Daedalus Books

Updated September 21, 2014
4.1

Robin Moody
1 Rating

Daedalus is a great place to work.

I have been working at Daedalus Books

Pros

I've been working at Daedalus for over 10 years and although certain aspects of the company have changed during that time, (for the better), the main focus to offer excellent quality merchandise at steeply discounted prices remains. In the call center, you will be given the opportunity to provide the highest level of customer service in a casual but professional environment. The staff is friendly and positive. You are given all the help you need, from the management, to be successful. Good work is appreciated and rewarded. Reading the books we carry and listening to CDs are great perks. The starting pay and the training you will receive are excellent. There is a great diversity of people employed at Daedalus.

Cons

I don't particularly like florescent lighting and Daedalus uses florescent lights in the call center. However, there are large windows that help to off set the indoor lighting.

Thank you for working to ensure a work environment that one can be proud of being a part.

Fantastic Opportunity

I have been working at Daedalus Books full-time for more than a year

Pros

I stumbled upon Daedalus quite by accident, but am very happy that I did. My coworkers are a pleasure to work with. My managers are kind and knowledgeable. The work is challenging enough to keep me engaged. The atmosphere is positive, and hard work is acknowledged.

If you love books, music, and videos, this is the right place to be as you are exposed to all three daily. Many times I spend my lunch breaks in the bookstore instead of going elsewhere.

Overall, the pay is generous, the breaks are paid, overtime is an option, and you will feel at home right away.

I highly recommend this company as a great place to work.

Cons

As with all customer service oriented positions, there may be some challenging customers or situations. However, to me this is not discouraging.

I have always admired your business model and the positive way you treat employees.

A stable and rewarding job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Daedalus Books full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who work at Daedalus are friendly and welcoming, as well as intelligent and helpful. Benefits for working at Daedalus include a wonderful discount on our merchandise, paid breaks, an above average starting pay rate, and the ability to read books and listen to music during slow periods. The entire staff is very supportive and supervisors are eager to assist with any problems or issues encountered. Being an inbound call center, almost all of the customers who contact us are polite and cheerful.

Cons

The occasional irate customer will call and make for an uncomfortable phone conversation. One might comment that the nature of the work can become monotonous since there is the data-entry aspect of the job.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate your efforts to make Daedalus a fair and enjoyable place to hold a job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still here after 5 years...

I have been working at Daedalus Books full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxing atmosphere, friendly coworkers, supportive management, and the vast inventory of books we are encouraged/required to read is definitely a perk and keeps the mind ticking.

Cons

It's a desk job, the fact that most of the day is spent sitting in a cubicle can be trying at times. Sometimes after a long day when I leave my cubicle, I feel like I've just stepped off of an airplane after a red eye. I always try to walk around on my (paid) break, the grounds around the building are pretty and welcoming for stretching the legs.

I think a seasonal retreat or day trip with the staff could keep the morale and the workplace camaraderie on a consistent upswing.

Wonderful place to work!

I have been working at Daedalus Books

Pros

Daedalus Books has a very positive and friendly atmosphere, and you are set up to succeed from the very beginning. Training is very good, and the managers will work with you if you need help. Starting salary for new workers is reasonably high for a retail job and you receive paid breaks. For employees, merchandise is very heavily discounted and sometimes free. Also, part of your job is to become familiar with the books and music from the catalogs, so you'll spend a good portion of the workday enjoying a nice book or two.

Cons

Older operating system has a bit of a learning curve.

A more streamlined operating system would make certain tasks easier to perform. However, this is a grand undertaking due to the labor and cost, so it may not be the most practical decision.

A flexible and encouraging place to work part time

I have been working at Daedalus Books part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love to read and talk about books, and this is the perfect place to share that interest with customers. The management is encouraging, supportive, and flexible with my schedule. The people who work here are super nice. If you are detail oriented and accurate with data entry, and truly enjoy helping people over the phone, this call center is the perfect place for part time employment. I feel that my work is really appreciated.

Cons

I wish I didn't have to work every other Saturday, but that is a requirement for part time staff.

As another reviewer already stated, I'm not sure what advice I could give a company that has stayed in business for more than 30 years. I think they must know what they're doing.

A Good Job

I have been working at Daedalus Books full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff and supervisors are friendly. The work itself, while not difficult, is not mind-numbingly easy either. Daedalus Books has a nice small business feel. The starting pay is good for retail and there is room for advancement.

Cons

You will work in a cubicle. No one WANTS to work in a cubicle. You will rapidly accumulate too many books for your small apartment. The coffee is bad but you will drink it anyway, so who is really to blame?

It's been a singularly fantastic workplace that's supportive and progressive.

