Daikin North America Reviews

Reset
2.9
CEO

1. Negative environment

I worked at Daikin North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work all the overtime your heart desires. Union environment pay is decent for area. Employees are friendly and welcome to new hires as long as you do your part and work.

Cons

Upper management. Overloaded employees. Lack of listening. If you don't have a life away from work then this place is perfect for you. Will never have time to do anything other than work.

Advice to Management

Allow your supervisors to make decisions, listen to them, and take there advice they deal with the floor something you are wrongfully out of touch with. The new HR regime is trying to blow butterflies and rainbows out of every where they can, but have failed to make the environment anymore inviting to workers or lower and middle managers. Put in bonus programs so the people that do actually work there butt off get rewarded instead of washed into the pack.

Whose on 1st?

Former Employee - Technical Services
    Former Employee - Technical Services

Pros

Depending on who you work with it could be a very fun group of people to be with. The Japanese cultures of continual improvement and people centered management seem promising but it hasn't hit the rank and file in North America yet.

Cons

Poor leadership and management, tremendous turnover, recruiting takes a very long time to get through, and the merger with Goodman MFG has led to continual changes to policy and compensation. Low compensation compared to other manufacturers and equipment reps in the HVAC field.

Advice to Management

Instead of reminding employees to make sure the door doesn't hit them on the way out, ask why they are leaving. Even if new terms can't be agreed on, it's a respectable thing to do.

general overview of company

Pros

good benefits, somewhat hands off management style

Cons

bull-room office space, lack of direction

Advice to Management

more involvement with progress and mobility of employees

Not great. Management does not know how to properly utilize experienced people.

Former Employee - Technical in Decatur, AL
    Former Employee - Technical in Decatur, AL

I worked at Daikin North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, especially medical and 401K..

Cons

Micromanagement abounds. Training is the same on-line "stuff" every year. Personal growth is not really available. Management dwells on "fluff" instead of important planning, customers and projects. IT Department definitely needs an upgrade.

Advice to Management

Get away from the old-time trends and protocol. It is a Japanese company, but you are in the USA with mainly American workers.

Passionate team, leadership very down to earth, plenty of room for growth.

Former Employee - Applications Development Technician in Hanover, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Development Technician in Hanover, MA

I worked at Daikin North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is definitely a lot of room for growth for Daikin America. Managers provide a lot of opportunity for personal and professional growth. The product line is interesting, and the industries that Daikin serves are varied - making the work interesting and varied. Company takes training seriously,

Cons

A slightly less tech-savvy population made it challenging to use information technology to our best advantage. Also, Daikin uses Lotus Notes for their email client - which was a little frustrating at times. Some teams are small, so although there is long term job stability and potential, short term prospects seem less exciting. There is also a reluctance to hire people, which led to some overwork and stress.

Advice to Management

Invest in better information technology. Be more willing to hire people.

Stuck in time

Current Employee - Engineerer in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Engineerer in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Daikin North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, small company feel, good pay

Cons

Policies are stuck in 1990, slow moving bureaucracy for the size company, long hours the norm, no upward mobility, no structured career path

Advice to Management

New blood. Most of the management has been there for 15-20 years and want to do everything the way it has always been done. Rock the boat change things up.

(UK) Woking Office

Pros

Nice colleagues. No micro management.

Cons

Management is non-existent. Do not expect any support what so ever. The first 3 days I started I had no computer, no phone, no software installed. It was only when I decided to rummage around through filing cabinets I came across Daikins dedicated IT helpdesk number. 3 hours later I had it all setup and running. It's the most inefficient operation I've ever experienced. On top of all this, the 'manager's' simply delegate jobs to other people as they either 1) do not understand it themselves or 2) do not want to understand it themselves. They then expect you to make the processes more efficient but they do not bother to take the time in analyzing the weaknesses themselves and fairly quantify issues with a view to resolving them. On top of all this, I witnessed 3 engineers leave in 2 months and I was the 3rd to fill the position I had (2 before me were "let-go" - all this within 6 months). It was simply comical to work there. Worst place I have ever worked.

Roller coaster ride

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Daikin North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people. Nicely furnished. Benefits are good.

Cons

Some inept co-workers performing below expectations still keep their jobs because Managers are too afraid to confront them. Lack of personal recognition. HR? -Don't even know who they are . Not a female-friendly company and they pay females less for same positions held by men. Lack of investment in technology.

Was a great place

I worked at Daikin North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people want to do the right things to make the company great. The atmosphere changed over time and it became more political.

Cons

Senior leadership prevented the company from growing. They forced many good people out of the organization.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that actually do the work. Take a bottom up approach instead of top down.

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Daikin North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A powerhouse in our industry. We are the global leader and THE force to be reckoned with..!!

Cons

Turbulent times due to our own success. The acquisition of the largest North American company into the largest Global company has been challenging

Advice to Management

Keep communication channels open. Involve teams earlier in decision process

RSS Feed </> Embed