DTN Management Company

Thomas Kuschinski

I love my DTN family!!!

Current Employee - Account Manager/Administrative Assistant in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Administrative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I have been working at DTN Management Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The owners and everyone in upper management truly care about their employees. It's a very family friendly company to work for and they are very accommodating when family emergencies pop up which is extremely important and helpful for me! In my office we have an amazing atmosphere with amazing people. You are rewarded for a job well done and are guided when you need a little extra help. They offer an awesome benefits package which includes what I believe to be one of the best 401k plans you could ever ask for.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons. Whenever I've had an issue, it has always been quickly rectified as they want their employees to be happy. Our summer apartment turns are rough work but that's to be expected!

Keep on doing what you're doing! Love this company and plan to be part of the DTN family for many years to come!

Leasing consultant

Former Employee - Leasing Agent
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, fun, professional environment that is easy to learn plus small commissions for each leased signed

Cons

Expected to follow phone scripts that are not always necessary

DTN is like a second family.

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at DTN Management Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'd have to say one of the best things about this company is the people in upper management. They truly care about their employees as if they were their own family. I've never had to question whether or not someone "had my back". They definitely do a wonderful job showing their appreciation for their employees.

Cons

It can be a very stressful job depending on the size property. Employees aren't necessarily paid what they're worth. The pay doesn't fit well with the current economy. You end up working very hard to meet their high standards just to live paycheck to paycheck and barely make do. Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy your essentials and when you can barely afford those, it's hard to be happy anyway.

I think it would be helpful to assess the reality of what your employees are paid. Many great employees have been lost due to the low wages once they find they can make more money with other companies while also working in a much less stressful environment.

A high stress, high pressure thankless job

Former Employee - Service Manager in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Service Manager in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, matching 401k savings plan, strong force in the student property communities.

Cons

They take advantage of a salaried position, loading on lots of extra hours, sometimes exceeding 70-80 hours a week. The management position is a thankless, micro-managed job, no room to make decisions without upper managements approval, sometimes taking weeks for a decision.

It you hire someone to manage your department, let them manage it without constantly looking over their shoulder. What looks good at a meeting table doesn't always apply in the field. Also if you offer an "open door policy to discuss concerns, don't develop an attitude if it is something you don't want to hear that goes against a policy you had in place sense the beginning.

Terrible experience

I worked at DTN Management Company

Pros

Commissions in addition to hourly salary for each lease I had signed was nice. Then, shortly after I was hired, the commission was almost cut in half. Not cool.

Cons

This job was a nightmare. The management and leadership was a complete joke. My boss would literally disappear on Fridays without telling anyone they were leaving, to smoke and/or go on vacations. The company culture was terrible and going to work was dreadful. Good employees are lost quickly with DTN because it seems promotions are based solely on seniority and not actual leadership qualities. I see a post saying otherwise. I'm assuming that one was created by DTN leadership... I stayed with the company for a couple of years, only because I was still in college, the money was good in the summer with commissions, and I didn't have to deal with my boss much because they were never there! I was eventually promoted and stayed to finish school. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. As a young college student, I didn't know any better. As a successful working professional, I can now look back and see how much of a joke that job was.

Start over with the lower and middle management. Some of these people are family and there are serious conflicts of interest as well as nepotism at play. Many of them only show up to work when corporate meets are necessary. I hate to sound this harsh, but it's seriously like a high school drama. I guess it's because DTN doesn't care about the education level or management experience when hiring and keeping on lower and middle management employees.

Poor leadership

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Phone call services offer a straight forward service. Mini management per community, offering an easier and more immediate service for the community that you live in.

Cons

The company covers almost all of Lansing, East Lansing, and Okemos area, therefore they have monopoly power and are money hungry. Internal management do not express value towards employees' skills and talents.

Please show more appreciation and value towards your employees. Give them the dues that they are entitled to.

Great PT job

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in East Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Fun employee appreciation events

Cons

Lots of drama within management
    Not a lot of opportunity for growth
    Lack of communication from management

Allowed to do a lot between working

I worked at DTN Management Company

Pros

Studying. There is no problem in taking time to finish. Laid back.

Cons

No incentive to do a job well. Good or bad it doesn't matter. Nobody cares about what is going on. They only care about doing things cheaply. A lot of quick fixes but nothing long term. Nothing meant to last longer than a year.

Stop treating people like dirt.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Lansing, MI

I worked at DTN Management Company

Pros

They are a company that cares about its employees and do fair and honest work. They really talk to their employees and make sure they are happy. They are also very good about recognizing those who do a good job. Even though you spend alot of time working at the office, they encourage you to spend time with your co-workers which really adds an extra component to the company

Cons

Pay isn't that great and sometimes your views aren't heard if you are being overshadowed by your superior. This is expecially frustrating when you are the person talking with the residents who are paying the bills at your community.

Listen to what the leasing personnel are saying, since they are the ones who are talking to the prospective residents

Been here for almost 4 years, in no rush to leave.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at DTN Management Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work for the company are very friendly and I've met some amazing friends and coworkers while working for them.
    Upper management is very rewarding to employees. Whenever I see them, they always say thank you and throw several employee appreciation events.
    The managers I've dealt with directly are very good at backing up and supporting their employees, especially when it comes to conflict.
    Although it's a business and their goal is to make money, they really seem to care about the people who not only work for them, but the people we work for. I've never seen anyone display any unkind or malicious behavior towards either.

Cons

It's a very large company with a high turnover rate in some positions simply because several places employ students at the lower levels. If you stick around for awhile, you'll get to know upper management and they'll get to know you. With it being a larger company, I feel as though in some instances there can be a break down in communication between communities and between upper management as well.

Listen to your employees who are out there doing the grunt work and the face to face meetings with customers. They live through and see the changing climates in the industry and are the best resource when making decisions.