Daimler Trucks North America

Updated September 30, 2014
3.1

Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum
Martin Daum

Pros
  • Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through (in 12 reviews)

• Stable company; pay and benefits are attractive (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of the senior management is 'old school', strictly follows the org chart and is out-of-touch with technology (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not realize what is going on, I suppose because no one dares speak up (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place making changes to be an "Employer of Choice"

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are definitely making changes to make things a better workplace. They have great benefits, salaried employees get 4 weeks vacation to start plus the 13 paid holidays (it includes a week off at Christmas). There is always something going on and they do have interesting projects to work on. People are friendly and easy to work with and willing to help you out or show you what to do.

Cons

There is still a bit of the "old" Freightliner mentality left over. Which is don't bother me with your problems, I'm only concerned with mine. Usually employees know about things before management announces it to everyone, which can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

They are trying to open up communication but they still need to do a better job sometimes.

Mechanical engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

flex hours, Design trucks, live in portland

Cons

typical heavy industry culture. Senior management do not trust technical experts.

Push top talent through the company. Focus more on research and development/innovation

Process, Hierarchy and Pointless Meetings

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are great: great health and dental, reimbursed tuition, lease a Mercedes for cheap. The training opportunities were good too.

Cons

When it came to solving simple problems, managers would want to get every other department managers involved, even though the problem does not affect them. This wastes time that could have been used to fix the problem. Also, there are always meetings, after meeting, after meetings. They have become meaningless, and sometimes I get invited to meetings I'm not even relevant in. I was also kept out of high-level meetings that reviewed the work I produced. Some managers hide subordinates out of fear they will outshine them.

OpComm, please pay attention to the L4 level to see the inner-workings of the company. Also have a look at the non-managers as we're the ones who could give meaningful insights on how to increase efficiency. Some of our managers don't even bother with taking part of the work we do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Many years as IT Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to build relationships.
    Lots of people.
    Lots of things to do.
    Lots of variety between managers' functional competency areas.
    Lots of variety of people and skills

Cons

Lots of changes in management that don't seem to make sense
    Lots of changes in methods that add burdens to line staff
    Lots of variety of people and skills - adds difficulty to increase velocity to meet objectives.
    Methods group lacks ability to communicate to the 80% - primary focus is to sr management and to department managers, not to PMs or analysts and technicians.

Integrate line staff activities more with senior line management staff tactical and strategic changes.

Pretty average overall, poor management

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked here as a contracted. I was treated mostly well by my immediate coworkers. Very collegial and friendly . Beautiful view on the waterfront outside ! Work life balance.

Cons

Middle management was either too stupid or arrogant or both. I worked with some smart german engineers but the germany seem to have no coherent strategy or plan for the project . And managers would get shuffled or promoted for no logical reason and the bad ones would be rewarded with plum positions. Those who mismanaged the projects would climb up the ladder and rest of us would deal with the mess. This is a surprisingly badly run company in a beautiful city. If this company were in a highly competitive industry like tech or something they would be out of business in a week.

Family oriented organization with work life balance

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Family oriented company. values employees with many perks and ad-hoc amenities. Work life balance is highly appreciated. Brings the euro mentality to US productivity

Cons

typical large company that structures advancement through bandwidths

It's Not What You Know But Who You Know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

Pros

Tuition reimbursement appox 70%.

Cons

Unfortunately some Aftermarket female managers are not experienced to lead, they thrive or promote gossip. Teams are demotivated but scared to do anything for fear of loosing their jobs. The line "It's not what you know but who you know.." stands true predominantly in the Aftermarket division.

Replace many of the managers in Aftermarket with managers from Germany. Have these new managers encourage 360 degree evaluations. This will eliminate the favoritism.

Stagnant

Current Employee - Engineer III  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance, great vacation policy, jeans allowed, some management understanding and attempt to get to you at a personal level, Adidas employee store pass/coupon every now and then.

Cons

Low pay compared to other companies in Portland area, sometimes lots of politics involved in getting a new position or moving to a different department, food in new cafeteria expensive vs. old one,

Charlotte HQ Location - Great people, fractured vision within company, Reactive atmosphere

Current Employee - Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time

Pros

A large company who values it's employees and offers flexibility with schedules, strong benefits, good perks, supportive team environment within a department and challenging often exciting work. Many departments have excellent exposure to senior management and there are opportunities to grow in the company. DTNA offers a lot of company paid training and values loyalty.

Cons

Much of the senior management is 'old school', strictly follows the org chart and is out-of-touch with technology. This is challenging when working on cutting edge solutions that need vision and risk-taking decisions. The company struggles with it's reactionary traditional methodology vs. a proactive mind-set. Most departments are understaffed since the downturn and burn-out is prevalent among mid-level managers. The balance tips strongly toward work with little concern for family commitments if you allow it.

Partner with your directors and manager.

Company where changes is very little and very slow.

Current Employee - Engineer III  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Portland, OR

Pros

Good vacations package. Probably the best in the US.

Cons

Chances of advances are very low. Good ideas are not rewarded. Change (i.e. improvement) is not perceived as good.

Engineering process is kinda messy and improvement is too complicated. Management is afraid to try new methods because of the cost it involves, even if it risk to make the company more profitable.

Daimler Trucks North America Photos

Freightliner Trucks Cascadia Model
Best Product on the Market
Portland Headquarters Building of Daimler Trucks North America

+ Add Photo

Worked for Daimler Trucks North America? Contribute to the Community!