DaVita

DaVita Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

DaVita Chairman and CEO Kent J. Thiry

Kent J. Thiry

Pros
  • Good core values if they were followed by leadership(in 30 reviews)

• Can be very understanding and supportive of work-life balance issues(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance doesn't exist unless you don't seem "engaged" in your work(in 29 reviews)

• No 401K match and they seem to be proud of that(in 24 reviews)

Social Workers are leaders and have autonomy and flexibility at DaVita

ProsFlexibility, You make your own schedule for the most part. Don't have to do tons of documentation and don't have to do psychotherapy if you don't want to. Get to see you clients frequently and build strong relationships.

ConsBe prepared to take orders from people who have less education than you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your social worker to do good things not just worry about insurance

DaVita

Coordinator (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBenefits are decent, personal growth if you're determined and people like you.

ConsPreaches work/life balance, but that's almost impossible if you're in management.
    Pay not that great unless you're in management.
    Unrealistic deadlines.
    Some IT systems are horrible.

Community First

Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsThere are limitless possibilities for training, work life balance and advancement

ConsLong hours but worth every minute

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Difficult company to work for - oh yeah that's right we're a "village."

ProsThere are some very nice co-workers. There is not alot of room for advancement. Like the learning management system.

ConsEveryone off to "villagewide" this week - most likely costs millions of dollars, yet merit raises 1-1.5%. Management middle and above are slaves to the "metrics." Work life balance is a joke. The company has great core values and they are posted everywhere - unfortunately managers do not "walk their talk."

Advice to Senior ManagementHire folks who "know" the business of dialysis.

I'm sure it's great if you are a Redwoods Graduate.

Pros- People generally want to do the right/good thing for the patients
    - People work hard to meet goals
    - Decent bonus structure (for office teammates it is a joke)

Cons- Management is terrible (director level)
    - Leadership is nonexistent in middle management levels
    - Rarely promote within for management positions (manager, director and above) without being a Redwood graduate or from a consulting company
    - Work/Life balance doesn't exist unless you don't seem "engaged" in your work
    - No 401k match
    - HR is terrible (no way to provide a review for direct management? what is this, 1990?)
    - Office teammates seem to waste a lot of time and money traveling
    - Favoritism is the name of the game
    - Lots of interesting "affairs" at the higher levels

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, Hire managers that are leaders and not just people that play with numbers, promote women

It's all a PR campaign

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat location, beautiful building, smart coworkers ("teammates")

ConsDaVita underpays compared to comparable jobs in the market and they're losing employees. While accolades suggest otherwise, if you're below VP and you've been in the Village for more than a year, there's a lot of grumbling and discontentment. There's also a huge business school culture (every phone call need be accompanied with a powerpoint presented with b-school zingers).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cutting our the red tape. Hiring Sr. leaders who are effective at managing is good, but you need to limit hiring of leadership who has no experience, desire, or ability to work with a team or manage down. On my team, the two VP leaders are the individuals for whom the core values were palpably absent. This was disappointing and I left for a smaller organization where I could find and collaborate with teammates who actually fit the core values you preach: accountability, team, fulfillment, integrity, fun, continuous improvement.

Fast Growth and Corporate Culture Disconnect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCorperate leadership is visible, truely invested in the company, the culture and its employees. Wonderful resources for education and support for young career minded individuals.

ConsInformation technology is layered and not user friendly. There appears to be a disconnect between corporate culture that is communicated and the application and translation in the different regions and divisions of the company. It can ring "empty", seem false and parrotted by midlevel management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the IT with ease of use for the employees both at the clinic and management level.. The internal website would be the best place to start.
    With all of the aquisitions over the last five years, regional management needs to look more carefully at the existing resources and experiance of aquired employees. Decision making seemed impulsive and not carefully examined.

Wonderful

Assistant Facility Administrator (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsI love my job and what im doing with the team and the patients

ConsOpportunities in my immediate area are limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold people accountable and invest more time in the centers and deep dive into issues and get to know the teams.

Mission & Values vs. The Almighty Dollar

ProsTeammates in the clinics care deeply about the patients and their well being. Clinic managers and higher are fairly compensated. Advancement opportunities are there if you can drink the kool-aid.

ConsWork life balance is nonexistent. There is a culture of negativity and bullying from local and senior leadership. Days are filled with constant fire drills, back to back mandatory conference calls and demeaning emails. As a clinic manager we are touted to be the CEO of our facility, yet every moment of our 12-14 hour day is micromanaged. DaVita pushes it's initiatives on its patients and teammates under the guise of doing what is best for the patient. Lately it feels like the real motive to the constant barrage of initiatives is a fatter bonus for leadership. Pay for PCT's, AA's and SW's is low. In fact, DaVita benefits as a whole are lacking and do not compete with local heath care providers or Fresenius. If lucky, teammates will receive a 1.5% raise this year while leadership is receives annual bonuses greater than the salary of a PCT. Leadership has very little connection to the facilities and it seems that clinical skills are undervalued. I did not get into the nursing field to spend my days completing spreadsheets, hours of mandatory calls and be accused of not caring about the patients. Everything we do in the clinic is for the patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the experience and knowledge that the clinical team has. Stop making every single thing mandatory and limit the number of fire drills. Are you approachable? When was the last time you spend time in a center talking to the team and patients? Every year at national meetings it is apparent there is a wide gap between DaVita in the Midwest and other parts of the country. Are you truly living the Mission & Values you are preaching to us?

Solid growth company, racing to get ahead of the healthcare cost curve

Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsUnlimited opportunities and business challenges
    Merit based promotion
    Getting better at differentiating compensation for outstanding performers

ConsDemanding, but fulfilling
    Strong analytic bench, but teams tend to be understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue differentiating compensation for consistently high performers

Worked for DaVita? Contribute to the Community!