I have been working at Daedalus Books full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Admittedly, what drew me to Daedalus was my burgeoning book addiction! Aside from it being a great environment for bibliophiles, it's been a great job. The management has always been both professional and helpful. Simultaneously casual (in dress, mostly) and challenging, Daedalus is perhaps the most flexible and understanding of any company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Obviously, I can only speak on my own experiences. However, I can see how it's not for everyone. As an inbound call center based on catalog sales, it requires more than just a cursory knowledge of various media (books, film, music, etc) and a willingness to provide excellent service to a very diverse customer base. Again, I've always enjoyed it but it's not the perfect fit for everyone.

Not sure what I could add. For such a long-standing and stridently independent bookseller to be successful for 30+ years, they must be doing something(s) right:)
    As a side note, I'm not sure who "French Hill, C.E.O." refers to, but there's never been anyone by that name employed by Daedalus.

Be Careful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, MD

I worked at Daedalus Books part-time for less than a year

Pros

People are generally friendly. For the most part it is a pleasant work atmosphere. Like any customer service job, its easy enough and won't take too long to get used to. They will acknowledge you when they see your good work ethic, punctuality, and good effort on your part.

Cons

Specifically, the Customer Service Specialists, who will train you, will tell you that accuracy is more important than speed when dealing with mail orders and customers over the phone. However, when taking customer phone calls-- that is a lie.

If you are not quick enough with handling the customers on the phone, or if you have excessive "dead air" over the phone, or any other deficiency when taking phone calls; they won't tell you where you need improvement or even let you know there is a problem, they will just fire you.

At least that's what happened with me. I cannot say this will be the case for everyone, but that was certainly my case.

I didn't receive any warnings, or constructive criticism, or even a slight hint that there was even a problem when I took phone calls.

I was there for less than eight days, which was long enough for them to find my replacement. I had no idea that my phone service performance was lacking, as they literally didn't say a single word to me about it. Then I was fired.

I was told by my Call Center Supervisor that he had called me the day before and left a message on my phone right before he stated that I was fired. I'm almost positive that that was a lie. I received zero phone calls that day. His number wasn't in my phone's call log. And I certainly didn't have any type of message from him on my phone.

In addition, they did not tell me what I was earning, as I never asked. And as I'm writing this, I still haven't been paid.

If you have a problem with an employee's performance while taking customer service phone calls, warn them, or tell them where they need to improve, or at least say something. Its better to say something to someone who is willing to learn and work hard for you than to just fire them without a single warning.

Insulted and Irritated

Former Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Columbia, MD

I worked at Daedalus Books part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was excited to meet with the folks at Dadealus. I love books and literature and it seemed like an interesting and comfortable summer job for teachers and students in between work.

Cons

I was kept waiting for an hour before I saw anyone for my interview. When I asked the receptionist how much longer it would be she made a glib comment about "making sure everything was right". I interviewed with the head of HR and the Phone center. Both were friendly enough but they seemed to have an awkward dynamic and the head of HR went on several tangents about Obama and her personal tastes in music. Neither one of them seemed interested in my professional experience as much as they were interested in my personal tastes in music and literature. It didn't seem unreasonable but it didn't seem like the most relevant information to share. The head of HR in general seemed a little unhinged the entire time and her coworker seemed nervous and conciliatory. The interview was for a part-time position so I told them I would get back to them if I didn't hear back from several other companies I'd interviewed with. I called them about a week later and asked if they were still looking for people. The head of HR did a reference check and called to ask me if I could start in a week. I started a week later and trained with the call center manager the first day. They have a very casual dress policy that I was a little put off by but I felt confident in mastering their computer system, which is an antiquated but effective DOS program. I was admittedly nervous about proving to the call center manager that I was a fast learner and there were several times he asked me to slow down. The second day I came in I sat and listened in on inbound calls with a sales rep. Around 12pm the manager gave me some vague excuse about an emergency manager's meeting and told me I could go home early since he wouldn't be able to train me for the rest of the day. I had a bad feeling but let it go. The following morning I received a call from the manager telling me that they would no longer need me to come in. He mentioned a perceived lack of interest and inability to master the company software and a lack of confidence in my abilities to perform effectively. I was irritated and insulted. It had been two days and there was no sort of assessment or explanation that I would be assessed the first two days. There was no sense that they had any intention of hiring someone for a permanent position. I have the distinct feeling that despite the position being advertised as a part-time position they were not interested in training someone who would only be available during the summers.

Maybe I don't understand how part-time employment works but my understanding is that you have a set of employees who work flexible hours without the costs of pension or benefits plans. My suggestion would be for HR to be upfront about the job description, clear about what the call center manager's expectations are and to focus less on personal tastes and more or amenability.

Worked for Daedalus Books? Contribute to the Community!