DSW Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 25 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Not America's Favorite Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a shoe lover, you are in shoe heaven. No crazy holiday season during December ... peak is during boot season in October and sandal season in April.

Cons

Oh wear do I start... Let's just recruiters and upper management bring you on under false pretenses, whether that is the position you are applying for or about your salary... Lying to your face that they told you when you were hired that you were coming in capped! Like who does that? Who would leave a stable job to come to another where you won't see a raise unless you get promoted (and that's opening another can of worms). Then we have the mixed messages coming from upper management... As a manager you can't make an entrepreneurial decision! Managers are being over worked (quite often filling in as associates due to hours) and never get recognized! And let's not talk about "the customer is always right" they can yell at you and curse at you all they want just to get a coupon...you have to allow customers De-humanize you because don't you dare get a customer complaint. Please stop applying to fortune 100 until you actually do something to make the culture AFPW.

You have experienced qualified managers... Stop treating us like we we don't know what we are doing.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at DSW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week.
    The salary is very competitive.
    Great vision followed by great values.

Cons

Too many initiatives at once. The pressure to balance service and the tasking is not feasible with payroll allotted.
    The tablet goals are terrible too, I get it's a technology driven culture however at the end of the day the customer just wants rung up and go and they could care less if it's at the cash wrap or a stupid tablet.
    The RD visits aren't what they should be- more support and positive energy versus intimidation and barking.
    The DM's and RD's spend too much time making sure the values are lived to sales associates but SM's feel unappreciated and all efforts are overlooked with little to no recognition- it's a double standard.
    The complaints versus compliments goal (7:1) is absolutely ridiculous. Though it's understandable it's not a realistic goal to attain, I guarantee most compliments in stores are friends of employes so stores ratio looks great. There's no "benefit of the doubt" when a customer complains about some things. SM's have to walk on eggshells to make decisions when dealing with difficult customers in fear of a complaint, it's the end of the world when it happens.
    There's not much celebrated amongst the SM's, we only feel special once a year during the SM conference.

Ensure the values apply to SM's, they need to feel encouraged and recognized too. SM's pretty much stand by themselves in stores, the AM's stick together for the most part and so do the SA's
    Be realistic about time spent tasking- more payroll or added seasonal positions during peak times... Like temporary key holders or stock supervisors.
    RD's soften your approach on visits, we should look forward to them NOT fear them.

So much potential...

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, GREAT paid time off, good benefits, 30% discount, fun and easy product to work with.

Cons

I have never worked for a company that focused so much on accountability and negativity. It's always about what you are doing wrong, or what field level management considers "wrong" or sometimes even as far as something that is irrelevant to the business, but they make a big deal about something so minor and irrelevant just to hold someone accountable, as if they thrive on it to make it look like they were doing their job. Retail is a challenging environment, and Full Time management sacrifice a lot just so that a company can profit, and we get a short end of it, missing family time, weekend time, holidays, etc, so support your store leadership, motivate us, develop us, avoid negative context, we are in our roles for a reason, let us do our jobs, let us have fun, now THAT will create America's Favorite Place to Work. We can only control what we can control, we can only control as far as our customers are willing to do.

Support your store leadership, step down to our level and into our shoes. You have some incredible managers supporting your stores, keep them on board.

Okay temporary job

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

Decent and also flexible hours, easy job, discount is nice

Cons

Management is not great at all, trying to advance within is like pulling teeth, pay isn't great, company has values that they don't live by

Stop with the favoritism

DSW was a good place to work, things are always changing and no grace period to meet expectations. Good luck.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

if you love shoes, this is the place for you. if you don't have a family and can work long hours, you will enjoy this job.

Cons

your hours worked are unlimited. you have to make everyone feel like it's there favorite. But you don't get the same treatment.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% discount
    Great people to work with
    Thats it.

Cons

Where do I begin... Lets talk about Rewards. The management team puts too much pressure on associates to sign up people. They need to understand that ITS OK IF THEY SAY NO!! and they need to aknowledge that its not even that great...
    -Customers: some of the rudest people I have ever have to deal with. Its embatrassing and degrading to have to agree with management with everything the customer requests. They are so afraid of people calling and complaing that they will do anything to "take care of them" meaning if the customer comes is saying "i bought these pair of shoes and i worn them for 6 months and look the stones all fell out and this is not quality" like HELLO!!! Once they are worn outside it is not the company's responsability if they fall apart. But DSW babies their customers. One time, an old man wanted to return shoes from Off Broadway and got so mad because in his alzheimer's mind he was 100 % sure he got them at DSW. Manager took the shoes back, and the customer walked out with FREE SHOES. What kind of company allows that!!!??? Its such bs. The company is going down and I feel so bad for management for having to deal with all of this. My managers are actually really great and they are very helpful with everything. So as far as the management team, I understand they work hard and have no serious complaints about them. They were really great. Overall, I quit DSW after 7 months because I just couldnt take it anymore. The floor is always a mess, the type of people that come here to shop... You will learn very quickly that money and class dont go hand in hand. The customers are so messy and rude, and the closing shift is always hell. I did shipment for a little bit and my thoughts were "Wow, all this work, to get shoes on the floor, and this is how people treat you. Good bye DSW"

None. Most issues radicate from the fact that we are understaffed. And its funny to see new people get hired. 2 out of 3 will quit within the first month. Its a lot of work for a sales associate possition.

Very nice but very hard to stay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off is given as much as the managers can. The associates and some of the managers are nice.

Cons

Not as friendly as the managers could be.

Act as a team and be more envoloved with team work on the floor.

Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

DSW as a company offers a great discount (30%) on all merchandise. My manager has understanding of my crazy school schedule and allows me to work when I can within my desired rang of hours. Coworkers will vary by store but I have gotten along so well with everyone who has been employeed here over the year. Its awesome to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. The pay for associates is awesome too. I was very happy with my initial hiring pay and then my annual raise was very generous. I feel that we are paid very well for part time retail work.

Cons

My biggest challenge has been the scheduling. Most of the associates are over worked. We are given 8-9 hour shifts multiple times a week including all weekend (ex- 11-730 or 130-10). It is a store wide problem for us. Multiple part time associates have been scheduled close to 40 hours because of under-staffing. Part time associates should be kept to 20 hours unless they specifically say they need more. The schedule lacks variation and associates are usually scheduled Friday-Sunday every weekend unless they request off. It would be nice to be give a weekend off on a rotation system like mangers get.

Need to hire more associates. Give associates weekends off on a rotation just like the managers. Communicate with associates informally about things going on in the store/room for improvement.

Shoe Lovers

Current Employee - Sales Associate & Cashier in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate & Cashier in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, managers who care and generally communicate well. The stock changes frequently, which keeps things interesting.

Cons

Overscheduling, once you're register trained that's all you get to do. They need to register train people more quickly.

Be more creative when selecting trends.

Excellent

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Great work balance as I was a full time student
    Managers are friendly

Cons

Some days can go slow

DSW Photos

DSW-Work-life balance!
DSW Shoes at the Arboretum
The best store in the World

+ Add Photo