DTS Reviews

DTS Chairman & CEO Jon E. Kirchner
Jon E. Kirchner

1. Small company with big company bureaucracy

I worked at DTS full-time

Pros

Innovative technology, smart people, good benefits & perks, cool HQ.

Cons

A number of the engineering execs were brought in from large companies (HP, Motorola, etc.) and brought their bureaucracy with them. Many burdensome, inefficient, and unnecessary processes to get anything done which has the effect of slowing down development. Very top heavy at the VP level, supervisors up and down the org often have no more than 2 or 3 direct reports. The CEO's a finance guy and as such the focus is on short term stock performance.

Advice to Management

Work smarter, not harder.

2. Great team and interview process!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great office location, very friendly people, cool music vibe.

Cons

Ask me in 6 months.

Advice to Management

Free snack in the vending machines wouldn't hurt.

3. Eh...

Current Employee - Customer Service in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Company. Its better than McDonalds.

Cons

Cliquish. Not as bad as WalMart.

5. excessive overhead, sluggish process, low productivity...

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer

I worked at DTS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice facility, decent compensation package (Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401K, health insurance...)

Cons

Small company, but operates like a very large one (excessive overhead, sluggish process, low productivity...). Market is small and competitive. More than 10 years after going public, the stock price is still in the IPO territory. Some senior managers occupy critical positions without proven management records (insufficient domain knowledge, poor people skills…). They often fail to value subordinates' potential, do understand projects' scopes and necessary resources. High turnover rate. A few can leave with dignity.

Advice to Management

Establish a more objective review process. Not only count the number of projects accomplished, but also look into the significance of each project and the amount of resources consumed. Minimize cost cutting if it reduces employee morale.

6. Good

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at DTS as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

good learning and knowledge sharing

Cons

too much work and pressue

Advice to Management

share the workload

Very frustrating to work here

Former Employee - Site Manager
    Former Employee - Site Manager

I worked at DTS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very incompetent, without capability to tell good from bad, so if you are good people pleaser, and prepared to be obedient to your boss, it's a great place to work: you don't have to do your best, very relaxing if you always listen to your boss and never contribute your own ideas...

Cons

Very bad leadership, too many unqualified, dishonest directors and VPs. None of them really know how to make a successful product (guess in how many years this company hasn't rolled out really new products?). Traditional codec tech and Blue-ray are still their mainstage, but obviously blue-ray is going down. The company does not care about the development and the long term career path of its employees at all. the leadership do not really do anything meaningful, but play politics.

Advice to Management

Talented people have been leaving this company continuously. Evaluate the resource controlled by and the outcome of the key directors/VPs and their work quality to identify who are actually abusing company resource but achieving nothing. It's not complicated, just use your common sense to do it. Change the leadership ASAP, crisis has been on the way, perhaps it has been too late. Pls revisit my comments here in two years.

8. High end tech company.

Former Employee - Product in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Product in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creative folks across all departments. Audio technology that "rocks". Great sound rooms for listening pleasure. Always have the latest Audio/Visual surround sound systems to test. Its great to be in the testing lab with high end Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, you name it, they have it.

Cons

Competitive market with the likes of Dolby. Always needing to re-invent to stay fresh in the audio space

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

9. Evolving with Potential

Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DTS is an organization that continues to evolve as part of a very aggressive business strategy. Employees are smart, creative, friendly. I have the opportunity to provide value and contribute- very important to me for job satisfaction. Management, for the most part, is willing to listen to different perspectives, and make decisions accordingly. I enjoy collaborating with a number of employees across the organization, as well. There is acknowledgement and effort to improve skills, processes and strategies for long term business success - a healthy sign that we know we need to continuously improve for DTS to win.

Cons

Change has been ongoing since I joined DTS. And not all of the change has been managed thoughtfully with consideration to impact beyond the immediate goals. Though improving, I would also like more candid communication and greater clarity regarding direction.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the basics of continuous improvement.
    Put concerted effort into improving management capability.
    Do a better job managing the change.

10. Many Global Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an exciting work environment as we touch just about every consumer-facing device around the world. Success and performance is rewarded, recognized and communicated to the rest of the employees on a regular basis. I've watched a lot of people move to the top of the organization in just a few years--pretty cool to watch. Lastly, this is a company that any employee can walk into the CEO's office and a have a conversation.

Cons

In some positions there is worldwide travel requirements so depending on if you like that or not, be prepared. Technology moves fast and we need to keep up.

Advice to Management

We have a lot of employee monthly events at HQ but I think it would be great if we do more off-site events like Beach Day, a Dodger Game, volunteering for local community events as a team, etc..

Poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company with a strong vision

Cons

Confusing company to work for. Poor management, lacks leadership and lacks communication.

Advice to Management

Disappointing to see that hard working employees who work hard, are proactive in their work ethic, and want to grow the business are eliminated while others who have no business being managers or leaders, are retained and probably promoted.