Daktronics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daktronics President, CEO, and Director Jim Morgan

Jim Morgan

Pros
  • Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education(in 5 reviews)

• Good people on the floor, great product, exciting to see all the applications(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number(in 4 reviews)

• Slow to react to some changes, lower pay in industry, no commissions (maybe a pro for some)(in 4 reviews)

Daktronics treats people like machines and they enjoy having a lot of turnover out on the floor.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Brookings, SD

ProsDaktronics has very good benefits and there are a lot of interesting people that work there, but it is still a depressing place because these nice people are all paid low and not given enough recognition, so the morale is always low out on the floor.

ConsUpper management needs to appreciate the entry level managers (crew leaders) more and compensate them better. They are the ones driving morale and efficiency on the production line. They are held to a high standard when it comes to policies, but they are only paid .75 more than an assembly worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to appreciate the entry level managers (crew leaders) more and compensate them better. They are the ones driving morale and efficiency on the production line. They are held to a high standard when it comes to policies, but they are only paid .75 more than an assembly worker.

Company is ran by engineers with no business sense.

Electronic Technician (Former Employee)

ProsA pay check but you will probably need a second job to pay the bills.

ConsLow pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap your HR department and hire some managers that are not engineers.

Lost Their Way

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsLots of good people that work in front line positions at the company, interesting industry, and a useful learning opportunity.

ConsLargely disorganized management and customer service, lack of ethics, arrogant leadership with no regard for others, be they customers, shareholders, or employees. Inadequate and unequal pay for like work, terrible Human Resources and customer service departments. Lack of consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat new-school management style looks terrible on you, as a company. It will take many years for the company to recover from the damage you're doing to Daktronics. Take a hard look at yourselves, recent changes in policies and procedures (or lack of observance of said policies), and accept that your loss of customer base is due to your own failures. You can't keep blaming your losses on your competitors' success, when it's you who've lost your way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

steer clear of here

Manufacturing (Current Employee) Brookings, SD

Pros+nice community
    +friendly labor force
    +clean,well maintained facility
    +convenient location on interstate
    +exciting,interesting product
    +well known in its industry

Cons-lacking in ethics and morals
    -labor force treated extremely poorly
    -wage not even close to local cost of living
    -HR dept disorganized,and inefficient-too many personal agendas
    -middle and upper mgmt could care less about the labor force
    -no advancement opportunities for labor force
    -way too many people sitting in offices with no apparent function
    -no longer the area's top employer for labor due to the poor treatment of the workforce
    -if you dont have a college degree or are not enrolled in the local college,you're expendable
    -no family involvement allowed-no company gatherings for families at all
    -very low,if any,raises or incentives
    -corporate greed is management's only driving force
    -labor force is required to do the engineering function,so the engineering staff can claim the reward
    -the least qualified people are put in charge of production functions,at a company loss
    -first line supervision is very ineffective,and overstaffed
    -management at all levels is very arrogant,and detattched from the workforce
    -most administrative errors are taken out on the labor force
    -no managerial accountability at all-the labor force is always guilty
    -the most experienced laborers are dismissed to make room so interning students can have a desk
    -original core values have been totally abandoned

Advice to Senior Managementthere used to be a waiting list of people trying to get into daktronics,not so long ago.but now they are just a building full of laborers waiting for thier next job to call them with an offer.this is sad,because there is so much potential there that management refuses to agknowledge.I know that the founders did not intend this to be the case.your company has failed its community,and has become the laughing stock of the workforce.workers around your area are talking to each other about it .with the upcoming industrial growth in the area happening,do you really think you'll be able to stay? no matter how much money you throw at this upcoming dilema,you will soon find out that you cant buy loyalty.maybe you should give in to a hostile takeover so your entire management can be replaced with a competent one

I had worked at Daktronics for 5 years

Software Developer (Former Employee) Brookings, SD

ProsEdge-cutting software and good computers
    Flexible work hours if work as student

ConsOne of the worst companies I have worked for. The headquarters are located in Brookings, SD which is a very cold, small college town. The site for the headquarters is probably purposely selected by a big engineering college where no other engineer jobs are available. As a student you are exploited at Daktronics doing work of full-time engineer for $8 per hour without any benefits or bonuses. During school you will be working 20 hours and during summer you will be forced to work 40 hours and will be pushed really hard. 80% of work at Daktronics is done by students. You will be always told how good you work and how they want you but at the same time you will be jokily reminded that you are a student and will continue working as a slave for nothing. There is a lot of red tape at Daktronics. All your activities are constantly monitored to make sure that you work all the time and don't check you email. Your supervisor will be breathing behind you often to make sure you work really hard. Also by some reason you don't like to tell you that you by law allowed to take two 15 minutes paid breaks. If you ask them if you are allowed to take those breaks, they will say that you work on computer in a relaxed environment, so you kind of don't need those.

When you are about to graduate the following will happen: if they don't want you, they will not offer you job saying something like they have no positions available. If you worked really hard reminding often how you love them, they will give you an offer with a laughable salary. Even after working really hard for them for 5 years, to a software engineer, going 5 years to university and studying really hard, they may offer salary lower than a truck driver makes in SD. Many people leave the company as soon as they graduate. There are few who decided to stay and later on, 8 years later, they quit barely making $50K for hard engineering work.

