Dal-Tile

John C. Turner, Jr.

Excellent salary and flexibility

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is excellent, and it is very family oriented, so flexibility is available when you need to stay home with sick kids on occasion. Work load is good. Essentially no overtime required, which is rare for finance/accounting. Always looking to move people around and give promotions often.

Cons

Not much vacation time for many years. Definitely play the earnings management game and sometimes have questionable ethical reasoning. It helps to be in the "in" crowd.

Need finance people with more accounting knowledge.

The privileged overrule managers. Stress level is low to nonexistent.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The close customer contact, opportunity to be proactive. On good days, everyone is a contributor.

Cons

Lack of micro management, pay, few team players, discriminatory exercises

Don't fear confrontation. It takes a bold approach, correct improper work habits.

Look elsewhere,but if you desperate,take it.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Madison, WI

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mmmm......it's a paycheck. Some great people at this company and all feel the same way.

Cons

Benefits are awful. They used to be very good, used to have profit shareing. Did I mention the benefits are garbage and expensive.

Get rid of the dead weight in upper management. Jeepers talk about doing nothing, it's not what you know, it's who u know.

Disappointed Former Employee

Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on what Region you are in....I loved working for Daltile.

Cons

I worked for Daltile in many entities for 22 years total. I gave them my life, heart, and soul. They gave me the boot. You have to be really careful with the new management team, they are only out for the almighty buck no matter the cost since they became a publicly trade company. In my years with Daltile I watched it turn in to caring for the employees to not caring at all. I have many awards and reviews from my years with Daltile and it only took one persons connections to get me fired.

Go back to caring about the employees that work so hard everyday to make Daltile what it is. Sometimes people go through stuff in their life;s and may not make the best decisions at the time, but consider the work history of the employee and base the decision of firing them or not on their history not on the moment. Make sure all Regions are on the same program and follow the same guidelines that are printed in the Employee Handbook.

Very good place to work.

Current Employee - Floor Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job security, remodels all year long.

Cons

Seasonal fluctuation in sales, slows in winter.

Work hard.

Revolving Door of Cheap College Grads

Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can get paid a decent salary for zero-to-minimal effort.

Cons

Benefits are bad, hiring process has taken a hit (in planning dept), lack of communication, knowledge levels are lacking, etc.

WAKE UP! There is a serious lack of technical skill in the planning department. Also, way too many people and not enough work. People watching movies, shopping, sleeping, etc. is a daily occurrence. Severely overpaid for what this department actually does. I would have everything done by 10 am every day with little or no extra. I would have to find things to do. Recommend you get trim down the amount of people in this dept. That way you can run lean and mean and afford to hire/keep people with technical skills that will actually stay and improve the company as a whole. Hiring salaried people who come in after 10 am and immediately bring out their iPad to watch movies (YES, this was a thing) is not acceptable. There is serious discontent in the planning department and I expect a mass exodus once people realize this. Of course, there are the usual people who don't mind stealing a pay check for minimal effort. Don't blame them. Bottom line: Too many people, not enough work to go around. This view is just from the planning dept. The best people in this dept move on quickly to other opportunities once they realize there is no way to move up.

Great Company, strange branch management. Could use an overhaul of decision makers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, pay, and benefits were great, most of the people were cool the corporate environment is interesting to say the least.

Cons

There were a lot of relatives working at this location, making the working environment hostile.

There seems to be little upward momentum potential in this field.

Leadership Blind to Serious Issues

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time

Pros

Great people that are fun to work with; good culture.
    On-stie Gym.

Cons

Unsafe location.
    Horrible Benefits.
    Incompetent leadership.
    Untrustworthy HR Department.

Dig deep into what is happening in the departments that are consistently expressing concerns.

Awesome Marketing Internship

Current Employee - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Dal-Tile is great. I got the opportunity to work with various tasks. I learned marketing essentials that you don't experience in school. The internship program itself is very well structured and people really care about the interns. I like the trust that upper management had to allow me to help with their projects.

Cons

It may get a bit boring if there is nothing to do.

Very good place to work but has challenges

Former Employee - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are highly valued & many have been there 20-25-30 years, Good products, Profitable Company. Solid Long-Term Company. Every year they have Employee Appreciation week with prizes, raffles, gifts etc. Really nice employee discount on all the flooring, carpet, & other products

Cons

Lots of bottle-necks on the IT side. Sales (a bunch of Muggles) runs things with demands that often create system/process compromises. Lots of major hacks to SAP and other systems. Many systems have "single point failures" because the knowledge is all in one person's head but that's true most places

DT is a big company heavily dependent on your enterprise systems for sales, distribution and manufacturing. It's time to start treating (funding & staffing) your implementations and IT department appropriately. You also need some outside blood infused into your processes and systems. While Sales is always going to wag the dog, make sure that they only give their requirements to IT, not dictate the solution.