Dairy Queen

Updated January 31, 2015
3.5

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor
John Gainor

Pros
  • Coworkers were fun to be around, salary was negotiable, nearly free food/ice cream (in 59 reviews)

• great team work experience, flexible hours, good for high school/college students (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers and management don't realize you work for minimum wage and expect too much (in 27 reviews)

• You're around ice cream all day, and it's really easy to put on 10 lbs over the summer (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

great

Current Employee - Team Member in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than a year)

Pros

pay is very good for college students and high school students. fun atmosphere and great customers

Cons

there isnt any that i can think of

Dairy Queen - Amherst, Ohio

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time

Pros

Competitive Pay.
    Great People to Work With.
    Exceptional Supervisors.
    Flexible Hours.

Cons

Lots of Info, but in order to succeed at this job you need to know your products.

Great experiences, great workers, interesting corporation

I have been working at Dairy Queen

Pros

My boss and coworkers were the best. And the work isn't terrible hard and is easy to learn. Very nice entry level job.

Cons

Over worked. Under paid. Corporation constantly making changes and trying to have control over the franchises. They run and control a lot of things for having very little to do with the day to day. They can be helpful if you get the right person, but there's a lot of covering their own backs first.

Keep doing what youre doing, don't let the corporation ruin this wonderful business.

This is a great job to have in the summer, but once the fall/winter starts, you should consider getting a second job.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Before I worked at Dairy Queen I was extremely shy, but now I have a lot more confidence and I have really opened up. This job can be fun because usually, you are working with people your own age and that live around your area, and you can communicate and work with them really well. In the summer, I was working almost 40 hours a week, and I made a lot of money. Extremely flexible with the schedule.

Cons

Unfair treatment from manager, shift leaders. In the winter, you get hardly any hours and business is VERY slow, it's very boring to work in the winter. I was not trained properly, I kind of figured everything out on my own..and from my fellow crew members' help.

Supervisor

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time

Pros

Good training, they make sure you know what you are doing before you are put full force into the work environment. flexible with time off. encouragement for smooth processes.

Cons

Although they desire smooth processes to ensure orders are fullfilled quickly and correctly the execution of this is often weak due to the establishment being understaffed (in an order to save labor costs). Not much opportunity for raises.

listen to feedback form employees

It sucked.

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Concord, CA

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with, and I met my boyfriend there. I got discounts on ice cream.

Cons

I had to clean the entire store at night when there were two people there because all the other workers were slow and incompetent. All the ice cream machines were old and the ice cream came out so slowly.

Average Fast Food Place

Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Ennis, MT
    Current Employee - Cashier/Cook in Ennis, MT

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free ice cream and food!

Cons

You gain weight and people get really cranky about their ice cream.

Be managers. Every place I've worked lacked oversight.

it was a really fast paced enviroment

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the only perks were half off food and easy to get time off

Cons

poor training poor management horrible staff no one wanted to work and would only work you 30 hours a week because if you worked over that they would have to offer youtohealth care and are really cheap and don't care about their employees

advice to management would be to get off your butts and stop stealing money from the employees tills and help your employees when they are getting slammed and are by them selves they can't expo food or ice cream when they have 20 customers waiting to order their food

Work environment was laid back and usually fun (sometime dramatic), but there was no employee recognition at all.

Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Ottawa, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier/FOH in Ottawa, KS

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, flexible schedule, easily able to switch shifts with others or ask off for important events

Cons

Low pay (even after a long period of employment), occasionally dramatic work environment, no room for advancement (I worked here for four years, and we never promoted anyone--this location had no shift leaders, only the owner, two managers, and everyone else).

You should reward your best employees, and not tolerate some of the immature, unprofessional I witnessed from some of worst ones. Also, employee discounts--even 10% would be nice.

Fun place to work.

Current Employee - Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard in Spring, TX

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time (less than a year)

Pros

eat ice cream almost everyday. Good job to start at.

Cons

little pay, and you can get cold easily :P