Dakota County

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014
2.7

CEO

Great place to work and live.

I have been working at Dakota County full-time

Pros

Personal growth, ahead of the curve

Cons

Compensation is on the conservative side

Wescott Library is a Difficult Place to Work

Former Employee - Shelver in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Shelver in Eagan, MN

I worked at Dakota County part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most co-workers were friendly and helpful. The library is bright and sunny. The library has good hours for workers.

Cons

As a library shelver, you are essentially a temp. You can only work 14 hours a week and you get absolutely no benefits. No vacation, no holiday pay (even when your regularly work on the day a holiday falls on), no health insurance, etc. You are not allowed to participate in health and wellness programs or training or classes. You are not included in department or team meetings nor are you included in department or team social events even when they take place during work hours and are held in the same space you are working. The pay is extremely low. Most retail jobs pay more. Mostly you shelve books for three to four hours at a time. I quickly started seeing the effects of repetitive stress in my hands and shoulders. The supervisors watch you work, but never help. They also conduct "secret" checks of your work. You must record every cart of books you take out in a notebook and your statistics are measured. It is a very oppressive environment. You are sometimes asked to do regular "real" employee's work when they get busy, but they will never help you when you are busy.

The children's section -- where at least 65% of the work is done is like a McDonald's Play Land with books instead of Happy Meals. Kids run wild, screaming and throwing things. The parents ignore them as do the regular staff. It's almost impossible to shelve when the library is open. I asked to adjust my hours so I could work before opening, but was told no. Management avoids the Children's Section when the library is open and even the Children's Librarian Desk isn't in there.

Make shelvers regular part-time circulation employees. Pay at least $12.50 per hour. Let them earn vacation pay and give holiday pay if they regularly work the day a holiday falls on. Rotate the shelving work among ALL library staff so no one gets repetitive stress injuries. It also will help all staff see how difficult a job it can be. Make it a priority to have most staff shelve in Children's when the library is closed. Move the Children's librarian into the Children's section. Remove the playground equipment in children's section and set behavior expectations for parents and children. Then enforce the rules.

bad place to work and advancement

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance in Hastings, MN
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance in Hastings, MN

I worked at Dakota County full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

understaffed and workload is not able to be done on time

they need to hire more workers

Fine

Former Employee - Tobacco Compliance Checker in Farmington, MN
    Former Employee - Tobacco Compliance Checker in Farmington, MN

I worked at Dakota County as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy, age appropriate, very friendly. Not long employment, so there isn't much to say.

Cons

Very rare occurrences, not much else to say. The job was kind of uncomfortable for someone so young.