DSW

Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Used to be my favorite job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is very competitive, and the overall benefits for managers are very good. The company doesn't always feel like retail because it's encouraged to think for yourself and make good decisions based on your business and your customers.

Cons

This company is completely lost when it comes to living it's Values. Unfortunately, that applies for every level; and it was not that way a couple of years ago. Over time, the environment became punitive and unfriendly. I've worked in several stores and states over time and got the same feedback from many others.

Walk your talk. Humility can go a long way when you want to admit that things aren't great as long as you want to improve them.

Lack of motivation

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a flexible job for people in college

Cons

Barley any hours no one really cares about the store

Get it together

Decent salary, yet awful management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at DSW

Pros

Salary, personal growth, employee discount.

Cons

Unorganized management, too much pressure on employees to sign up customers for rewards, unbalanced work-load.

Limit each employee to certain tasks, not all employees to every task available. It's an unbalanced system.

Dsw

I worked at DSW

Pros

The people were fantastic, discount was great and the different brands they offered were fantastic.

Cons

Technology was way behind the times. For example, if you needed to override something at the register, a manager would have to come up with their key and then sign the override. Even for something as simple as the item ringing in the wrong price. Processes used to get product onto the floor was way too time consuming

Figure out a better system for shipment. And invest in upgrading registers.

Push Rewards- you've got to be persuasive to do this job

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most people were rather nice, and willing to help you out if you fall behind during closing.
    The Job is easy to learn.
    They make an effort to let you know if a customer left good feedback about your work.
    Tons of pot-lucks and celebrations of the holidays (meaning lots of pizza and bagels!).

Cons

The job turned out to be a little different than what I expected. During orientation we learned more about how to talk about rewards and doing returns at the cash register (even though we weren't trained on the cash register!) than about shoes. I wish I was given more training on shoes, so I could be more informative in answering customer questions. I had to do some research during my spare time instead.

There was a lot of pressure to get shoelovers to sign-up for rewards. I felt that how well I was doing on the job was dependent on how many people I signed up. And that is probably the reason they did not keep me past the seasonal period. Selling rewards was difficult when there usually were not many customers in my section or they weren't willing to talk.

Job was not challenging enough. If you do not have shoelovers in your section than the only thing you do is walk down the aisle and straighten shoes.

My hours were cut all the time! Just about every week they would call off one of my days, so I ended up only working two shifts a week. My shifts were usually about 4 hours long. So averaging 10hrs a week is nothing for someone dependent on that income.

Most of the time vacuums did not work and were not fixed quickly. That meant we resorted to push vacuums or swept the carpets with a broom and dustpan. Very frustrating!

Don't hire employees you aren't going to employ!

Give all sales associates on the floor a tablet that they can use to look up shoes so that the cashiers don't have to be the middleman. I'd often wait five to ten minutes for them to get back to me, with me reminding them I was still waiting and standing there looking stupid with a shoelover also waiting. Your current system is a waste of time.

Good Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about the product. Typical retail hours, about 20. Pretty good training on any shoes you feel you need to know more about. Very easy to get hired. They hired all 7 of the people that applied and went into the group interview.

Cons

The customers are very messy and you spend most of your shift cleaning up after them. You dont make commission off any shoes you sell.

Overall, good first job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- decent starting pay, possible to go up in pay.
    - most of the people I've encountered working with were fun, exciting people to be with.
    - good hours if you ask for them and are willing to actually work.
    - good discounts

Cons

- lots of walking/standing
    - customers are very rude sometimes
    - cleaning expectations once store is closed are a bit much

I've worked at 2 different locations. The first store, I worked at for 2 and a half years. I am currently still working at the second location. With the first store, I loved it - the associates were awesome, fun and helpful, as well as the managers. The managers were completely willing to do the same work as the associates - they did not put themselves above it and that created great teamwork between the entire store. Now, in the second location I am currently working in, there is a new store manager that is completely detached from everyone else. The assistant managers also put themselves above the associates and their work. It's aggravating because the work piles up on associates and the managers are not willing to help when it's needed - if they do, they complain about it or give us some crap on why they're not suppose to.

Overall, the experience depends on the store that you're in and the people that are in charge. I cried when I left the first store because of how great the experience was for 2+ years, but I can't wait to find another job to escape the second store location.

Overall good work/life balance for retail

Current Employee - IT Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Genuinely care about customers. Positive work life balance. Great benefits. Casual work atmosphere. Can't beat the discount!

Cons

Not really technology focused. Most systems are older and in need of updates. Reluctance to put any money into anything that isn't directly related to making money.

Sometimes you have to invest within in order to deliver a better product outside.

Great!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, they focus on making sure DSW is everyone's favorite place to work.

Cons

None, really. For a retail job, it's great!

NA

Its a wonderful place to work.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at DSW

Pros

- Great starter job, in retail
    - Fair on breaks and lunch times
    - Great discount: 30% off

Cons

- Standing for long periods of time
    - Required to wear uncomfortable, dress shoes

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
Shoe Lovers DSW- Volunteers