Daiichi Sankyo

Updated March 4, 2015
3.6

Daiichi Sankyo President, CEO, and Director Joji Nakayama
Joji Nakayama

Pros
  • Great fun activities in holidays, work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits, great management, and decent money-making potential (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus Structure is skewed to benefit large market cities, need more competitive salaries to compete with other companies (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has not respected our work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved Working Here

Former Employee - Compliance in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Compliance in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very laid back, lots of emphasis on employees. Great benefits. Loved how they were very receptive to work from home, summer hours, subsidized lunch room, gym on site. For the most part great people to work with as well.

Cons

Very top heavy organization. Seemed at times that everyone was a manager or above and not too many do-er's within the organization. Even though you may have a director title, odds are no one reports to you and you do the work of a low level manager.

All of the people based policies are great. Keep focusing on your people.

Always felt less than inspired when upper management spoke. Very dry speakers, could use some assistance learning how to speak to crowds and inspire.

A great entry level pharma sales position that taught me the true fundamentals of the game

Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sakes Representative in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Pharmaceutical Sakes Representative in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

The company was great to work for, and my manager was one of a kind. Secondly, the products In sold were the most effecting among a number of same class competitors

Cons

The company put too much stock on a drug that never launched to its expected potential, and the whole company suffered.

Keep doing what younalwaysbdid. Your hands off but intelligent style made for some stellar reps!

Wearing many hats

Former Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues are friendly. Certainly not an antagonistic environment. Great benefits and PTO packages. Convenient location (to highways, airports, etc.) I enjoyed a lot of autonomy and was empowered to make decisions and take risks. Smaller company environment with plenty of opportunities to get to know many people in the organization.

Cons

Senior leadership in the commercial organization was mostly absent, or when present, non-engaged. Engagement was sparked by attention from even higher management. When the perceived "risk" was high, decisions were often made in very closed (and often uninformed) pockets. The perception is that there is an inability to make tough decisions and an intense fear of taking risks...which is only exacerbated by Japanese leadership. Hopefully new president and associated colleagues that he is bringing from previous companies will be able to make headway in changing this dynamic.

Scale back organization for new reality, develop and openly communicate the story for future growth, and throw out the values if you cannot or will not embody them.

A great company to work for.

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Sales
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Sales

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Great pipeline of products. They are a mid size company where you are able to take a leadership role in your territory to further your career potential.

Cons

Like other Pharma companies realignments are inevitable but they are not always thought through to the level of impact it will have to not only you but the physicians as well.

Relationships are key when selling a product to physicians. District managers and reps should have more of a say when realignments take place.

Daiichi was a great company but has recently had difficulty in the marketplace due to generics and late entry to market.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Strong culture from early days still exists but not to the degree it did in earlier years. New CEO and VP sales may have what it takes to turn the company around. Japanese mother company has big interest in US success.

Cons

Too many old (not age, just tenure) senior level people at the top. They don't have the experience needed to change the organization or the trust needed either. Very competitive market for their new product with a poor pipeline. They have talked about acquisition for many years with no result.

Pare down the organization to meet current needs and build a new organization when you have better products through the pipeline or through acquisition or partnering. Get the right senior management team in place.

Great entry level experience

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

DSI training program is solid. If you are brought on by a decent manager your skill set will be developed to enter the industry.

Cons

Currently - confusion and misdirection from upper management. The future for primary care reps looks grim from this company.

Keep on keeping on!

Nice group of people to work with.

Current Employee - Desktop Deployment Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Desktop Deployment Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Dont have any, I was very satisfied with the team.

Very professional

I wish I could work here again

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved everything about the company (people, co workers, Senior management, Directors, VP's Colleagues) Everyone was wonderful and so helpful. Great fun activities in holidays, work/life balance. free Gym, great benefits, Good salary.

Cons

I really can't think of any flaw. there may be challenges like budget cut or lay offs.

None in my eyes you will always be the best company I worked for.

Good opportunity, not very open

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Good pay for relatively easy work . But don't get me wrong, you do have to work to make the money .

Cons

Management RD level above and in house not always honest and open

Be open and honest

Sales

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Great DMs. Good leaders at field level.

Cons

Layoffs. Don't have a problem letting folks go.

None