DaVita

DaVita Reviews in Tacoma, WA

Updated Jun 23, 2014

DaVita Chairman and CEO Kent J. Thiry

Kent J. Thiry

Pros
  • Good core values if they were followed by leadership (in 30 reviews)

• Can be very understanding and supportive of work-life balance issues (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance doesn't exist unless you don't seem "engaged" in your work (in 29 reviews)

• No 401K match and they seem to be proud of that (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights
36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsDaVita has a great culture that is conducive to a safe and comfortable workplace. They have core values that they actually seem to care about and follow, and the organization also encourages its teammates to excel.

ConsThe pay could be better, but the benefits and compensation package works to make up for that shortcoming.

Fun

Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsFun enjoyable place to work.

ConsManagement doesn't always take responsibility for things they asked you to do

New; Our; Special - No Brag just Fact

Supervisor (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGreat work environment; culture of DaVita supports community and teammate both; room for advancement if you put in the hard work; tons of people who will help you grow if you ask; Core Values are really core values - Service Excellence; Integrity ; Team; Continuous Improvement; Fulfillment; Fun

ConsLower pay than industry but the work environment makes up for it. no 401k matching

Advice to Senior Managementwork life Balance needs to be a larger part of the job

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strange and awkward.....

Process Analyst (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsI worked in “Team Tesla”, which is a process improvement group within the company. For the most part, coworkers were friendly, engaged, enthusiastic, and intelligent. Standard benefits and employee assistance, adoption assistance offered as well as tuition reimbursement. There were lots of opportunities for community service and company-sponsored outings. Commuter benefits.

The culture was certainly engaging and motivated for success. Plenty of opportunities for personal and professional growth. Lots and lots and lots of training for those new to the industry!

ConsWith the above pro’s in mind, I would seriously caution anyone desiring a role in project management or business analysis mainly based on the extreme micro-management of some of the leadership within ROPS as well as Tesla. Let me say that I entered this company with a positive attitude (they served Fat Tire at a beer raffle my third day – I intended to retire from DaVita at that point….). Though, after about five to six months into my employment, that positive attitude was slowly grinded to a screeching halt due to inadequate leadership, and very antiquated processes. Managers were promoted not on how well they could actually cultivate a team, but rather on how well they managed “tasks”. A HUGE difference between the two! Very, very low pay as compared to other companies out there. No 401k matching, expensive benefits. Mandatory travel over 50% of the time. The company wastes so much on travel…..many “corporate” workshops that achieve very little to better serve patients. Too much focus on metrics, tasks, and politics as compared to project strategy or holistic program management. Lots of redundant work within the same project. Attended the “academy” which must cost the company huge sums of money but they pay Patient Care Techs so low that these people can’t even afford to put money towards a 401k??? Horrible!

The company tried to act like an IT shop but sorely needs more experienced management to be able to harness the right talent to go more towards that direction.

Very cliqueish culture - reminded of my nerd days in high school. If you didn't act like others and get into all of the rah-rah antics, you were seen as an outcast.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to begin understanding how important it is to cultivate LEADERS, not MANAGERS. Leaders help cultivate mission, strategy, and have a heavy influence on morale. Trust your people, and if they don’t fit into your “box” then widen your perspective and learn to deal with various personalities and attitudes. Don’t hinder innovation but embrace good ideas when they’re presented. Give every one a 10% raise and lower upper management’s (this means you KT!) by 50%! Without people, there would be no one to run your business……

Bottom line: put more focus on results versus presentation!

Upper Management only knows how to say "NO"

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGreat company culture. A lot of opportunities to volunteer in the local community. Can be very understanding and supportive of work-life balance issues. Not uncommon for a team to schedule outings or "fun days". Executive level management are great leaders and inspiring. Lastly, there are a lot of exciting things happening in health care and DaVita is trying to be innovative.

ConsAs a company benefits are so-so, and pay is underwhelming. Mid-level management (Directors and VP) are terrible.

I worked in Revenue Operations and unless you were someone's favorite, there was small hope for promotion. They tended to hire outside for senior positions; and these tend to be people management knows personally (former colleagues, college roommates) or young good looking people with advanced degrees but no experience.

This creates a lot of insecure managers who can be desperate for credit or a "win". The insecurity and inexperience creates a culture where manages cling stubbornly to their own ideas; often with poor results. It is hard to convince them to change their minds. Any change management does make is often on the advice of consultants or college graduates students working as interns; instead of long time employees. This has created a culture of saying "no" to ideas and no development opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and promote from within. Create leaders that people want to follow and work for, instead of people who look good on paper. That will help with the high turnover.

Don't waste your time....

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsAmazing co workers. Flexible work hours. Built great friendships. Good core values if they were followed by leadership.

ConsExtremely low pay. Overly micro managed. Horrible leadership and lack of leadership skills. Popularity and brown nosing gets you ahead in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the old out and bring in new experienced management.

Good Company

Staff Accountant II (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsWorking environment is pretty good

ConsNot much personal growth in the workplace

Advice to Senior ManagementBe considerate to all employees

If you can turn into pod person and totally just keep jumping the hoops,,,,

Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGood core values, mission statement. After the almost 10 yr career at DaVita, it is hard for me to to list anymore, except, parking after waiting 5 yrs. benefits aren't to bad. An if you like to eat , they do that a lot, but more healthier now a days.

ConsPOLITICS, POLITICS, POLITICS, Your teammates are really not your friend in any way, will coem down to your enemy someway. So watch your back at all times. Company used to be fun, full of life an everyone enjoyed coming to work. Then after countless re-org's, everyone in all CBO's started to lose their spirit for work and being there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWasn't final reason for parting from the company. After building my career with them, and going through countless re-organizations. I could no longer take the berating of my superior. When she didn't see all I was taking on , with other health issue's also present. I finally just gave up in a way.

Great place to work

Cash Posting (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsThe company promotes work/life balance

ConsSalaries were a little low during the time I worked there.

low pay, keep looking

Credit Balance Specialist (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsFree food and parties instead of bonuses,

Conscompany pays lowest wages or the job title, and high turnover, very hard to get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementPay median wages to your workers! With revenue going strong, please share it with your workers. Yes you do offer the Triple crown award, but that is based on performance and management sets standards not workers.

Worked for DaVita? Contribute to the Community!