DSW Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Store manager

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

-flexible
    -good quality of life
    - good values

Cons

-favoritism can happen, harder to move up or prove one self

Rude Customers, Hectic Work, Strict Managment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Iselin, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Iselin, NJ

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the store location, you can probably get a good amount of hours; but it's not a definite thing.

Cons

The work is hectic, customers can be really rude and snooty. Managers micro-manage your work, and often don't have enough workers on the floor. Customers sometimes stay past the closing time, and once you do successfully close down there isn't a definite time that you'll end your shift (because of cleaning); it all depends on how quickly EVERYONE finishes; you'll have to wait for everyone else to finish their work, even if you've finished your share.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing the Sales Associate's work, the wage isn't equivalent to "that type" of working-standard. Most importantly, try to keep a decent amount of workers on the floor, especially if your location is a bigger store; don't cheap out on the help, then stress the little bit of workers you do have on the shift.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lithonia, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lithonia, GA

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount, more hours over the holiday season, pretty flexible

Cons

Hate the pressure for rewards program.! With all the fraud and cyber attacks on major companies, i would be hesitant on giving out my information too! Managers are never on the same page and it's aggravating being undermined in front of the customer. Measly pay for all the work associates do. We are cashiers, merchandisers, and of course janitors for our disgusting clientele who could careless about the messes they make.

Advice to Management

Don't jump down our throats for a rewards program that makes your associates hate getting on the register. Be more consistent with policies. Learn how to say no and your customers won't try to abuse the system!

Assistant Manager of Operations

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at DSW

Pros

Great discount on shoes! Very organized company.

Cons

Absolutely NO work-life balance. My manager would always rearrange my PTO so I could not take it. I never called in. Did not have any type of flexibility. Timed you on your shipment. Very hard work. If you were scheduled until five you were expected to leave six or seven.

Advice to Management

Let your employees manage and not micro-manage the Assistant managers. Work towards being a balanced company for families. Did not give review on time.

Co-Manager

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Good concept with letting managers make decisions on their business. Very easy and straight forward customer service model- just make them happy. The schedule for management is great compared to what other retailers mandate. Christmas season is awesome- you are not worked to death!

Cons

So many cons- the DM can't communicate to his team, SMs are burnt out due to working overload, operations drown the stores yet the higher ups don't see that, all you do is straighten shoes, boxes and pick up tons of trash off the floor. I feel like a housekeeper most days. We talk about customer service but really- not possible the way payroll has been stripped down to bare bones. There's more and it saddens me since I used to like it here! Boy have things changed...

Advice to Management

Revisit what the reality is in the stores- we are running on empty

sales associate

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Geneva, IL

I have been working at DSW

Pros

decent pay for part time retail friendly environment

Cons

not much room to advance from within

Desperate and delusional

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Great co-workers
    Nice shoes and good discount
    Staying busy in high volume store
    Selling shoes is not exactly hard work

Cons

Too many cons to list with Rewards enrollment madness being on top until now. This company is going insane and paranoid to recover their already tarnished image. I can't wait how many five stars reviews, that are fake and scripted, will pop after every negative one posted. If you are wondering why, it is because there is a huge internal push to improve DSW's ratings on social media. After reading some of them, it is clearly designed by the authors to receive proper credit. Store Manager in Chicago with company for x years, making sure that corporate knows who you are. Some are even blatant and add their location. Why stop there, just sign it and wait for the kudos and recognition. PATHETIC!!

Advice to Management

The best company to work for does not intimidate and terrifies their workforce. Great reviews, that are genuine, should come from your employees because that is how they feel working for you. Talking about it in our huddle makes us want to do the exact opposite. I thought this was a values based company , however DSW clearly doesn't include integrity into the mix. Maybe, there is a good reason why your rating is low. How about fixing the root cause instead of creating forced reviews? Time to look for another job.

Seasonal

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was minimum wage. Everyone was really nice and helpful. There were a few times the managers decided to have potluck. And for the holidays, we would get a 40% discount instead of our usual 30%.

Cons

I barely got any hours, 16 at the most. The managers were always watching you to make sure you were smiling, talking to the customers, or signing them up for the rewards program. It honestly made me uncomfortable. I never looked forward to going into work. I wasn't able to make it to the cashier training and they told me that there was going to be another training day for the others who couldn't make it, but the never had another one. So those people and I weren't able to be cashiers for a few months.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Work/life balance, the ability to act like a business owner bs business operator, a peer team of SM's that leverage each other's strengths and opportunities. A supporting DM who challenges you to be the best you can be but gives feedback to help you grow. I am excited to come to work each day.

Cons

I don't have many complaints at all. If anything, I wish there was opportunities for raises based on exceeding performance more than once a year or a larger bonus structure that included compliments, Shoephoria performance, etcetera.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the field and supporting us! That's what makes DSW my favorite place to work!

descent

I worked at DSW

Pros

Flexible
    Small staff
    Coworkers where like family

Cons

Leaving late some nights
    Not able to tell shoppers that were closing

RSS Feed </> Embed