Daimler Trucks North America

Daimler Trucks North America Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum

Martin Daum

Pros:
  • "Stable company; pay and benefits are attractive"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not realize what is going on, I suppose because no one dares speak up"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is a lack of communication on where company is really headed"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Company where changes is very little and very slow.

Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGood vacations package. Probably the best in the US.

ConsChances of advances are very low. Good ideas are not rewarded. Change (i.e. improvement) is not perceived as good.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering process is kinda messy and improvement is too complicated. Management is afraid to try new methods because of the cost it involves, even if it risk to make the company more profitable.

Engineering in Portland

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGood work - life balance and benefits. Interesting work and projects. Lots of opportunities for training and to explore different positions within the company in Portland and also abroad. They are continually striving to do better and are, at present, investing a significant amount in their facilities and products.

ConsHave to change jobs to get promoted. Highly influenced and sometimes disrupted by management in Germany. Lots of red tape and processes to learn to become effective at your job. Current product issues can be distracting when your main focus is new product development. Managers can be hit or miss and some are very old school and change adverse. Relatively low pay for the Portland metro.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees and hear their voices and not just what you want to hear.

Intern

ProsBig company with lots of opportunity

ConsLots of red tape to get anything done.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My life at DTNA consists of very long hours, unending pressure and stress, and poor resources.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, NC

ProsYou get a good deal on a Mercedes Benz lease.

ConsPublic beat downs in meetings on production floor that hourly employees can hear, constant equipment break downs, poor planning for launches, oh did I mention very long hours like 12+ a day and often weekends. You will not have a life away from work.

Good place to work

Project Planner (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFlexible work environment that seeks to improve employees. Good pay and benefits. Work life balance can be tricky at times, but in my department it can be worked through.

ConsOrganizations within the company tend to be silos and it can be difficult to cross communicate. Sometimes one hand does not know what the other is doing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive compensation plans. Many opportunities for growth, its encouraged.

ConsThey don't allow you to stay in a job long enough to master your craft

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept those who don't share the same philosophy, they may bring value.

Typical huge corporation. Too many silos, company keeps people on as contractors for years.

ProsOpportunity to learn, flexible work hours. Feels more stable than most contract jobs because they keep renewing the contract.

ConsDespite recent initiative to convert long-time contractors to full-time employees, many positions are still contract jobs. Pay is below market rate. IT is divided into so many silos that it's difficult to find the right person or department, and the employee portal is badly organized and out of date. Bringing technology up to date takes forever, and IT projects are underfunded.

Good work environment.

Senior Engineer I (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe benefits are great (vacation) and work hours are flexible. Opportunity for growth and advancement is available for those who wish to take advantage of it. The company is becoming more technically advanced.

ConsThe salary is modest. Upon reaching a salary level, it is difficult to advance in pay scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be more accepting of new ideas and suggestions.

OK place to work if you like a clique environment

ProsThe company philosophy as a whole I enjoy so the comments made are not meant to be derogative but constructive.
    Company has shutdowns on Dec holidays.
    Majority of people are nice to work with.
    They have a MB leasing program for employees with attractive rates.

ConsS&M Aftermarket management plays favoritism with colleagues that come from Detroit Diesel, when it comes to job placement and perks.

They have eliminated or changed many of the benefits to the companies advantage/employees disadvantage, such as bonuses BUT they have kept the bonuses for the managers. So depending what position you are at, it could be a pro or a con.

I have worked with many woman professionals in my career, many absolutely outstanding but here S&M Aftermarket managers (they manage a team l4) are very clique and seem to instigate or thrive on gossip with other female managers. From what I have observed they seem to thrive on having someone as their target. Their male counterparts seem to be at a loss sometimes by this behavior. Upper management does not realize what is going on, I suppose because no one dares speak up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGermany should have employees evaluate their managers in a confidential way. Many of the areas have a small number of direct reports so the managers would figure out who had negative feedback. This has discourage employees from speaking up in the past.

Their needs to be a program in place to instruct managers, placed in the Fort Mill office, how to run a team and focus on being professionally fair, balanced and lead/motivate a team. Instead of placing managers based on who they know, their degree ( you can have a degree but not have leadership qualities) or how well they can schmooze upper management who seem oblivious either because the profits are there so they get their bonuses which prompts them to turn a blind eye or they don't want to deal with the reality that non-management employees are not happy.

Decent workplace for interns

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

Pros- Salary
    - Flexible hours
    - Smart people
    - Team outings

ConsUpper management isn't welcome to change. Non-German speakers will not really fit into the culture in the workplace (a lot of German speaking employees).

Worked for Daimler Trucks North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Daimler Trucks North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Daimler Trucks North America CEO Martin Daum. All 116 reviews posted anonymously by Daimler Trucks North America employees.