Daiichi Sankyo

Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Daiichi Sankyo President, CEO, and Director Joji Nakayama
Joji Nakayama

Pros
  • Competitive salary, decent work life balance and working with some very dedicated people (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, great management, and decent money-making potential (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure doesn't work unless you are in a few select spots in the country where you can be in the top ten percent (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management has not respected our work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

So far in my time at DSI I have had a fairly great experience.

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The district I work in is one of the hardest in the country which poses its own challenges, but as far as company and managerial support and flexibility I have been encouraged to do my job to the best of my abilities considering the constraints. The company supports its employees well from needed materials (car, technology, supplies, etc.) to (decent) freedom, flexibility and autonomy, yet you also still get a bit of team comradery periodically as well. The company strives for open and honest communication and for the most part holds true to that on their end. Great benefits, culture, etc. all in all I think they've stepped things up since reviews I've read in the past.

Cons

Currently there are a lot of upper management and leadership changes including a new CEO and the resignation of the vp of sales. I do think the direction we're heading may look a little more similar to bigger corporate pharma but thinks hard to say now whether it's a pro or a con. They're tightening up on budget and the bottom line is bei closely evaluated but in some regard, rightfully so as there was likely a lot of waste in the past. It's smart for a growing company of our size, I just hope it's done smoothly and respectfully to the sales force and doesn't come on too extreme in the coming months. Other shortfalls have been the product pipeline in the past and still currently at the moment primary care reps are stuck selling 13-15 year old products which =not much new and exciting to talk to physicians about on a regular basis but in the coming months we'll have the first of a few new products to steer repping and that should liven things up. I have. Really hard time judging the overall total compensation package. I do think our benefits out win many others outside of pharma and even most within. Salaries on the other hand I don't truly know what's fair, good, or expected for someone new entering this industry. I sometimes feel like I shot mine low and wish I had asked for more initially. Some territories are small and dense and you can truly have great work life balance in that kind of territory but if your territory is widespread, expect to drive a lot and often that means longer days than your colleagues in smaller areas. Where they can spend in between office time keeping up on things like emails and reading that's assigned, in a larger territory your in between time is spent driving which means you're doing those such things either early in the morning, or in your evenings or weekends. Work life balance becomes a little tougher the further distances you have to drive between targets.

Make sure to be truly open, honest and transparent in communication of the company direction and plans. This is hard for the force to judge at the current moment, things are explained to us but we sometimes wonder if we're getting the whole backstory of why and how things are coming to be. Continue to keep open to letting reps do what they need to do in the way they need to do it without building up too much more regulation and structure around the minor details.

Sales representative

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teammates! Reps here don't backstabbing, even though we have a stacked force rank against each other. There is great bonus potential for top 20%.

Cons

Selling in class with ALL generics is very frustrating and mgt pretends that cost shouldn't matter.

its an okay place to be

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time

Pros

corporate culture so far has been great.

Cons

salary and commissions are below industry. Upper management has not respected our work/life balance. PRovided now out of territory time to study for a new drug lunch. Its fine if your single with no kids. If you've got a family it's impossible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative II
    Current Employee - Sales Representative II

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High Potential bonus earnings for top performers. Good Managers, Great Work Life balance and Time off.

Cons

Change systems way to often

Stop changing the IC and Buckets every year. And have an honest straight conversation with your reps. Were sales people, we don't need you selling us.

Poor sales management with a lack of ethics and values.

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Talented, smart, and driven sales force.

Cons

Very aggressive upper management style with unreasonable expectations and poor ethical behavior.

Formerly GREAT company, now just MEH...

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Generous time off policies and good benefits. Focus on work/life balance. I've had good managers and average managers...the only thing constant is that they will change.

Cons

Constantly changing management direction, product weighting and compensation, no to little advancement opportunities in almost 4 years, questionable data and reporting procedures. Uncertain pipeline and now the specialty sales force is poaching on primary care and getting compensated more than I was as a PC rep. Upper management completely out of touch with what is happening in the field.

Listen to your field sales force regarding disproportionate compensation and responsibilities. Constant fluctuation and non communication will lead to the discontent, demotivation and devaluing of the sales force.

This company has the absolute nicest people working!

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

The people are so dedicated without being rude or cutthroat. The company itself had many programs, a gym, time for training. I have nothing but good things to say about this company and it was a pleasure to work there.

Cons

If you consider it "a con" everyone is so driven that you will be running from one meeting to another all day every day. Like I said if you think that's a bad thing then there you go. I personally loved being kept busy all day.

Keep up the great work and never loose sight of the fact that the people are the company. Go right by them and they will do right by you.

Medical Directors in U.S are aloof

Current Employee - Clin Ops  in  Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Clin Ops in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not overburdened with back-to-back submissions. Good benefits compared to industry. Work from home policy.

Cons

Small player in the pharma world with non-blockbuster drugs. Pharma Development MD's work from home too much thus not "plugged" in to efforts. No teamwork environment.

Start getting rid of the "driftwood" MDs who have inflated opinions of their own self worth and hire some younger and more dynamic medical directors with some fire and convictions. Too many upper management people work from home for weeks on end. Lower level folks seem to do all the work while the medical directors seem to get the credit and perks. That's toxic.

Decent

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

work life balance
    car, expense account

Cons

robotic managers and outdated sales ideals

hire professionals not kids out of college

DSI

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Good salary and benefits compared to other mid size companies

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities at the time of my employment

Worked for Daiichi Sankyo? Contribute to the Community!