DSW

Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • The company had a strong work-life balance and it was ever a problem to get a day off (in 24 reviews)

• Their employee discount is generous and they are loyal to their employees (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the rewards program to customers to the point of making them mad (in 40 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Favorite

Current Employee - Retail Associate  in  Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Denton, TX

Pros

Everyone here is so friendly, helpful, and genuine. I work two jobs, and when talking to my manager here about how to incorporate hours to fit around my other job, he asked me what my favorite would be. He genuinely cared about me enjoying working there, despite having to work around another job.

Cons

There are a lot of different tasks; it's more than just selling shoes.

Good first part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Providence, RI

Pros

Good pay, Friendly coworkers, managers easy to get along with and understanding, customers are usually friendlier than compared to other fields of work, great 30% discount you can use on anything in the store

Cons

Lousy hours (the average person in my store, and I work at a fairly big and busy store in a mall, gets about 10 hours a week), DSW Rewards stressed a little too much - sometimes I feel like I have to worry more about signing people up then interacting with them

Pretty cool place to work, truly for shoe lovers

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mays Landing, NJ

Pros

Start at $10 per hour, short shifts (this was a 2nd job for me), discount is 30% of everything

Cons

Had to clean the bathroom (which is why I quit), working clearance sucks because you get tired of walking back and forth, summertime was dead

Hire a cleaning crew for maintenance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Pros

Discount, team is like your family. Job security, values based company, competitive pay.

Cons

Some of the leadership that works in stores aren't where they should be in the quality of leadership, smaller stores tend to have more gossip.

Hire better managers.

Sales Associate REVIEW

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Loved working here! Company culture, leadership, sales goals, etc. were all great.

Cons

Can be a bit boring organizing shoes every day.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

great discount. fairly easy work and a very friendly environment.

Cons

not too many really if you've worked retail before you're familiar with the types of work involved. Managers can sometimes play favorites.

Great company.

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

Pros

Most management believe in the values the company tries so hard to incorporate. Great starting pay. Great choices on product with nice discount (30%). Moved up very quickly from sales associate to assistant merch manager to assistant ops manager. INCREDIBLE district manager!!! Great employees. I was able to make so many lasting friendships.

Cons

Payroll was always a struggle meaning not enough hours for managers to manage and employees to maintain the floor and cashwrap. On most occasions, as a manager, I was working with just one other person. Selling the rewards was a struggle of integrity with some associates. They felt pressured to get a percent to sign up and the numbers were meaningless to them. Very little opportunity to grow as a person in a management position. My hours were erratic at best and never any sort of schedule so I couldn't go back to college (now that I had the money). I could be at work anytime from 7 am - 4 pm or 3p - 12 am with no consistency.

I was blessed to have an incredible store manager who encouraged my growth as a person and employee. He was promoted to another higher volume store and I got a manager who was not ready to be a store manager. Her training was lacking I know but it always felt like she was just treading water and almost drowning and that caused the rest of our management team to do the same. The store really suffered in many ways including moral because of this. She was constantly late, taking personal calls at work for hours, spending too much time in the office. When I spoke with the District Manager about this, she took the steps to have her let go eventually (13 months later) but we lost so much momentum it was hard to recover from that.

I would not work here again!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

It was an easy job and flexible if the managers liked you. Most of the sales associates were really nice and fun to work with.

Cons

We had to sweep the carpet of the entire warehouse with a broom.. every night! We had vacuums but management did not let us use them. Management in general is is sub-par, catty and very dramatic. They listen to and spread rumors about individuals and are not professional in the slightest. They schedule you to work just under 40 hours so they have you working almost full time, but they don't have to pay the benefits. All they care about is getting rewards sign ups. They even go so far as signing people up under fake accounts.

Pay attention to your sales associates and treat them with respect.

Awful merchandising environment at corporate

Pros

The discount on shoes and value city furniture. The office is nice. The product was fun to work with

Cons

It's a big fraternity/sorority. Lots of bullying going on. Management is awful and far from leaders. They do not follow the company values. There is no collaboration, and no one is accountable for anything. The fast turnover happens for a reason. I think everyone in the HR dept is new. And lots of merchants have been leaving. And their leased department? Well that's just a joke. Stay away unless you enjoy working in negative environments. Company has serious problems.

Try following your company values & learn how to be leaders instead of bullies.

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

Pros

Met some cool people. Offered a great 30% discount to employees.

Cons

TERRIBLE managers (except for one), who expect you to work "on-call" for a $9.00/hr job. Would extend your shift even if you didn't want to (maybe had already had made other plans, had school, etc.) and they wouldn't care. Usually get stuck with the same shifts over and over - meaning that if you had the closing shift every night, expect to do the bathrooms/trash every night, whereas others would work mid-day shifts and never have to do that kind of work. Management wanted everyone to be overly cheery, even though management was often not cheery at all to customers (experienced by my family members). REALLY pushed the Rewards program and would "punish" by putting your name on a white board for all to see if you weren't meeting their standards. Lots of favoritism in the workplace. Lots of cliques. Often the break room was filled with new shipments of shoes that needed to be put out, so not a relaxing break room environment at all - always crowded with merchandise. Zero room for promotion. Worked there for 4 years while in college and did the same thing day in and day out. Was hired at $8.50 and left work at $9.05. When I was first hired it was for the grand opening of a store, so it was nice to meet all new people who helped put the store together (literally putting shelves together, etc.). However, soon all the managers who were there from the beginning got fired or were gradually pushed out till they wanted to quit. After that, the place and standards went to crap. HATED working there. After I quit, I vowed to never step inside another DSW and give my money to them - and never have been back! Thank the Lord.

Worked for DSW? Contribute to the Community!