DSW

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are looking for a job in management. ....RUN!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

One weekend off a month
    The amount of vacation time you receive.

Cons

Where to begin?

Lack of respect given from the district manager as well as the regional manager and V.P. of store operations.

Different standards from store to store.

The yearly survey is a witch hunt for managers. They survey is supposed to be confidential, yet it never is. Half of the managers won't answer honestly due to retaliation from their manager.

AFPW..... is only for part time, full time, and assistant managers. There is absolutely zero appreciation for the store managers who work their butts off and dedicate so much of their time to their jobs. You live in fear daily of losing your job for the littlest things. Associates can be rude and disrespectful and the district manager will side with the employee every time.

I would love to say there is a work life balance but that would be lying. The stores that are capable of achieving that are the lowest volume stores or the stores with an excess of managers while some stores are running under staffed . There is very little to no collaboration within the district.

It is very important to staff a store that is diverse. However, it is a problem when you are told on many occasions there was a problem with who was hired. You should NEVER not hire someone because of race, age, religion, or any of the other protected classes. If a person is skilled and qualified and there is an opening ....they should get the job.

The values are great.... however in order for them to be effective you must actually live them. The district I was part does not live the values. I am a firm believer it starts with the top and trickles down. As a district manager you set the bar and the standard you want your team to meet. The district manager was more interested in spreading gossip, being unfair, inconsistent with her expectations from all stores, hiring people based on their looks instead of the skill they could bring to the team.

HR should really travel to districts and spend time with upper management.

Try making your store managers feel appreciated for all their time and efforts.

Really re-evaluate your district managers.

Ensure EVERYONE lives the values.

Understand people make mistakes and learn from them. That does not mean we should all live in fear of losing our jobs if we make a mistake.

Be understanding of family. 2 managers missed being with their parents as they were dying because they were told NO they could not use their vacation time to be with them. That is absolutely ridiculous and should make no one want to work for this company.

Not America's Favorite Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a shoe lover, you are in shoe heaven. No crazy holiday season during December ... peak is during boot season in October and sandal season in April.

Cons

Oh wear do I start... Let's just recruiters and upper management bring you on under false pretenses, whether that is the position you are applying for or about your salary... Lying to your face that they told you when you were hired that you were coming in capped! Like who does that? Who would leave a stable job to come to another where you won't see a raise unless you get promoted (and that's opening another can of worms). Then we have the mixed messages coming from upper management... As a manager you can't make an entrepreneurial decision! Managers are being over worked (quite often filling in as associates due to hours) and never get recognized! And let's not talk about "the customer is always right" they can yell at you and curse at you all they want just to get a coupon...you have to allow customers De-humanize you because don't you dare get a customer complaint. Please stop applying to fortune 100 until you actually do something to make the culture AFPW.

You have experienced qualified managers... Stop treating us like we we don't know what we are doing.

I've had many jobs, and this is by far the worst.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at DSW as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I could walk to work.
    Discount.
    Other employees were fun to work with.

Cons

Worst management team I've ever seen- childlike, manipulative, mean spirited. There were multiple people who quit mid-shift. Made you feel disposable.
    Could not make real relationships with any customers because they wanted you to always interact with everyone in your section.
    On-call shifts you had to call in an hour before- had you plan your whole day around the shift, if you worked or not.

I would not even give any advice to the management at this store, (Belmont and Clark) they are so rotten. I would go to the corporate higher ups and tell how awful this was. I really would not wish this job to my dearest enemies.

Okay temporary job

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

Decent and also flexible hours, easy job, discount is nice

Cons

Management is not great at all, trying to advance within is like pulling teeth, pay isn't great, company has values that they don't live by

Stop with the favoritism

DSW was a good place to work, things are always changing and no grace period to meet expectations. Good luck.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

if you love shoes, this is the place for you. if you don't have a family and can work long hours, you will enjoy this job.

Cons

your hours worked are unlimited. you have to make everyone feel like it's there favorite. But you don't get the same treatment.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (less than an year)

Pros

30% discount
    Great people to work with
    Thats it.

Cons

Where do I begin... Lets talk about Rewards. The management team puts too much pressure on associates to sign up people. They need to understand that ITS OK IF THEY SAY NO!! and they need to aknowledge that its not even that great...
    -Customers: some of the rudest people I have ever have to deal with. Its embatrassing and degrading to have to agree with management with everything the customer requests. They are so afraid of people calling and complaing that they will do anything to "take care of them" meaning if the customer comes is saying "i bought these pair of shoes and i worn them for 6 months and look the stones all fell out and this is not quality" like HELLO!!! Once they are worn outside it is not the company's responsability if they fall apart. But DSW babies their customers. One time, an old man wanted to return shoes from Off Broadway and got so mad because in his alzheimer's mind he was 100 % sure he got them at DSW. Manager took the shoes back, and the customer walked out with FREE SHOES. What kind of company allows that!!!??? Its such bs. The company is going down and I feel so bad for management for having to deal with all of this. My managers are actually really great and they are very helpful with everything. So as far as the management team, I understand they work hard and have no serious complaints about them. They were really great. Overall, I quit DSW after 7 months because I just couldnt take it anymore. The floor is always a mess, the type of people that come here to shop... You will learn very quickly that money and class dont go hand in hand. The customers are so messy and rude, and the closing shift is always hell. I did shipment for a little bit and my thoughts were "Wow, all this work, to get shoes on the floor, and this is how people treat you. Good bye DSW"

None. Most issues radicate from the fact that we are understaffed. And its funny to see new people get hired. 2 out of 3 will quit within the first month. Its a lot of work for a sales associate possition.

Very nice but very hard to stay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cary, NC

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off is given as much as the managers can. The associates and some of the managers are nice.

Cons

Not as friendly as the managers could be.

Act as a team and be more envoloved with team work on the floor.

Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

DSW as a company offers a great discount (30%) on all merchandise. My manager has understanding of my crazy school schedule and allows me to work when I can within my desired rang of hours. Coworkers will vary by store but I have gotten along so well with everyone who has been employeed here over the year. Its awesome to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. The pay for associates is awesome too. I was very happy with my initial hiring pay and then my annual raise was very generous. I feel that we are paid very well for part time retail work.

Cons

My biggest challenge has been the scheduling. Most of the associates are over worked. We are given 8-9 hour shifts multiple times a week including all weekend (ex- 11-730 or 130-10). It is a store wide problem for us. Multiple part time associates have been scheduled close to 40 hours because of under-staffing. Part time associates should be kept to 20 hours unless they specifically say they need more. The schedule lacks variation and associates are usually scheduled Friday-Sunday every weekend unless they request off. It would be nice to be give a weekend off on a rotation system like mangers get.

Need to hire more associates. Give associates weekends off on a rotation just like the managers. Communicate with associates informally about things going on in the store/room for improvement.

Shoe Lovers

Current Employee - Sales Associate & Cashier in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate & Cashier in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, managers who care and generally communicate well. The stock changes frequently, which keeps things interesting.

Cons

Overscheduling, once you're register trained that's all you get to do. They need to register train people more quickly.

Be more creative when selecting trends.

Excellent

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Great work balance as I was a full time student
    Managers are friendly

Cons

Some days can go slow