DaVita Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

DaVita Chairman and CEO Kent J. Thiry
Kent J. Thiry

Pros
  • Good core values if they were followed by leadership (in 30 reviews)

• Can be very understanding and supportive of work-life balance issues (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance doesn't exist unless you don't seem "engaged" in your work (in 29 reviews)

• No 401K match and they seem to be proud of that (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company...just not the job for me

Current Employee - Dialysis Nurse RN  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Dialysis Nurse RN in Memphis, TN

I have been working at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and everyone seems to work well together

Cons

Nurses are somewhat over worked

Being a for profit company, i understand the need to keep the staffing ratios high. However, it becomes difficult to keep nurses when they are constantly asked to put their patients and themselves in unsafe situations.

Rewarding

Current Employee - Pct  in  Arcadia, FL
    Current Employee - Pct in Arcadia, FL

I have been working at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

The patients and the reason why we do what we do. My co workers are awesome

Cons

The pay starting. Raises. The more you know you should be able to earn more. Overall I enjoy working here

Really look at what we do everyday. Pct work extremely hard. We are with the patients more than anyone else

Just ok

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician

I worked at DaVita full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice patients, core values are good idea,

Cons

long hours, short staffed, management has favorites

Get better facility managers that don't play games or favorites

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential growth through fast-paced, make it or break you kind of work pace.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Davita offers good paid time off and mediocre benefits (medical, dental, vision, retirement). The company usually has a structure to help you get training and grow in the field. The income is at an industry average.

Cons

After working at numerous facilities in Southern California, Davita seems to have a systemic problem of squeezing the most out each employee. They really try to get the most out you for the wage paid. Raises suck at the lower level of the totem pole. The typical raise is 2% per year if you have a good review.

Actually care about the people under you. We are ppl, not expendable, heartless, lifeless machines. Maybe KT (the CEO) needs to go on Undercover Bosses to see the everyday struggles, stress and hectic-ness at a facility that is regularly at capacity.

Overall positive experience. Good staff, great patients, average management.

Current Employee - Charge Nurse  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Charge Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is a great sense of teamwork and pulling together to get the job done. Training programs are very good and the company is very supportive of continuing education, eg, college.

Cons

Pay and raises are at or below average. Sometimes an employee has to"work the system" to get more than a standard 2% annual raise. Company, like most, is very productivity oriented. Sometimes feels patient care is sacrificed. Workdays can be very long.

Nurses need more networking opportunities. Days are too long (14 -16 hours) to provide optimal patient care. Although this is an industry issue.

Don't be blinded...

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We have great core values and DaVita likes to feed you a lot.

Cons

I have worked for DaVita for six years and have had 4 different managers. My merits don't even come close to the cost of livivng increase and bennifit increase every year. Hour are up and down depending on census, but each clinic is different. All the AA do different things. I have even had to train someone with no experience in dialysis and they made a dollor more an hour then I did with 5 years experience. There is no pay scale, but are title levels and if you increase your title level it does not mean it will increase your pay. Always under staffed and over worked. RN's working open to close 3 or 4 full shifts, 18 hour days. Lack of leadership in clinic and multiple complaints of Facility Administrator by TM's and patients not being addressed.

Consider doing a better job of researching resumes for Facility Managers. Don't just hire because they are the only ones that have applied. Stop promoting PCT with degrees in non related areas to Facility Administrator and who have had multiple complaints by patients, still trying to figure out that one. Don't consider our bonus as part of out pay, especially when your clinic goes 2 years with out due to poor leadership. AA's are very important to the clinic and most patients think we are the ones running the place. The AA's are the one's who have a wide scope of the Village and we have training in several areas and knowledge in, RX, insurance,admissions, transportation options, resources, company programs and more.

Great Teamwork and On-the Job Learning. Poor Life-Balance (IT perspective)

Former Employee - IT Technical Professional  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - IT Technical Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DaVita full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

DaVita is a great healthcare company with a nice culture; it pays well too. Benefits are ok, but not 5-star; being a Fortune-500 they could do better.
    Co-workers: Called 'Teammates' in Davita, I had the honor to work with some of the best teams I ever worked with, learnt a lot from them, people don't slack in this company, great people, great talent.

Cons

I.T. staff frequently has to work extra hours on nights and weekends that are never recovered later, thay are not offered time-off later in exchange, nor compensated monetarily. On the long run you end up accumulating hundreds of worked overtime hours that will never be compensated. There are other places where you can normally take a day or two off (without it having to come out of your PTO pool) to offset the night/weekend support times. In DaVita, that is not practice, you're expected to be available the next day after night changes to provide support, and then continue working your work week as if nothing, except perhaps for a thank you, or a free lunch. If you want to take time off you have to request it from your PTO pool and burn your vacation time.
    Not many opportunities are given for skilled IT technical professionals to grow his/her career (get promoted) if they wanted too; Tech professionals like: Developers; Sys.Admins; Hw. Engineers, Net. Engineers, etc. will commonly get stuck in their level as these are difficult to replace and the company has no real policies for mentorship/personnel development rotation in the I.T. areas.

In addition to the ovious "Cons" issues cited above, watch out for the way-too-frequent re-orgs in I.T., Upper management seem to never get it right no matter how many they do. Then why so much team disruption with re-orgs? That process is obviously not working, or are re-orgs being used as excuses for staff cuts, or for targeting of specific positions for displacement?. It is really pathetic having to go through cycles of "team-building" excercises with your team, to then see you loose one or two valuable teammates from your team during the next re-org, after your team had already started to work well; and then arrange for another "team-building" event to pick up the broken plates. It doesn't really make anyone feel good about it, and it says a lot about how little the company cares for the true development and empowerment of his skilled labor force.

Stop treating your middle IT management as mere paper pushers, simple "approvers" of requests and procurers of procedures (ie. puppets); really empower your middle IT management for full decision making about how they make up their teams and how many people they need to have on the team to provide an adequate level of service. Perhaps a different approach in this area will really make an impact on how well I.T. services are perceived/ranked by the rest of the company.

Acute Dialysis Nurse

Current Employee - Acute Dialysis Nurse  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Acute Dialysis Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love being able to work one on one with the patients. You have full autonomy with your day and your patient. Start times can be flexible. No management on site and they pretty much leave you alone as long as the job gets done correctly.

Cons

The day can be very long. When you come in the morning you have no ide how long your day will be.

Long time teammate

I have been working at DaVita part-time

Pros

Every company has their pros and cons. Personally, I am a Davita fan. I worked in a Fresenius clinic as a travel nurse. After being there, I knew that I would NEVER work for Fresenius. Just the way that they treated their staff. There were no permanent nurses on staff, travel nurses only. That spoke volumes to me. I will gladly continue to drink the Davita Kool-Aid.

Cons

Sometimes patient to staff ratio can be hectic and seem that it is unfair, but I think that is true for any healthcare situation these days.

No complaints at this point.

Excellent experience and great people.

Current Employee - Director  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, work hard / play hard culture.

Cons

Loose organizational structure makes it difficult to understand who is responsible for what without talking to many people.

Worked for DaVita? Contribute to the Community!