Daimler Trucks North America

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum
Martin Daum

Pros
  • Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through (in 12 reviews)

• Stable company; pay and benefits are attractive (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Despite recent initiative to convert long-time contractors to full-time employees, many positions are still contract jobs (in 4 reviews)

• Managers can be hit or miss and some are very old school and change adverse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Manufacturing engineering intern. Great internship allowed me to expand my knowledge and professional network.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management was highly focused on getting valuable work out of the interns. This translated into having meaningful projects that had direct impact on the end product.

Cons

Dull corporate work environment. lots of people doing things because that is the way they have been done....

Good money, easy job, no job security.

Former Employee - Pre Delivery Inspection Tech in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Pre Delivery Inspection Tech in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Money, easy work, decent hours. Union jobs if your into that sort of thing.

Cons

Union job doesn't matter how hard you work when it comes to lay offs.

None

Very Resistant to Change

Former Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some very nice people and learned a lot about trucks. My department also had a great budget for education, so was able to take any classes I needed at the company's expense.

Cons

Lots of people who have been there for a very long time that are completely resistant to change. Some of those same people are in roles they aren't a good fit for, making it difficult for others to do their jobs effectively. Seems also to not want to promote women very often and is run more in the "good ol' boys club" kind of way (I am a male who observed this).

Learn to trust some of your newer employees. They bring in fresh ideas and contribute just as much as the employees that have been there for a long time. Also, get rid of the people who are dragging the company down.

Great Experience as an PVE Engineer

Current Employee - PVE Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - PVE Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hands on work environment, flexible schedule, plenty of resources to use when solving tough challenges

Cons

Growth within company, transparencies of upper management discisions

Entry Level Technician

Current Employee - Entry Level Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Entry Level Technician in Portland, OR

Pros

Co-Workers are great people, job is gfun and interesting for the most part.

Cons

Hard to become full time employee. contractors are segregated and not treated like employees are.

Give employees more feedback on job performance and get ride of contractors.

Process, Hierarchy and Pointless Meetings

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are great: great health and dental, reimbursed tuition, lease a Mercedes for cheap. The training opportunities were good too.

Cons

When it came to solving simple problems, managers would want to get every other department managers involved, even though the problem does not affect them. This wastes time that could have been used to fix the problem. Also, there are always meetings, after meeting, after meetings. They have become meaningless, and sometimes I get invited to meetings I'm not even relevant in. I was also kept out of high-level meetings that reviewed the work I produced. Some managers hide subordinates out of fear they will outshine them.

OpComm, please pay attention to the L4 level to see the inner-workings of the company. Also have a look at the non-managers as we're the ones who could give meaningful insights on how to increase efficiency. Some of our managers don't even bother with taking part of the work we do.

Good place making changes to be an "Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are definitely making changes to make things a better workplace. They have great benefits, salaried employees get 4 weeks vacation to start plus the 13 paid holidays (it includes a week off at Christmas). There is always something going on and they do have interesting projects to work on. People are friendly and easy to work with and willing to help you out or show you what to do.

Cons

There is still a bit of the "old" Freightliner mentality left over. Which is don't bother me with your problems, I'm only concerned with mine. Usually employees know about things before management announces it to everyone, which can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

They are trying to open up communication but they still need to do a better job sometimes.

Many years as IT Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to build relationships.
    Lots of people.
    Lots of things to do.
    Lots of variety between managers' functional competency areas.
    Lots of variety of people and skills

Cons

Lots of changes in management that don't seem to make sense
    Lots of changes in methods that add burdens to line staff
    Lots of variety of people and skills - adds difficulty to increase velocity to meet objectives.
    Methods group lacks ability to communicate to the 80% - primary focus is to sr management and to department managers, not to PMs or analysts and technicians.

Integrate line staff activities more with senior line management staff tactical and strategic changes.

Mechanical engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

flex hours, Design trucks, live in portland

Cons

typical heavy industry culture. Senior management do not trust technical experts.

Push top talent through the company. Focus more on research and development/innovation

Pretty average overall, poor management

Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked here as a contracted. I was treated mostly well by my immediate coworkers. Very collegial and friendly . Beautiful view on the waterfront outside ! Work life balance.

Cons

Middle management was either too stupid or arrogant or both. I worked with some smart german engineers but the germany seem to have no coherent strategy or plan for the project . And managers would get shuffled or promoted for no logical reason and the bad ones would be rewarded with plum positions. Those who mismanaged the projects would climb up the ladder and rest of us would deal with the mess. This is a surprisingly badly run company in a beautiful city. If this company were in a highly competitive industry like tech or something they would be out of business in a week.

Daimler Trucks North America Photos