Daimler Trucks North America

Updated February 27, 2015
3.1

Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum
Martin Daum

Pros
  • Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through (in 12 reviews)

• Stable company; pay and benefits are attractive (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Despite recent initiative to convert long-time contractors to full-time employees, many positions are still contract jobs (in 4 reviews)

• Managers can be hit or miss and some are very old school and change adverse (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It was great working for the company.

Former Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America

Pros

The money, working conditions and benefits were great.

Cons

Most of the jobs were monotonous.Thats why I liked working in the welding area we were constantly doing somthing different

Great Learning Experience

Former Intern - Aftermarket in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Aftermarket in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great managers
    Employees are empowered to do their job
    Teamwork is real
    Culture

Cons

Negotiation is an art you need to master when handling suppliers
    Can be stressful/hectic at certain times of the year

Engineering Internship

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America

Pros

Great work-life balance. Hours were flexible and everyone was always willing to help.

Cons

Seemed like it would be easy to get stuck in a job with little upward mobility. Lower compensation than other Portland companies.

All of my experience with management was positive.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Contractor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Contractor in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits and wages are decent. It's a nice place to work, people are friendly and there wasn't a lot of tension in the department I worked in.

Cons

Management can be demanding. Promotions are difficult to get in certain areas. Being hired on was impossible due to hiring freeze, I was kept as a contractor for almost 3 years.

Started off great, ending on a sour note

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America

Pros

Co-workers, full time benefits are good, exposure to other departments

Cons

LOTS of office politics, no wifi, too much security, older coworkers

Stop playing people, letting them think they have job security and then back them into a corner.

DTNA

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America

Pros

Large Corporation for more opportunities. Global Company.

Cons

Sometime it can feel like your effort or position is small since it's a large company and many are involved in the projects.

Decent internship program

Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Program is very structured, competitive pay, and delivers an experience comparable to what a full time employee's would be. Tasks were always available and management was extremely friendly and helpful. Food court was pretty good.

Cons

Job responsibilities were cyclical and it was sometimes difficult to get involved in projects outside the scope of these tasks.

Don't be afraid to let interns get involved in important projects and take on important roles, at least for those interested. From my experience, interns were talented and could handle such leveled tasks.

Manufacturing engineering intern. Great internship allowed me to expand my knowledge and professional network.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management was highly focused on getting valuable work out of the interns. This translated into having meaningful projects that had direct impact on the end product.

Cons

Dull corporate work environment. lots of people doing things because that is the way they have been done....

Very good

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation, 401k, Mercedes lease program

Cons

Pay & opportunities, cost share for health benefits

The corporate culture is money centric, selfish and cold.

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A paying job. Speaking for Info Tech area only, you can still learn a lot if you choose to; on your own time and on your own dime or by asking a few good people. Almost everyone who has been there a while is very smart.

Cons

The culture is stereotypically corporate. Many players manipulate for personal gain, the stress is high, the time is short and the money is only for men who played the game the best. I've seen more than a few capable people enter the company happy and confident only to end up 6 months later showing stress pimples and looking overwhelmed and doubtful of themselves. Management treats themselves to insanely generous bonuses while still being so cheap as to leave less favored employees pleading for even cheap online training. The culture leans towards the cold, bullying side. Once, an employee, a manager, came into the office overnight and committed suicide, shooting himself in the head at his desk. A corporate announcement, in short, blamed him more than expressed sorrow. They still kept one half of the floor open for work while they cleaned up the cubicle. Couldn't even allow one day off in respect for him. The culture did not improve in the slightest following it. It even, as if in defiance, became even more cold. Promotions favored those who match the culture and so, naturally, the culture became even colder.

Over the years, the company has been giving more and more management positions to German natives and replacing many of the US employees with Indian (Syntel) contractors, both off site and on site. While many of the Indian contractors are great (polite, smart and hard working, while being treated virtually like slaves), it was still disturbing to have to watch so many good, loyal, longtime employees be eliminated over the years for some excuse; set up to struggle, be it at new job duties, with no training and no guidance and, perhaps worst of all, lots of destructive support. Like an animal kingdom, management separates the injured from the group, then pressures them until they break and then the injured can be "killed" without legal reprisal due to documented failures (basically)

A note to any women applying to work at DTNA, ask for at least 10% more money than what they offer you.... they do pay men overall much more than women, so they likely offered you much less to start with. You're never going to get it later.

My low ratings are the benefit of hind site, which is 20-20.

Buck the trend. Be something your Grandma can be proud of.

Daimler Trucks North America Photos