Dal-Tile Reviews

John C. Turner, Jr.

Excellent salary and flexibility

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is excellent, and it is very family oriented, so flexibility is available when you need to stay home with sick kids on occasion. Work load is good. Essentially no overtime required, which is rare for finance/accounting. Always looking to move people around and give promotions often.

Cons

Not much vacation time for many years. Definitely play the earnings management game and sometimes have questionable ethical reasoning. It helps to be in the "in" crowd.

Need finance people with more accounting knowledge.

Very good place to work.

Current Employee - Floor Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good job security, remodels all year long.

Cons

Seasonal fluctuation in sales, slows in winter.

Work hard.

Revolving Door of Cheap College Grads

Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Material Planner in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can get paid a decent salary for zero-to-minimal effort.

Cons

Benefits are bad, hiring process has taken a hit (in planning dept), lack of communication, knowledge levels are lacking, etc.

WAKE UP! There is a serious lack of technical skill in the planning department. Also, way too many people and not enough work. People watching movies, shopping, sleeping, etc. is a daily occurrence. Severely overpaid for what this department actually does. I would have everything done by 10 am every day with little or no extra. I would have to find things to do. Recommend you get trim down the amount of people in this dept. That way you can run lean and mean and afford to hire/keep people with technical skills that will actually stay and improve the company as a whole. Hiring salaried people who come in after 10 am and immediately bring out their iPad to watch movies (YES, this was a thing) is not acceptable. There is serious discontent in the planning department and I expect a mass exodus once people realize this. Of course, there are the usual people who don't mind stealing a pay check for minimal effort. Don't blame them. Bottom line: Too many people, not enough work to go around. This view is just from the planning dept. The best people in this dept move on quickly to other opportunities once they realize there is no way to move up.

Great Company, strange branch management. Could use an overhaul of decision makers.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours, pay, and benefits were great, most of the people were cool the corporate environment is interesting to say the least.

Cons

There were a lot of relatives working at this location, making the working environment hostile.

There seems to be little upward momentum potential in this field.

Awesome Marketing Internship

Current Employee - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone at Dal-Tile is great. I got the opportunity to work with various tasks. I learned marketing essentials that you don't experience in school. The internship program itself is very well structured and people really care about the interns. I like the trust that upper management had to allow me to help with their projects.

Cons

It may get a bit boring if there is nothing to do.

Leadership Blind to Serious Issues

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time

Pros

Great people that are fun to work with; good culture.
    On-stie Gym.

Cons

Unsafe location.
    Horrible Benefits.
    Incompetent leadership.
    Untrustworthy HR Department.

Dig deep into what is happening in the departments that are consistently expressing concerns.

Very good place to work but has challenges

Former Employee - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - SAP Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are highly valued & many have been there 20-25-30 years, Good products, Profitable Company. Solid Long-Term Company. Every year they have Employee Appreciation week with prizes, raffles, gifts etc. Really nice employee discount on all the flooring, carpet, & other products

Cons

Lots of bottle-necks on the IT side. Sales (a bunch of Muggles) runs things with demands that often create system/process compromises. Lots of major hacks to SAP and other systems. Many systems have "single point failures" because the knowledge is all in one person's head but that's true most places

DT is a big company heavily dependent on your enterprise systems for sales, distribution and manufacturing. It's time to start treating (funding & staffing) your implementations and IT department appropriately. You also need some outside blood infused into your processes and systems. While Sales is always going to wag the dog, make sure that they only give their requirements to IT, not dictate the solution.

"For The People. By The People"

Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dal-Tile as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a Senior Technical Recruiter who has worked in both Corporate and Agency environments several aspects about Dal-Tile stood out amongst and against the other employers I was interviewing for.

1) I haven't passed anyone coming or going that didn't say hello or goodbye or that isn't kind to me.
    2) Management is patient, thoughtful, and willing to teach and train if needed.
    3) Leadership is approachable
    3) Work/Life balance exists
    4) Employee Appreciation exists

Cons

I'm not a permanent employee yet. (smile)

Keep on smiling, interacting, and shaking hands. Kindness and generosity in Corporate America is rare

Great Company, still needs improvements

Current Employee - Architectural Representative
    Current Employee - Architectural Representative

I have been working at Dal-Tile full-time

Pros

Really supports the ideals of teamwork to create local success. Diverse product line. Regional management is supportive. Company is growing and has a good future/outlook -- continuing to hire additional reps as a market dictates.

Cons

Recently has become even more "bottom-line", shareholder driven. Have felt over the last six months to a year a push from corporate -- that they're more informed on local markets than the employees working in those markets (who are talking to clients). Marketing seems to be ignoring field requests (based on actual customer feedback) in favor or anonymous customer surveys. Benefits have declined over the last year/year & a half.

Go back to allowing local markets to make appropriate business decisions.

I worked at Dal-Tile Headquarters in IS for 13 years

Former Employee - Applications Developer/Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer/Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dal-Tile full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The first 4 years were great. I started off as a Lotus Notes web application developer. I got a big promotion after my 1st year and had the best manager ever for the 1st six years. My salary increased by over 41% over 13 years. Our team eventually grew to a membership of 5. We had plenty of work and our team was trusted and well respected for the great accomplishments we made.

Cons

Dal-Tile was acquired by Mohawk Industries in 2003, just in the beginning of the 4th year with the company. Information Services was the 1st department to be put under Mohawk control, and my team was the 1st team to put under a Mohawk director. This and other changes caused many problems for Dal-Tile, and most of the Mohawk IT/IS management, including the CIO were asked to leave. However, the work-life balance and time-off policies were very good.

The management team talked about the importance of put associates on projects that matched their strengths and talent sets. However, this turned to be only talk. Instead they put people on projects were their was a shortage whether it was a good fit for your talents and strengths or not.