DTS

DTS Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

DTS Chairman & CEO Jon E. Kirchner

Jon E. Kirchner

Very frustrating to work here

Site Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLeadership is very incompetent, without capability to tell good from bad, so if you are good people pleaser, and prepared to be obedient to your boss, it's a great place to work: you don't have to do your best, very relaxing if you always listen to your boss and never contribute your own ideas...

ConsVery bad leadership, too many unqualified, dishonest directors and VPs. None of them really know how to make a successful product (guess in how many years this company hasn't rolled out really new products?). Traditional codec tech and Blue-ray are still their mainstage, but obviously blue-ray is going down. The company does not care about the development and the long term career path of its employees at all. the leadership do not really do anything meaningful, but play politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalented people have been leaving this company continuously. Evaluate the resource controlled by and the outcome of the key directors/VPs and their work quality to identify who are actually abusing company resource but achieving nothing. It's not complicated, just use your common sense to do it. Change the leadership ASAP, crisis has been on the way, perhaps it has been too late. Pls revisit my comments here in two years.

High end tech company.

Product (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsCreative folks across all departments. Audio technology that "rocks". Great sound rooms for listening pleasure. Always have the latest Audio/Visual surround sound systems to test. Its great to be in the testing lab with high end Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, you name it, they have it.

ConsCompetitive market with the likes of Dolby. Always needing to re-invent to stay fresh in the audio space

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!!

Evolving with Potential

Director (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsDTS is an organization that continues to evolve as part of a very aggressive business strategy. Employees are smart, creative, friendly. I have the opportunity to provide value and contribute- very important to me for job satisfaction. Management, for the most part, is willing to listen to different perspectives, and make decisions accordingly. I enjoy collaborating with a number of employees across the organization, as well. There is acknowledgement and effort to improve skills, processes and strategies for long term business success - a healthy sign that we know we need to continuously improve for DTS to win.

ConsChange has been ongoing since I joined DTS. And not all of the change has been managed thoughtfully with consideration to impact beyond the immediate goals. Though improving, I would also like more candid communication and greater clarity regarding direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the basics of continuous improvement.
    Put concerted effort into improving management capability.
    Do a better job managing the change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many Global Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsIt's an exciting work environment as we touch just about every consumer-facing device around the world. Success and performance is rewarded, recognized and communicated to the rest of the employees on a regular basis. I've watched a lot of people move to the top of the organization in just a few years--pretty cool to watch. Lastly, this is a company that any employee can walk into the CEO's office and a have a conversation.

ConsIn some positions there is worldwide travel requirements so depending on if you like that or not, be prepared. Technology moves fast and we need to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a lot of employee monthly events at HQ but I think it would be great if we do more off-site events like Beach Day, a Dodger Game, volunteering for local community events as a team, etc..

Poor management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsGreat company with a strong vision

ConsConfusing company to work for. Poor management, lacks leadership and lacks communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisappointing to see that hard working employees who work hard, are proactive in their work ethic, and want to grow the business are eliminated while others who have no business being managers or leaders, are retained and probably promoted.

Very much run by cliques, and not at all honest.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Twyford, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsMeeting customers is great, they appreciate the sound quality. Poor quality mastering equipment gives the challenges for making valuable improvements.

ConsNo matter what great feats you achieve, if one or more of the high ups doesn't like you, you're treated like the cleaning staff. Extremely dishonest managers and illegal firings are the rule of law here, covered by a pay-out to sign away your rights.
    There was a lot of back-biting and scheming apparent and several two-faced managers you wouldn't want to share anything with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about caring, sharing, loving, respecting, make an effort to implement it.

DTS technology is amazing. Career opportunities are limited.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat technology. HQ facility is very nice, majority of employees are kind and helpful, benefits are good.

ConsCareer opportunities are limited. Employees are not held accountable. Good people leave. Remains to be seen if the mgmt team can turn their opportunity into a profitable future.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it happen.

DTS is a great employer

ProsExtremely employee focused with a strong emphasis on team work

ConsNot any cons to mention

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great Employee-Centric Company

(Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsCutting edge technology, employee-centric company, great corporate culture, excellent benefits, opportunities for professional career development and continuing education. A great place to join a progressive company for your career. Good employee communications portal and delivery of information.

ConsIn my tenure to date, none come to mind

Take the good with the bad

ProsTerrific facilities, benefits and ideals. The company does reward for hard work. Vacation accrual and sick accrual are on par with other small-mid companies. Decent telecommute policy (left to individual managers). Most managers allow for sliding work hours as long as the work is getting done.

ConsIt is impossible to feel like you are contributing to the end goals of the company unless you are a Director or above. The company frequently rewards "favorites" that are fed up the chain by incompetent Directors and VPs and in which the "favorite" has rarely done nothing more than work a couple of late nights. This casts doubt on the work of truly deserving rewardees. Lower level employees typically feel left out. The HR dept is not in touch with most of the employees. Slow to no career growth unless you are one of the boys.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off the second floor once in a while and take a look around!!

Worked for DTS? Contribute to the Community!