shoe Lover in Skokie, IL

I have been working at DSW

Pros

The company is values driven which creates a great place to work at. We are empowered to surprise and delight our internal and external shoelovers which makes our job fun. As a rapidly growing company it allows us to focus on developing and promoting our associates. The managment team is empowered to learn all aspects of the business by rotating responsibilities which creates well rounded leaders.

Cons

Working at DSW causes you to buy excessive shoes but with the generous discount I tell myself it's ok.

Continue to have meaningful conversations with our teams during store visits. They love to sharing best practices.

DSW is my favorite place to work!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Excellent leadership team, from the assistant managers all the way up to the Regional Directors and CEO. DSW is a company that focuses on values and work/life balance. One of the few retailers that is closed on thanksgiving day. DSW promotes from within as much as possible which enables associates to feel empowered about their career with us. This is a challenging environment that leaves you feeling accomplished everyday.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. Having worked for several other retailers I am so grateful to have found DSW.

Keep promoting from within as much as possible. It improves morale and also makes the transition so much smoother for the team. Continue to seek out feedback from the field as much as possible to learn better approaches to new rollouts. Always keep our values as our focus!

I love shoes, fashion and shopping, so working at DSW is the perfect career for me!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress, flexible hours, great managers and co-workers, fantastic selection of shoes, handbags and accessories, 30% discount, shoe lovers care!

Cons

Retail hours, working on weekends.

Best Retail Job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Flexible
    2. Great co-workers
    3. Not pressured to make a sale, but rather great customer experience
    4. Positive feedback on every shift.

Cons

Depending on the manager, could depend on the pressure for reward sign ups.

Have more options on why a customer chooses not to sign up for rewards

Okay for Part-Time Work...Try to look elsewhere first though.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a store discount - though the pay is above minimum wage it is still pretty close to it and the store discount doesn't really provide much if you're trying to pay rent, bills, and make a living. It's typical part-time retail work.

Cons

Limited management opportunities, low level employees are treated as expendable, employees don't seem to be valued, Upper management makes the schedule and gives preference to themselves before other employees. Not ideal scheduling if you are also a student.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Columbus, OH

I worked at DSW

Pros

Interns were exposed to many facets of the company. I was able to go to many higher up meetings and was given an intern project and presentation to complete.

Cons

The pay was decent and sometimes there was a lack of things for me to do. As an intern this made it kinda boring at times but overall it was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Make sure to have a planned out internship program that allows interns to feel like they are getting the most from experience. Management was very organized and efficient and overall a really great company to work for.

Good experience. Fun. Up & downs like any company. 30% discount on everything!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Fun. Good pay. Flexible hours especially if you attend college. Hours were good during peak season. 30% discount on everything!

Cons

A good amount of their customers tend to be rude and nasty. Hours were horrible during off season. Hardly room for growth.

Acknowledge your hard workers and do what you can to promote them if they are there for so long.

Fun job for shoe lovers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Shreveport, LA

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts are wonderful, they have flexible schedules if you are in school or have another
    job. Co-workers were all upbeat and fun.

Cons

Hours are very low during off season, sometimes your weekly time can drop as low as 8 hours.

Store management was hyper critical and lacked tact when speaking to those under her. The Managers should
    not forget their responsibility to demonstrate DSW values

Started off good but it went downhill.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhasset, NY

I worked at DSW

Pros

It seemed as though I was appreciated but all the recognition I would get was fake.

Cons

Cleaning up after your colleagues and being overworked doing other people's jobs.

Upper management seem very clueless and they do not display the behaviors and traits DSW is known for

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
Shoe Lovers DSW- Volunteers