www.davita.com

Updated November 19, 2014
3.1

DaVita Chairman and CEO Kent J. Thiry
Kent J. Thiry

Pros
  • Training is awesome and the Core Values are truly alive within the company (in 40 reviews)

• There are limitless possibilities for training, work life balance and advancement (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance doesn't exist unless you don't seem "engaged" in your work (in 31 reviews)

• No 401k match, raises are limited but employees enjoy helping patients (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's been good so far- excellent training.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Renal Dialysis in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse (RN), Renal Dialysis in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent training is offered with this company.

Cons

Pay could be better for the workload and responsibility.

Perhaps consider improving pay to improve retention.

Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - LVN in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were none. Horrible company.

Cons

I agree with all the neg reviews. Everyone was overworked, they bullied the techs, when the flow fell behind and the patients were there late the manager refused to pay OT instead wrote up the employees that stayed. They used me as a tech for 3 mos then told me I passed the test and I could function as a LVN now. Nothing but game playing by manager and clinical coordinator going along with it because she was afraid of manager. Low moral, lots of gossip, when on the floor you are watched like you are a prisoner. Must keep busy even if there's a 10-15 min lull which was rare. Patients scheduled every 15 min so constant raking off and turning over. I think you're prob treated better working in a factory. Got a call my father was dying unexpectedly. I flew out of state that day to say goodbye. I was 1700 mi away. I didn't make it in time. Beginning the next day, the manager had the secretary call me 4-6 times a day to ask if I would be working the next day. I was harassed daily and I told them I was going to stay for funeral and help mom for the week. Phone calls continued. Before I even returned I was told I was terminated for being a no show. Just an example of how much they care. All about the dollar and their own bonuses and promotions. Manager made all licensed staff go to meetings on Sundays. These started at 10am at diff restaurants. They lasted 2-3 hours min. Instead of spending time with our families we were sitting listening to a lot of company BS. Some even missed going to church with their children. They did me a favor terminating me. I could not have been more elated to get away from their brainwashing, mind controlling, fake, bullying culture,

I'd cross the bridge but have to find a life boat and bail out!

Former Employee - Tech in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Tech in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any, really!

Cons

Benefit sucks - No 401K matching, and huge co-pay for healthcare. It is ironic for a healthcare partners company
    Technology - Very out dated programming language and database platform. The software\database architect and coding is a joke that you don't want to put it down in your resume.
    Management - Middle mgmt abused their power and\or favoritism. At least one of the manager is accused and fire of sexual harassment.

Hire qualified person for the job, and look after your employees. Your core value and work-life balance is not just a slogan.

Acute Dialysis Nurse

Current Employee - Acute Dialysis Nurse in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Acute Dialysis Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love being able to work one on one with the patients. You have full autonomy with your day and your patient. Start times can be flexible. No management on site and they pretty much leave you alone as long as the job gets done correctly.

Cons

The day can be very long. When you come in the morning you have no ide how long your day will be.

Great Teamwork and On-the Job Learning. Poor Life-Balance (IT perspective)

Former Employee - IT Technical Professional in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - IT Technical Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

DaVita is a great healthcare company with a nice culture; it pays well too. Benefits are ok, but not 5-star; being a Fortune-500 they could do better.
    Co-workers: Called 'Teammates' in Davita, I had the honor to work with some of the best teams I ever worked with, learnt a lot from them, people don't slack in this company, great people, great talent.

Cons

I.T. staff frequently has to work extra hours on nights and weekends that are never recovered later, thay are not offered time-off later in exchange, nor compensated monetarily. On the long run you end up accumulating hundreds of worked overtime hours that will never be compensated. There are other places where you can normally take a day or two off (without it having to come out of your PTO pool) to offset the night/weekend support times. In DaVita, that is not practice, you're expected to be available the next day after night changes to provide support, and then continue working your work week as if nothing, except perhaps for a thank you, or a free lunch. If you want to take time off you have to request it from your PTO pool and burn your vacation time.
    Not many opportunities are given for skilled IT technical professionals to grow his/her career (get promoted) if they wanted too; Tech professionals like: Developers; Sys.Admins; Hw. Engineers, Net. Engineers, etc. will commonly get stuck in their level as these are difficult to replace and the company has no real policies for mentorship/personnel development rotation in the I.T. areas.

In addition to the ovious "Cons" issues cited above, watch out for the way-too-frequent re-orgs in I.T., Upper management seem to never get it right no matter how many they do. Then why so much team disruption with re-orgs? That process is obviously not working, or are re-orgs being used as excuses for staff cuts, or for targeting of specific positions for displacement?. It is really pathetic having to go through cycles of "team-building" excercises with your team, to then see you loose one or two valuable teammates from your team during the next re-org, after your team had already started to work well; and then arrange for another "team-building" event to pick up the broken plates. It doesn't really make anyone feel good about it, and it says a lot about how little the company cares for the true development and empowerment of his skilled labor force.

Stop treating your middle IT management as mere paper pushers, simple "approvers" of requests and procurers of procedures (ie. puppets); really empower your middle IT management for full decision making about how they make up their teams and how many people they need to have on the team to provide an adequate level of service. Perhaps a different approach in this area will really make an impact on how well I.T. services are perceived/ranked by the rest of the company.

Values only superficial

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were some great people working there who truly believed in the stated values

Cons

With several acquisitions and growth Senior Management no longer pays any attention to their stated values. It is superficial. Disorganized company that wants to be better than they are but are arrogant to the point that they won't listen to anyone about how to be better. Not people oriented in the lower to mid management ranks.

Finance

Former Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

When DaVita lives up to its values (helping employees in need, volunteer work, etc.), it is a great example of what a company should do. Because the work is hard and hours many, you can build some great skills.

Cons

Pay is middle of the road. Not a place to spend entire career. Insurance companies are paying less for care so it will be tough sledding. Redwood program brings in young MBAs who are promoted to roles without understanding the impact it has on morale of others. Many Redwoods have negative impact but still remain with company. To non-Redwoods, advancement does not seem possible. Cliques, cliques, cliques.

No 401K match. They keep telling people that there is no reason and profit sharing is better. Still, people ask, so the message is not getting out nor well received.

Re-evaluate the need for Villagewide.

Think long and hard about the benefits vs downsides of Redwood program.

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are decent, personal growth if you're determined and people like you.

Cons

Preaches work/life balance, but that's almost impossible if you're in management.
    Pay not that great unless you're in management.
    Unrealistic deadlines.
    Some IT systems are horrible.

Interesting, lots of responsibility but Davita was still figuring out how run like a sophisticated professional company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dedicated people, great values, interesting work.

Cons

At the time culture seemed strongly dedicated to values but they organization had trouble living up to all of them. Very disorganized in some corporate practices as they were trying to still run parts of Human Resources for a 25000 employee company as if they were a 1500 employee company. Sr. Management expected people to literally be on call and work 7 days a week, even Sunday evenings. Salaries very low in relation to scope of responsibilities for those in management. Company CEO didn't believe in salary surveys to evaluate market benchmarks.

Davita Healthcare Partners

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time

Pros

Intellectually stimulating, fast passed, tons to learn.

Cons

Large portion of total comp in bonus and other pay… Low salaries...