DTN Management Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Thomas Kuschinski

1. Great company, especially during college!!

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at DTN Management Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing managers, co-workers are also all super friendly!! Everyone works with a team-mentality, making the job so much fun and everyone helps each other out to make sure that things get done.

Cons

Pay is not the best. Low hourly and low commission. With that being said, at our specific office the managers had a lot of incentives to lease apartments with opportunities of extra commission.

Advice to Management

Love the core values that you teach all of your employees, giving everyone a clear view of the company standard.

2. Great place for students!

Former Employee - Leasing Agent

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Your co-workers and clients are often young professionals - You will get a great deal of experience at this job, as it is a small office and will be delegated a great variety of tasks - great view of how the business is run

Cons

- leasing agents have very low power in the organization as a whole - if you're looking for a real job, this is not the place for you. Very little advancement opportunities. - Definitely not enough pay if you're actually putting in the time and effort

3. Great Company

Former Employee - Maintenance
    Former Employee - Maintenance

I worked at DTN Management Company

Pros

Friendly people Consistent 8-5 Work Day

Cons

Sometimes Dysfunctional during Changeover Minimum wage

5. Fantastic Experience !

I have been working at DTN Management Company

Pros

I had an incredible experience working with DTN and I can't say enough great things about the service!

Cons

I don't have any cons to speak of

6. I love my DTN family!!!

Current Employee - Account Manager/Administrative Assistant in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Administrative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I have been working at DTN Management Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owners and everyone in upper management truly care about their employees. It's a very family friendly company to work for and they are very accommodating when family emergencies pop up which is extremely important and helpful for me! In my office we have an amazing atmosphere with amazing people. You are rewarded for a job well done and are guided when you need a little extra help. They offer an awesome benefits package which includes what I believe to be one of the best 401k plans you could ever ask for.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons. Whenever I've had an issue, it has always been quickly rectified as they want their employees to be happy. Our summer apartment turns are rough work but that's to be expected!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing! Love this company and plan to be part of the DTN family for many years to come!

7. Leasing consultant

Former Employee - Leasing Agent

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, fun, professional environment that is easy to learn plus small commissions for each leased signed

Cons

Expected to follow phone scripts that are not always necessary

8. DTN is like a second family.

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at DTN Management Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'd have to say one of the best things about this company is the people in upper management. They truly care about their employees as if they were their own family. I've never had to question whether or not someone "had my back". They definitely do a wonderful job showing their appreciation for their employees.

Cons

It can be a very stressful job depending on the size property. Employees aren't necessarily paid what they're worth. The pay doesn't fit well with the current economy. You end up working very hard to meet their high standards just to live paycheck to paycheck and barely make do. Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy your essentials and when you can barely afford those, it's hard to be happy anyway.

Advice to Management

I think it would be helpful to assess the reality of what your employees are paid. Many great employees have been lost due to the low wages once they find they can make more money with other companies while also working in a much less stressful environment.

9. A high stress, high pressure thankless job

Former Employee - Service Manager in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Service Manager in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, matching 401k savings plan, strong force in the student property communities.

Cons

They take advantage of a salaried position, loading on lots of extra hours, sometimes exceeding 70-80 hours a week. The management position is a thankless, micro-managed job, no room to make decisions without upper managements approval, sometimes taking weeks for a decision.

Advice to Management

It you hire someone to manage your department, let them manage it without constantly looking over their shoulder. What looks good at a meeting table doesn't always apply in the field. Also if you offer an "open door policy to discuss concerns, don't develop an attitude if it is something you don't want to hear that goes against a policy you had in place sense the beginning.

10. Terrible experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company

Pros

Commissions in addition to hourly salary for each lease I had signed was nice. Then, shortly after I was hired, the commission was almost cut in half. Not cool.

Cons

This job was a nightmare. The management and leadership was a complete joke. My boss would literally disappear on Fridays without telling anyone they were leaving, to smoke and/or go on vacations. The company culture was terrible and going to work was dreadful. Good employees are lost quickly with DTN because it seems promotions are based solely on seniority and not actual leadership qualities. I see a post saying otherwise. I'm assuming that one was created by DTN leadership... I stayed with the company for a couple of years, only because I was still in college, the money was good in the summer with commissions, and I didn't have to deal with my boss much because they were never there! I was eventually promoted and stayed to finish school. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. As a young college student, I didn't know any better. As a successful working professional, I can now look back and see how much of a joke that job was.

Advice to Management

Start over with the lower and middle management. Some of these people are family and there are serious conflicts of interest as well as nepotism at play. Many of them only show up to work when corporate meets are necessary. I hate to sound this harsh, but it's seriously like a high school drama. I guess it's because DTN doesn't care about the education level or management experience when hiring and keeping on lower and middle management employees.

11. Poor leadership

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Phone call services offer a straight forward service. Mini management per community, offering an easier and more immediate service for the community that you live in.

Cons

The company covers almost all of Lansing, East Lansing, and Okemos area, therefore they have monopoly power and are money hungry. Internal management do not express value towards employees' skills and talents.

Advice to Management

Please show more appreciation and value towards your employees. Give them the dues that they are entitled to.

RSS Feed </> Embed