Dal-Tile

16 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellent salary and flexibility

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Salary is excellent, and it is very family oriented, so flexibility is available when you need to stay home with sick kids on occasion. Work load is good. Essentially no overtime required, which is rare for finance/accounting. Always looking to move people around and give promotions often.

Cons

Not much vacation time for many years. Definitely play the earnings management game and sometimes have questionable ethical reasoning. It helps to be in the "in" crowd.

Need finance people with more accounting knowledge.

The privileged overrule managers. Stress level is low to nonexistent.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The close customer contact, opportunity to be proactive. On good days, everyone is a contributor.

Cons

Lack of micro management, pay, few team players, discriminatory exercises

Don't fear confrontation. It takes a bold approach, correct improper work habits.

Revolving Door of Cheap College Grads

Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can get paid a decent salary for zero-to-minimal effort.

Cons

Benefits are bad, hiring process has taken a hit (in planning dept), lack of communication, knowledge levels are lacking, etc.

WAKE UP! There is a serious lack of technical skill in the planning department. Also, way too many people and not enough work. People watching movies, shopping, sleeping, etc. is a daily occurrence. Severely overpaid for what this department actually does. I would have everything done by 10 am every day with little or no extra. I would have to find things to do. Recommend you get trim down the amount of people in this dept. That way you can run lean and mean and afford to hire/keep people with technical skills that will actually stay and improve the company as a whole. Hiring salaried people who come in after 10 am and immediately bring out their iPad to watch movies (YES, this was a thing) is not acceptable. There is serious discontent in the planning department and I expect a mass exodus once people realize this. Of course, there are the usual people who don't mind stealing a pay check for minimal effort. Don't blame them. Bottom line: Too many people, not enough work to go around. This view is just from the planning dept. The best people in this dept move on quickly to other opportunities once they realize there is no way to move up.

Awesome Marketing Internship

Current Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Dal-Tile is great. I got the opportunity to work with various tasks. I learned marketing essentials that you don't experience in school. The internship program itself is very well structured and people really care about the interns. I like the trust that upper management had to allow me to help with their projects.

Cons

It may get a bit boring if there is nothing to do.

Very good place to work but has challenges

Former Contractor - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are highly valued & many have been there 20-25-30 years, Good products, Profitable Company. Solid Long-Term Company. Every year they have Employee Appreciation week with prizes, raffles, gifts etc. Really nice employee discount on all the flooring, carpet, & other products

Cons

Lots of bottle-necks on the IT side. Sales (a bunch of Muggles) runs things with demands that often create system/process compromises. Lots of major hacks to SAP and other systems. Many systems have "single point failures" because the knowledge is all in one person's head but that's true most places

DT is a big company heavily dependent on your enterprise systems for sales, distribution and manufacturing. It's time to start treating (funding & staffing) your implementations and IT department appropriately. You also need some outside blood infused into your processes and systems. While Sales is always going to wag the dog, make sure that they only give their requirements to IT, not dictate the solution.

"For The People. By The People"

Current Contractor - Contract Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Contract Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

As a Senior Technical Recruiter who has worked in both Corporate and Agency environments several aspects about Dal-Tile stood out amongst and against the other employers I was interviewing for.

1) I haven't passed anyone coming or going that didn't say hello or goodbye or that isn't kind to me.
    2) Management is patient, thoughtful, and willing to teach and train if needed.
    3) Leadership is approachable
    3) Work/Life balance exists
    4) Employee Appreciation exists

Cons

I'm not a permanent employee yet. (smile)

Keep on smiling, interacting, and shaking hands. Kindness and generosity in Corporate America is rare

I worked at Dal-Tile Headquarters in IS for 13 years

Former Employee - Applications Developer/Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer/Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The first 4 years were great. I started off as a Lotus Notes web application developer. I got a big promotion after my 1st year and had the best manager ever for the 1st six years. My salary increased by over 41% over 13 years. Our team eventually grew to a membership of 5. We had plenty of work and our team was trusted and well respected for the great accomplishments we made.

Cons

Dal-Tile was acquired by Mohawk Industries in 2003, just in the beginning of the 4th year with the company. Information Services was the 1st department to be put under Mohawk control, and my team was the 1st team to put under a Mohawk director. This and other changes caused many problems for Dal-Tile, and most of the Mohawk IT/IS management, including the CIO were asked to leave. However, the work-life balance and time-off policies were very good.

The management team talked about the importance of put associates on projects that matched their strengths and talent sets. However, this turned to be only talk. Instead they put people on projects were their was a shortage whether it was a good fit for your talents and strengths or not.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team Interaction, Excellent Knowledge and Experience.

Cons

Would of liked to have had a Permanent job; instead of Part-Time.

Good job environment, Business is still a bit traditional

Current Intern - ECommerce and Digital Media Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - ECommerce and Digital Media Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Job environment and friendly coworkers

Cons

Traditional way of running business

Great Company with a Future

Former Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company, Industry Leader, Future Growth

Cons

Leadership expertise and understanding of customer needs and values