DSW

Updated January 29, 2015
3.1

DSW President, CEO, and Director Mike MacDonald
Mike MacDonald

Pros
  • Though your salary the work life balance is great, about 40-45 hour work week (in 27 reviews)

• 30% employee discount- but don't use it or you make be accused of taking advantage of the system (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • As many people have already mentioned the overly aggressive rewards program (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management takes out their life problems on us part time employees (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales associate at DSW

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discounts, who doesn't love shoes! Pretty low stress environment except when promoting rewards program.

Cons

Stop placing so much emphasis on the rewards program percentage. Some people just refuse to give information-company is very driven on capturing address & emails of shoppers. It is very frowned upon to receive a No from a customer, you basically force customer to sign up. It's a great loyalty program, just hated forcing people into it.

Listen to the floor team.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at DSW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is okay. Great discount. Great team feeling and good relationship with associates. The company also has great benefits.

Cons

Angry customers and the return of worn shoes. A lot of theft and there is no security to deter theft. Some store managers are disconnected from the associates and staff.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

I have worked for this company in several cities under several different leaders. Through all of that transition, DSW really does stand behind their values - it is a seamless experience regardless of which Regional Director or District Manager you report to, and we value passion, collaboration, accountability, and humility. We live these values as an entire company, from the CEO to home office partners to LP/HR support to stores. (And as a side note, it's really great that as a SM, I have regular interaction with all of these areas of the company! It really makes you feel connected.)

Besides all of the normal perks, (discount, competitive salary, work/life balance, paid time off, etc.) DSW gives its leaders an opportunity to impact their business and take smart risks to drive results. There is a lot of opportunity for personal growth for those who are looking for advancement - an online learning center, plenty of stretch assignments, and just a general enthusiasm for new ideas and initiative.

Those who are successful with DSW are those who have a genuine desire to deliver a positive experience for their customers and teammates, those who embrace feedback and seek out opportunities for improvement, and those who are energized by driving results and embracing the unexpected. These may sound like "company lines," but genuinely describe my experience working for this company. I would highly recommend DSW.

Cons

No company is perfect - we are challenged sometimes with new roll outs not going exactly as anticipated and timeliness of communication for new initiatives. The good news is that in the spirit of humility, the company spends a lot of time asking for our feedback and making improvements for next time. As we are a rapidly growing company, we are experiencing some growing pains...but I would rather have those growing pains than no growth at all.

In my personal experience, one of the most frustrating things about my job is hearing from some of my peers about their complaints - including some who have written reviews on this site. This is retail - we are a goals-driven industry and we are held accountable to goals. We are a customer-service driven industry and we take customer feedback seriously. We have district and regional managers who are paid to give us feedback and guidance, both positive and critically. If you are not a person who agrees with those statements, this company (and industry) may not be a good fit for you.

Continue with the coffee chats and touch bases from RD/VPs to SMs - we love them!
    We seem to have a big skills gap between SM and AM - although we are working on this at a district level, maybe a company initiative (market meetings, high performer program) would be beneficial.

Not Fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount on shoes. Opportunity to meet new people and improve skills.

Cons

Trying to get customers to sign up for rewards programs and trying to provide customer service to customers who don't want to be bothered.

It is a fun and great place to work.

Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - DSW ASSOCIATE in Appleton, WI

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

DSW gives great customer service. Also a great employee discounts. The managers are great and they are good at working with my schedule.

Cons

Not too many cons about the job except i spend my paycheck on shoes.

Love working here at DSW.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DSW

Pros

Meeting new people and the amazing discount

Cons

There are not enough hours to go around

Great job

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

The values of the company

Cons

Getting bigger so it gets less personal

The values drive every promotion decision

Good for First Retail Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employee discount
    Fun and relaxed work environment
    Brand Meetings
    DSW swag earned from time to time
    Dress Code

Cons

Mandatory Shift Extensions
    Loss Prevention Policies
    Not Enough Growth Opportunity
    #PREPPED/Freight Process
    Pressure from Corporate

Look to hire first from within. There were plenty of talented and dedicated employees eager to level up in the company that have been shunned away.

Nice culture

I have been working at DSW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees are awesome, the way you get to meet a lot of different people and help them out.

Cons

A lot of pressure to push rewards program.. It can be a little much sometimes.

Wonderful experience

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Avondale, AZ

I worked at DSW part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are so many great people to work with! also the associate discount was awesome!

Cons

there were none at all!

DSW Photos

The best store in the World
Shoe Lovers DSW- Volunteers