Dairy Farmers of America

Rick Smith

Great Company

Intern (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat people and managers to work for!

ConsNone! Great and stable Company

Disappointed with direction company is taking

General Office (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGood working relationship with co-workers and immediate management; enjoyed working with immediate customers and employees from other DFA locations. Pros with this company are a thing of the past.

ConsLow wages, work-life balance is going out the window; corporate office upper management is a known bully pulpit with huge egos; impossible to move up within company if you are not in the "in" crowd. Good benefits are a thing of the past, salary increases didn't compensate for the increasing insurance rates. Hourly employees are treated as third class citizens.

Worse job I ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only "pro" is the people working on the shop floor and the rural settings that many of the plants are located in.

ConsI was hired into a staff position and relocated. Shortly after taking the job my responsibilities was significantly added to. My normal 10-hour work days were now no longer acceptable. Worst part, no salary increase or even a thank-you. I was warned by my predecessor but didn't believe what I was told. If you are over 50 don't waste your time, DFA only interested in hiring kids that they can underpay.

Advice to Senior ManagementFar to much "good ole boy" attitude in local management. Look at the big picture and quit trying to get over on your customers and employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK if you just want to "just put time in"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, WI

ProsPros: not held accountable, can be there all day and not have to do much. Can go many years unrecognized.

ConsSome positions will be replaced every 2 years. Do not do talent reviews. Do not plan for retirements or job advancements, they do not believe in training you for the next level to keep you with the company.

Advice to Senior Managementbonus were average, vacation time average, do have the ability to leave for family function if need be.

Unprofessionally managed at all levels

Manager (Former Employee)
    Portales, NM

Prosif you are a laid back person, and ended up at DFA , you can work for many years without worrying about working hard. Do not worry if things go wrong or you make a lot of mistakes and cause damages to the company , nobody will say a word or do anything to fix it. They offer bonus $7000/year . As a laid back person , you are qualified to get the bonus and %2 salary increase every year.

ConsYou have to be with the company 7 years to get 15 days yearly vacation. Usually DFA plants are in the middle of nowhere. So , you spend your vacation days on the road to get to a major airport. No training opportunities are offered. Very low start up salaries. Performance reviews are joke since the managers are very incompetent ; they really do not have a lot to say to you for your future career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your hiring process, do not hire people because who are somebody else`s friend or relatives. Hire the people based on their qualifications.
    To attract qualified people to your company offer above the national salaries at the areas you have plants in the middle of nowhere ; otherwise you will stuck with the local workforce. Add other incentives and benefits to keep the qualified people with the company.

The strangest place I've ever worked at.

Laborer (Former Employee)
    Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsDecent pay, interesting work, nice co-workers, clean environment. With a few changes, or going back to the way they used to run the plant this could be a really nice place to work.

ConsI don't think you get true facts from upper management. Upper management saying in meetings "we" have to work weekends when "they" get to stay home. 12 hour shifts to cover call offs. Lots of working weekends in summer. If you want off on a scheduled weekend they make you use vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect peoples need for time off to spend with family.

Good company

Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee)
    Schulenburg, TX

ProsPlenty of overtime and decent pay starting off

ConsFuture outlook is very dim

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your ways of hiring and look for younger people. Most of the people working there are over 50 years old

Ok company

Production (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsSteady job, ok benefits, good people

ConsQa&c and corporate is terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up

Solid Company

Springfield, MO

ProsProfessional culture. Management is continuously seeking areas to improve processes and resources.

ConsNot a lot of opportunity for advancement..

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within for supervisory and management positions.

Working Environment

ProsWork load is acceptable. In my department time off is easily granted. Not so much for operations.

ConsBecoming your typical american corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementExemplify the Golden Rule!

Worked for Dairy Farmers of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dairy Farmers of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dairy Farmers of America CEO Rick Smith. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Dairy Farmers of America employees.