Daktronics Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
3.4

Daktronics President, CEO, and Director Jim Morgan
Jim Morgan

Pros
  • Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education (in 5 reviews)

• Good people on the floor, great product, exciting to see all the applications (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number (in 4 reviews)

• Slow to react to some changes, lower pay in industry, no commissions (maybe a pro for some) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture.

I worked at Daktronics

Pros

Benefits really great. Christmas time off wonderful if you save your PTO to get paid. Very friendly people to work with. Great opportunities for most departments (outside of manufacturing) to work from home. World wide, and recognized as top in their industry.

Cons

Life balance can be hard at times. Does not take in consideration overall experience, and focuses mostly on the degree earned.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Sales  in  Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Sales in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for college grads. Internship is gateway to full time offer. Diverse experience. Young workers given advanced experience and responsibilities.

Cons

Benefits are good for young, healthy workers. A lot of out-of-pocket if you are sick or have a family. Too much focus on process, not enough on being the industry leader.

Don't forget what put us on top in the first place. Lead the industry and don't let internal bloat bog us down.

Student position was favorite job I have had so far.

Former Employee - Human Resources Student  in  Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Human Resources Student in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun relaxed atmosphere, daily work and projects were presented clearly, got to work on projects and daily work that I felt really applied to my career goals, pay increases from course increments were great (really offset the low base pay, the increments can really add up for students who work there for multiple years). This experience has helped me get opportunities at a lot of big companies after my graduation.

Cons

Base pay was low and also seemed low for FT employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's been a pleasure to work for Daktronics.

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The flexibility of working from home, friendly local co-workers, regional leadership cares about moral.

Cons

Lower pay in industry (but perks can make-up for what is lost in pay), large global company with a small town mind set (Corporate executives seem to think inside of the box which has cost us some major projects to inferior competitors), too much turn-around.

Please go outside of SD to find executives that can encompass a better vision for the direction of the company. Stop with the nepotism when filling key decision making positions.

Excellent student opportunities available

Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student  in  Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Daktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

Cons

The one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Continue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.

Opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly culture, helpful co-workers, plenty of opportunities to advance yourself and your career if you apply yourself. Also a lot of ability to transfer internally to other positions if you feel that your work is becoming stagnant.

Cons

Too much middle management, very poor training, lack of adequate compensation tends to push out good employees, causing a high turnover rate.

Develop job specific training, allow employees to make more decisions, increase compensation for high-performing employees.

Good opportunities for international students in USA.

Current Employee - Student Engineer  in  Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Student Engineer in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible timings for student employees, great platform for international students to learn the american work culture.

Cons

Rate of conversion to being a full time employee is close to zero.

Great student employment experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics as an intern for more than a year

Pros

College student employees are given a large amount of responsibility, which provides a lot of good work experience.

Cons

Poor management and no opportunity for upward movement within the company. The vast majority of position changes within the company are lateral movements.

Don't allow just anyone to become a manager. Ensure that your "managers" actually have managerial capabilities before allowing them to oversee 5-10 employees.

Great experience as a student employee

I have been working at Daktronics

Pros

Was able to get a lot of hands on engineering experience even as a student. Got to work with a lot of engineers in different fields.

Cons

There should be more communication between management and students to see what kind of experience the student is looking for

Lots of things going on

Former Employee - Hardware Design  in  Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Hardware Design in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A variety of interesting projects to work on and a very visible product. They seemed very interested in improving employee skills and giving more responsibility when you're ready for it.

Cons

Brookings is a fairly quiet little town. Housing is rather expensive due to SDSU and compensation is on the lower end of the scale.

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!