My personal experience with the company wasn't good. When I just started I was really happy to do software engineering and I was getting lots of experience. After a while when you get experience working there is hell. You know you are doing really skilled high paying work but you get paid really really low. You also get really stressed at some times. After the graduation I rejected the offer from Daktronics and got an offer from a different company that I never worked for before. The new company offered me 2.5 more than what Daktronics offered after 5 years of hard work, plus amazing benefits and bonuses. Working here comparing to Daktronics is like in paradise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees.

LABORERS, Stay Clear from Daktronics

Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) Redwood Falls, MN

ProsThey are always hiring in Redwood Falls, MN. It's not to difficult to get a laborer position. They will take anyone, literally.

ConsThe pay is digustingly low for the laborer, especially for those who don't even have a GED. Daktronics will pay the same hourly rate for the laborer who has an extensive education versus no education. They struggle to help those financially who want to pursue an education and work at different locations wherever the company exists in America. The education program they offer will be reimbursed if you continue to work for them, but it takes them FOREVER to pay it back to you.
    How is that possible?

Advice to Senior ManagementDay Shift Management in the Final Department: Don't take comments personally. Your excessive actions on those when one or many voice their comments strongly is not necessary. You tend to look into peoples comments too deeply.

Night Shift Management: Keep on doing what is necessary to be successful. If you can figure out a way to provide a better pay for the highly educated individual(s) versus experience then congratulations. At least you are willing to explore that area versus the Day Time Shift.

Great for students

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Learn real world experiences with opportunities to be mentored by front-line employees
    - Always encouraging learning
    - Student incentives for applicable classes
    - Flexible work schedule (depending on the position)
    - Variability in work assignments, ability to apply internally for different positions
    - Global company (travelling possible)
    - High visibility of products

Cons- Pay lower than average
    - After making money hand over fist, they continue to struggle since the downturn
    - Coaching out(passive or active) is more likely for current employees that need mentoring
    - Few leadership opportunities because of stagnant growth
    - Many aspects of culture are unprofessional (HR doesn't help either)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement/HR needs to connect more with employees - there is an impression of rule by fear. You aren't immune to mistakes yourselves, be willing to be vulnerable. Show a bit more love to your employees than investors for a time - both will thank you, one over time. Don't delegate employee recognition - make it personal.

Machine Operator

ProsSteady hours, farmed out to other sections if no work

ConsRepetitive and boring, low pay.

Poor experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, solid technology, good work-life balance for those who are living in the Brookings community, smart employees and good visibility of products in marketplace.

ConsThere are many good points for this company and I think that they make a great product. Like many organizations that are working through lean turn-arounds as they are seeking operational improvement. Like other new staff, I came in the doors excited and seeking to add value but quickly discouraged as I found a disingenuous and cynical working environment. Unfortunately, information was sometimes shirked or not clearly explained.

(Disclaimer) I had a poor experience and maybe that is simply unique to me. I would like to state that this company is very siloed; leading to poor communication between departments. In addition, I found the work environment to be a low trust environment often leading to confusion and frustration with technocrats advancing through the corporate structure. As I have heard from others, your fit into this organization might simply depend upon which department you are able to find an opportunity in.

For new individuals seeking to succeed in this organization, I would suggest on day 1 trying to build alliances with a mentor who can help you with your training to come on-board. Like many engineering organizations, they are heavy in colloquialisms and tribal knowledge of tools with little (if any) explanation or their origin or use.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs I am sure that you may be aware there is opportunities for improvement with many of the tools and resources that you have available. I found using your online learning tools were either a hit or a miss and were often not very user friendly. Making language and instructions user friendly will pay dividends as new users will rely less upon other staff to learn how to do their roles in house.

been pushing street peeps into technical or engineer position if they favor you

Electronic Technician (Former Employee)

Prosthey at least pay you

ConsInsourced Engineers feed on the brains of technical employees and students especially out-sourced technicans or tradesmen with independent degrees and when they think they are done with you the attitudes change. Anti-family, follows attrition to the tee, low pay and low raises, poor management and naive filled HR department, with co-workers that conspire against others and their positions and drama runs rampent highly toxic. Best just not talk to anyone when you work there as you must watch your back at all times and protect your arse, highly favorized company and most likely hires people thru employee channels of the employees they favor. Does not know how to implement their culture and managment is paper thin and the pipeline is heavy on micro managment. Daktronics as a company feel is like a bad relationship if you have an outside degree and gives the people the impression they are always going broke and they complain all the time about money to add on top what they will not give you for a raise which is compounded by false accusations, they will seemingly try everything they can to make you look like you are not worthy and dock your raise. They offer no interaction with employees, they used to back in the day, now they just do not care.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have Level 3 technical peeps you need to pay them more than a newbie or greenhorn.
    Technology Technicals out of school or trades start now at 18 to 20+ an hour in South Dakota wake up Daktronics can not keep up with standards of living in Sioux Falls and is not competitive.

Worked for Daktronics? Contribute to the Community!