Daimler Trucks North America

Daimler Trucks North America Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum

Martin Daum

Pros
  • Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through(in 9 reviews)

• Stable company; pay and benefits are attractive(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of the senior management is 'old school', strictly follows the org chart and is out-of-touch with technology(in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not realize what is going on, I suppose because no one dares speak up(in 5 reviews)

Intern

ProsBig company with lots of opportunity

ConsLots of red tape to get anything done.

Best place of employment in 40 yrs. of working !!

Painter (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsVery rewarding ,easy to get along with supervisors , they recognized the skills of my trade . Very thankful to have worked there !

ConsThe amount of employees that didn't realize how good they have it .

Excellent experience for interns

Pros- Nice pay to interns
    - Bunch of opportunities to have a big picture of the industry
    - People are kind
    - It's Portland

Cons-Not too many openings as far as I know

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

no one does it better

Gmgr (Current Employee) Dunmore, PA

Prosthe best in the industry

Consyou can't do any better

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on trucking

I am proud to work at Freightliner.

Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) Mount Holly, NC

Prosbenefits,pay and I actualy have fun.

Consearly overtime is realy early. the

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen the new hires better.

An underrated gem in the Pacific Northwest

Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros- Great, visionary senior management
    - Excellent pay and benefits package
    - Employee lease program for Mercedes-Benz cars at unbelievably great conditions
    - Strong efforts to improve culture and attractiveness - and it's working
    - it's Portland, Oregon

Cons- Owned by Daimler AG - if you hate Germans and Matrix organizations, then this one is not for you
    - Takes corporate social responsibilty too serious - low performers last and last and last

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work that started in the last years

Great company to work for

Secretary (Current Employee) Fort Mill, SC

ProsVery employee driven. Offers all types of benefits that other companies don't offer

ConsSome perceptions that corporate is better than plants

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency especially on the AP side

"Where Great People Do Great Things"

ProsAn innovative, dynamic company where the only person who can hold you back is yourself. The people are dedicated to a great brands, Freightliner and Western Star, and the company enjoys the #1 market share in North America for it's class. Manufacturing is world class and lean administration is cultural not a buzz word. Excellent, smart people who know their product and love their company.

ConsForeign Parent is always a challenge!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating at all levels.

Great pay, excellent benefits, demanding work

Manufacturing Tech (Former Employee) Cleveland, NC

ProsThe pay is way above average due to Union influence and the benefits are extraordinary. The wages are significant for someone without a college education and well worth the hard work.

ConsAs with any manufacturing business, the workload fluctuates with the business cycle. I believe the key phrase is "At Freightliner, its feast or famine." The highs are extremely high and the lows are unbearable as far as work hours and money are concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have little advice for managers concerning production workers. At the rate of pay that production workers are being paid at this facility, they should be thankful for the opportunity to make that amount of money, considering most of the education levels. Managers should focus more on safety, which is always important in this industry, and keeping the business afloat.

DTNA is a great place for a manufacturing related career.

L5 Development Engineer (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsDTNA is a large organization that is working very hard at including its employees is the shop floor management of its facilities. There are plenty fo opportunities to contribute to improvements that are occuring and plenty of pressure to deliver results.

ConsDTNA is engaged in heavy manufacturing of trucks for the transportation industry. As such it is at the mercy of the cylical market for its product. The market volitility for the product has been further inflamed by significant changes to emission requirements which have caused the transportation industry to pre-buy and delay purchases while waiting for a governement mandated penalty or incentive to be realized.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current marketing plan seems to lack an identity. We need to become the vertically integrated manufacturer that we have started to become. Agreeing to sell components from our competators all the while refusing to sell Daimler components through the competators assembly operations is bi-polar. Pick the strategy and go with it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Worked for Daimler Trucks North America? Contribute to the Community!