Dairy Queen Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor
John Gainor

Pros
  • Coworkers were fun to be around, salary was negotiable, nearly free food/ice cream (in 54 reviews)

• great team work experience, flexible hours, good for high school/college students (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers and management don't realize you work for minimum wage and expect too much (in 25 reviews)

• customers are rough when it comes to ice cream (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Dairy Queen - Amherst, Ohio

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time

Pros

Competitive Pay.
    Great People to Work With.
    Exceptional Supervisors.
    Flexible Hours.

Cons

Lots of Info, but in order to succeed at this job you need to know your products.

Great experiences, great workers, interesting corporation

I have been working at Dairy Queen

Pros

My boss and coworkers were the best. And the work isn't terrible hard and is easy to learn. Very nice entry level job.

Cons

Over worked. Under paid. Corporation constantly making changes and trying to have control over the franchises. They run and control a lot of things for having very little to do with the day to day. They can be helpful if you get the right person, but there's a lot of covering their own backs first.

Keep doing what youre doing, don't let the corporation ruin this wonderful business.

This is a great job to have in the summer, but once the fall/winter starts, you should consider getting a second job.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Before I worked at Dairy Queen I was extremely shy, but now I have a lot more confidence and I have really opened up. This job can be fun because usually, you are working with people your own age and that live around your area, and you can communicate and work with them really well. In the summer, I was working almost 40 hours a week, and I made a lot of money. Extremely flexible with the schedule.

Cons

Unfair treatment from manager, shift leaders. In the winter, you get hardly any hours and business is VERY slow, it's very boring to work in the winter. I was not trained properly, I kind of figured everything out on my own..and from my fellow crew members' help.

Working there

Former Employee - Staff in Westerville, OH
    Former Employee - Staff in Westerville, OH

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with great coworkers and learning how to take and make orders was fun. People were nice and hours were good.

Cons

The customers were sometimes rude and closing was hard when they came 15 min before close. if we were slow, then it was just wiping down counters constantly.

Teaches great values of crew membership and working together and every one pushing each other to perform at their best!

Current Employee - Team Member in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work around your availability for hours very well. Give many opportunities to receive pay raises. Flexible and understand when it comes to personal issues regarding your work life and home life. Every one is friendly and you get to know the customers that come in on the regular

Cons

Scheduling manager gets schedules and day sheets mixed up a lot so it can be often that you will be called into work thinking it is your day off.

Work on schedule management better and try to leave better notes for General Manager to see so all employees can be benefited and get good opportunities for raises and noticed for their hard work.

Fun place to work.

Current Employee - Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard in Spring, TX

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (less than an year)

Pros

eat ice cream almost everyday. Good job to start at.

Cons

little pay, and you can get cold easily :P

Dairy Queen!

I have been working at Dairy Queen

Pros

fun environment
    easy to manage if you like fast paced work
    Tips were amazing
    Customers are friendly and like to talk for the most part

Cons

Fast paced at times
    The same thing almost everyday
    The one I worked at closed during the winter

it was a really fast paced enviroment

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the only perks were half off food and easy to get time off

Cons

poor training poor management horrible staff no one wanted to work and would only work you 30 hours a week because if you worked over that they would have to offer youtohealth care and are really cheap and don't care about their employees

advice to management would be to get off your butts and stop stealing money from the employees tills and help your employees when they are getting slammed and are by them selves they can't expo food or ice cream when they have 20 customers waiting to order their food

Work environment was laid back and usually fun (sometime dramatic), but there was no employee recognition at all.

Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Ottawa, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Ottawa, KS

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, flexible schedule, easily able to switch shifts with others or ask off for important events

Cons

Low pay (even after a long period of employment), occasionally dramatic work environment, no room for advancement (I worked here for four years, and we never promoted anyone--this location had no shift leaders, only the owner, two managers, and everyone else).

You should reward your best employees, and not tolerate some of the immature, unprofessional I witnessed from some of worst ones. Also, employee discounts--even 10% would be nice.

Dairy Queen of Homestead

Former Employee - Hospitality in Homestead, FL
    Former Employee - Hospitality in Homestead, FL

I worked at Dairy Queen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The restaurant is built beautifully, friendly staff, always there to accommodate you. Excellent cake decorators.

Cons

The management is on the rocks. As the crew consists of all female employees and two male employees, there is constant bickering among the lot. I myself am not apart of the arguing, but I do feel bullied by the 'in crowd', which consists of the two head managers and their closest friends who work there.

Do not expect to move up in promotions quickly no matter what they say, I worked there quite a while and a girl who came after me got the promotion, I suspect because she is in with management. She specialized in one area whereas I was diligent in multiple areas.

If you don't like a grade school working environment than I assure you this job is not for you.

Stop with the fighting amongst each other and do your job.