Dairy Queen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor

John Gainor

Pros
  • Making ice cream is fun and I get to ask off for whatever days I need off from work(in 46 reviews)

• great team work experience, flexible hours, good for high school/college students(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers and management don't realize you work for minimum wage and expect too much(in 21 reviews)

• customers are rough when it comes to ice cream(in 19 reviews)

Small staff so summers are hard, but winters are easy.

Shift Leader (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTips
    Slow and easy winters
    Fun
    time off

Conssmall staff
    difficult summers
    Lots of memorizing

Wasn't the worst, but not good either...

Team Member (Former Employee)

Pros-learning how to make blizzards, smoothies, dilly bars, etc.
    -handled money/learned how to use register

Cons-I had to close the store because I only got night shifts
    -my shifts were always cut because they didn't need many team members and had too many
    -training was three days which sounds like it would be enough but after 5 months, I still had no idea how to make some of the products because no one trained me to do them

Legendairy

Executive Technician (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsFree food, lots of opportunity to move up in company, great experience! The tips are nice too depending on how hard you work for them!

ConsThe pay isn't the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if there would have been an HR person I could confide in at difficult moments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One small leap..

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsThis is where I started my first job during my first year at college. Training was standard, you learn measurements of certain things and how to cook burgers, chicken, french fries, basic american food and also how to form balls of ice cream on a cone - the "DQ" way. I got out after two weeks. A bit more prestigious than Mcdonalds (I definitely choose an Oreo Blizzard over an Oreo Mcflurry) but the same fast food culture. I met alot of wonderful people and made friends along the way, and after a year I got promoted to Shift Supervisor with a dollar raise and more responsibility. It was a great way to start my career: I learned how to organize, take charge of inventory, communicate with coworkers as well as customers, handle complaints, lead my team and increase my skill set and confidence to move on after a year. I now work in hospitality and I know I wouldn't have been able to make that huge leap if it wasn't for my DQ boss or this company, and the things I have learned here.

ConsHungry customers are usually rude, long time on your feet, back aches after laborious tasks such as sweeping, mopping and other cleanings that need to be done, will be extremely busy in summer or extremely slow in winter, its never fun to restock items you just restocked, you run out of things to do in the winter, you never run out of things to do in the summer, people leave trash everywhere when the trash can is only two feet away, and always be careful with the register money.

As an employer, DQ offers many worth-while opportunities to people with a variety of skillsets.

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

ProsThe DQ franchise offers a ton of support and the resources necessary for someone seeking opportunity to succeed. When you join the DQ "Team", it's truly a collective between franchisees and their Management and crew, Business Consultants, Territory Operators (where applicable) and the various divisions of American Dairy Queen support (Marketing, Concept Evolution, training, etc...) I am a small fish in a very large school, and yet if support is needed regarding a matter over which I have specific interest, I can reach out to specific people and know that I'll receive attention. And in instances where an answer is not readily available, I know whomever I directed my questions to will get me the answer I need in a timely manner.

ConsIt is difficult to create a culture of "creating smiles and stories" if the entire organization isn't on the same page, with the same passion. It takes a village, they say, and in order for any individual DQ store to succeed, the culture within it must be - in every way - about creating smiles and stories. Given that minimum wage is the norm for Crew, incentives programs are important, but may not be effective if not consistently followed. Competent and passionate management is key; no one wants to work with someone who doesn't support positive culture.

Retail is a tough gig. The benefits are not always there, and salaries should be based on competence, merit, drive and team-building skills - not necessarily longevity.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage the people, not the task. Make sure the expression of genuine appreciation of crew, shift leaders, the management team and ownership is commonplace. Treat customers as if they were your favorite person on earth, and mean it. Get dirty sometimes - work the line, mop a floor now and then. Train well and retrain often, but make sure you recognize those looking to just get through training and those looking to learn more. Have relevant policies in place for every eventuality.

Family

Worst working conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay

cooking here sucks

Cook (Current Employee) Portland, ME

Prosthe people you work with are ok

Constheres so much wrong with this place. the owner is a walking lawsuit

Advice to Senior Managementclean up your acts

Don't eat the food!

Cook (Current Employee) Pleasant Hill, CA

Prosall the fries and soda you can get your hands on

Conscrappy pay, terrible bosses and poor food quality (its been on the floor)

Advice to Senior Managementget off your posterier and help your workers, barking at them doesnt get the food made any faster.

Its Ok

Grill Cook (Current Employee) Waco, TX

ProsIts on ok place sometimes the team is great depending on who you work with.

ConsThey were highly unprofessional the supervisors need supervisors because they feel they can do and say anything they want as long as it gets the job done fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick better management.

No pay, crap company, don't care about store employees

Cashier (Former Employee) Wheeling, WV

ProsFlexible work schedule, some training, get to be around ice cream and sugary fun treats, air conditioned work environment

ConsHorrible pay, company does not care about employees, company works employees to death in understaffed store locations and pays them 200$ every two weeks - ridiculous

Advice to Senior Managementpay employees a real livable wage

Worked for Dairy Queen? Contribute to the Community!