Daiichi Sankyo

Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Daiichi Sankyo President, CEO, and Director Joji Nakayama
Joji Nakayama

Pros
  • Competitive salary, decent work life balance and working with some very dedicated people (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, great management, and decent money-making potential (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus Structure is skewed to benefit large market cities, need more competitive salaries to compete with other companies (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management has not respected our work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I wish I could work here again

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved everything about the company (people, co workers, Senior management, Directors, VP's Colleagues) Everyone was wonderful and so helpful. Great fun activities in holidays, work/life balance. free Gym, great benefits, Good salary.

Cons

I really can't think of any flaw. there may be challenges like budget cut or lay offs.

None in my eyes you will always be the best company I worked for.

Sales

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Great DMs. Good leaders at field level.

Cons

Layoffs. Don't have a problem letting folks go.

None

Needs new leadership

Former Employee - Commercial Division in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Commercial Division in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, nice working environment w/cafeteria, gym, salary, compensation and benefits are very good, very hard working employees

Cons

Male dominated Japanese-influenced culture with lack of diversity. The company's future is shaky, little to no products in the pipeline. Favoritism is rampant but they try to disguise it with HR processes and stated company values. Unfortunately, the company does not have a good reputation in the industry unless it changes.

Start over and make it the company it should be in order to compete with other small to mid-tier pharmas. Get rid of senior management and bring in new people otherwise the old culture will persist.

Good opportunity, not very open

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo

Pros

Good pay for relatively easy work . But don't get me wrong, you do have to work to make the money .

Cons

Management RD level above and in house not always honest and open

Be open and honest

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, development of people, good work life balance, ability to move around the company and be in different roles. The upper management really listens to suggestions that the field brings to them.

Cons

Great company; great culture!

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, benefits, and opportunities.

Cons

The industry is getting tougher to navigate.

Devotion and a patience to learn the industry is needed.

Former Employee - Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work there take time to make sure everything is going according to order. Everyday is different, you can be in meetings all day or be on the phone next to your laptop. It keeps you on your toes. A very good experience to say the least.

Cons

long hours even after being out of the office.

Sales representative

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teammates! Reps here don't backstabbing, even though we have a stacked force rank against each other. There is great bonus potential for top 20%.

Cons

Selling in class with ALL generics is very frustrating and mgt pretends that cost shouldn't matter.

So far in my time at DSI I have had a fairly great experience.

Current Employee - Primary Care Sales
    Current Employee - Primary Care Sales

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The district I work in is one of the hardest in the country which poses its own challenges, but as far as company and managerial support and flexibility I have been encouraged to do my job to the best of my abilities considering the constraints. The company supports its employees well from needed materials (car, technology, supplies, etc.) to (decent) freedom, flexibility and autonomy, yet you also still get a bit of team comradery periodically as well. The company strives for open and honest communication and for the most part holds true to that on their end. Great benefits, culture, etc. all in all I think they've stepped things up since reviews I've read in the past.

Cons

Currently there are a lot of upper management and leadership changes including a new CEO and the resignation of the vp of sales. I do think the direction we're heading may look a little more similar to bigger corporate pharma but thinks hard to say now whether it's a pro or a con. They're tightening up on budget and the bottom line is bei closely evaluated but in some regard, rightfully so as there was likely a lot of waste in the past. It's smart for a growing company of our size, I just hope it's done smoothly and respectfully to the sales force and doesn't come on too extreme in the coming months. Other shortfalls have been the product pipeline in the past and still currently at the moment primary care reps are stuck selling 13-15 year old products which =not much new and exciting to talk to physicians about on a regular basis but in the coming months we'll have the first of a few new products to steer repping and that should liven things up. I have. Really hard time judging the overall total compensation package. I do think our benefits out win many others outside of pharma and even most within. Salaries on the other hand I don't truly know what's fair, good, or expected for someone new entering this industry. I sometimes feel like I shot mine low and wish I had asked for more initially. Some territories are small and dense and you can truly have great work life balance in that kind of territory but if your territory is widespread, expect to drive a lot and often that means longer days than your colleagues in smaller areas. Where they can spend in between office time keeping up on things like emails and reading that's assigned, in a larger territory your in between time is spent driving which means you're doing those such things either early in the morning, or in your evenings or weekends. Work life balance becomes a little tougher the further distances you have to drive between targets.

Make sure to be truly open, honest and transparent in communication of the company direction and plans. This is hard for the force to judge at the current moment, things are explained to us but we sometimes wonder if we're getting the whole backstory of why and how things are coming to be. Continue to keep open to letting reps do what they need to do in the way they need to do it without building up too much more regulation and structure around the minor details.

its an okay place to be

I have been working at Daiichi Sankyo full-time

Pros

corporate culture so far has been great.

Cons

salary and commissions are below industry. Upper management has not respected our work/life balance. PRovided now out of territory time to study for a new drug lunch. Its fine if your single with no kids. If you've got a family it's impossible.

Daiichi Sankyo Photos