Dairy Queen Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.5

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor
John Gainor

Pros
  • Coworkers were fun to be around, salary was negotiable, nearly free food/ice cream (in 54 reviews)

• great team work experience, flexible hours, good for high school/college students (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers and management don't realize you work for minimum wage and expect too much (in 25 reviews)

• customers are rough when it comes to ice cream (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Busy

Current Employee - Crew Member in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexiable schedule, great staff, half price food. The free ice cream. The friendly atmosphere. Dairy queen is a great starting job.

Cons

working at dairy queen can be a pain due to how much people come in, Usually you are by your self and there are endless amount of orders coming in, its extremely stressful.

Be more friendly

My experience as a customer was so great that I wanted to work at Dairy Queen.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the ice cream and the variety. Ice cream makes everyone happy.

Cons

Not enough team building to strengthen the crew. I had to work here three years just to get minimum wage.

Terrible manager

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time

Pros

fellow employees are easy to work with

Cons

time sheet never ready so you don't have a clue when you will work

consider the ability to move up the latter a 2 year employee is payed the same as a first week employee

Working at the Blizzard Factory

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment and free food at the store I worked at. Always had a good time. Flexible hours along with good break time. Was able to study for my college courses when the store was slow.

Cons

Rush hours could be quite busy. Especially when mix machines would stop working. There really isn't any promotion or advancement opportunities. But that makes sense when it's a very small business.

Be sure to spend more time in the store.

Entry Level Job

Former Employee - Front of House
    Former Employee - Front of House

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The obvious pro is that you're working with ice cream (given that you are not a cook). At my location, the manager was pretty laid back and let us do our own thing, as long as the job was getting done and we were being responsible.

Cons

VERY few tips because customers don't realize that fast food workers work just as hard, if not more, than a basic waitress. You are dealing with brain-dead customers all day, the ice cream can get a little messy at times and there's no room for growth in the company.

Food Server

Current Employee - Food and DQ Maker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Food and DQ Maker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Workers are friendly and you get a chance to get to now them. You get free food during your shift.

Cons

It can get very busy at times, learning how to make all products takes a while, things can get messy, cleaning is a difficult process especially after a long shift, minimum wage job, have to deal with rude customers at times.

My manager was very nice.

It was a cluster of good and bad

Former Employee - Chill Staff
    Former Employee - Chill Staff

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Decent pay ($8 an hour for my first job)
    -Nice coworkers
    -Mostly good managers

Cons

-The General Manager didn't really listen for schedule requests. I was always given the same schedule for the most part, and always having to work my day around that shift (try going to freshman orientation for 7 hours then going home and going straight to work for 4 hours). One time I requested for two days off and I got the same schedule and the manager actually asked me if I ever wrote it in. Then he checks and saw I actually did.
    -If you work the later shifts and you're over 18, one manager basically told you that "I know the schedule says you get off at this time, but that doesn't mean you go home at that time." What's the point of having closers then?
    -One manager in particular would ask what time you were getting off (usually for late shifts) and then last minute haggle you to stay longer. One time I was supposed to get off at midnight, and at 11:45 this manager is haggling me to stay until 12:30. I have no car so I was like "my ride is coming" and he basically said to call my ride and ask to stay until 12:30.
    -If they fired someone, they never had anyone cover their remaining shifts. When late night rush comes and you only have 3 people instead of 4, it really kills your time at getting the food out. The worst is when they fired a person early in the week. Because of the absence of the fired employee, you were expected to stay late if need be, sometimes up to two hours (I didn't have to personally, but it happened to some of my coworkers) after a shift.
    -When you worked 6 or more hours, you didn't always get the half hour break you're entitled to in the handbook. They also weren't clear if you got a break for less than 6 hours (the minimum hours for someone 18+ is 5 hours, so some managers gave it to you and others said you didn't need one).

Listen to schedule requests and let people off on time. It's one thing for them get off 15 minutes late, it's another for an hour late.

Good Company, Limited Advancement Opportunities

Former Employee - General Manager in Copperas Cove, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Copperas Cove, TX

I worked at Dairy Queen as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The owners were very attentive to the needs of the managers. Enjoyed the customers. I had a strong and loyal work crew.

Cons

Low pay, Lack of Manager Training, Lack of Advancement, District Manager was not supportive. DM did not keep up with industry standards. DM wasn't flexible

Provide Management Training. Pay raise reviews. Manager support

Working at Dairy Queen was tiresome and horrible.

Former Employee - Front Line/CashierCashier and Drive Thru in Odem, TX
    Former Employee - Front Line/CashierCashier and Drive Thru in Odem, TX

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They're not strict about over time.

Cons

Favoritism in employees rude coworkers only get a break if you're going to eat.

Be nice to new employees and get to know them.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Customer Service in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than an year)

Pros

made friends, helped community get ice cream

Cons

high schoolers job, don't work here after that

advise workers