Dal-Tile

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John C. Turner, Jr.

Very good place to work but has challenges

SAP Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEmployees are highly valued & many have been there 20-25-30 years, Good products, Profitable Company. Solid Long-Term Company. Every year they have Employee Appreciation week with prizes, raffles, gifts etc. Really nice employee discount on all the flooring, carpet, & other products

ConsLots of bottle-necks on the IT side. Sales (a bunch of Muggles) runs things with demands that often create system/process compromises. Lots of major hacks to SAP and other systems. Many systems have "single point failures" because the knowledge is all in one person's head but that's true most places

Advice to Senior ManagementDT is a big company heavily dependent on your enterprise systems for sales, distribution and manufacturing. It's time to start treating (funding & staffing) your implementations and IT department appropriately. You also need some outside blood infused into your processes and systems. While Sales is always going to wag the dog, make sure that they only give their requirements to IT, not dictate the solution.

"For The People. By The People"

Contract Recruiter (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAs a Senior Technical Recruiter who has worked in both Corporate and Agency environments several aspects about Dal-Tile stood out amongst and against the other employers I was interviewing for.

1) I haven't passed anyone coming or going that didn't say hello or goodbye or that isn't kind to me.
    2) Management is patient, thoughtful, and willing to teach and train if needed.
    3) Leadership is approachable
    3) Work/Life balance exists
    4) Employee Appreciation exists

ConsI'm not a permanent employee yet. (smile)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on smiling, interacting, and shaking hands. Kindness and generosity in Corporate America is rare

Great Company, still needs improvements

Architectural Representative (Current Employee)

ProsReally supports the ideals of teamwork to create local success. Diverse product line. Regional management is supportive. Company is growing and has a good future/outlook -- continuing to hire additional reps as a market dictates.

ConsRecently has become even more "bottom-line", shareholder driven. Have felt over the last six months to a year a push from corporate -- that they're more informed on local markets than the employees working in those markets (who are talking to clients). Marketing seems to be ignoring field requests (based on actual customer feedback) in favor or anonymous customer surveys. Benefits have declined over the last year/year & a half.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to allowing local markets to make appropriate business decisions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Dal-Tile Headquarters in IS for 13 years

Applications Developer/Business Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe first 4 years were great. I started off as a Lotus Notes web application developer. I got a big promotion after my 1st year and had the best manager ever for the 1st six years. My salary increased by over 41% over 13 years. Our team eventually grew to a membership of 5. We had plenty of work and our team was trusted and well respected for the great accomplishments we made.

ConsDal-Tile was acquired by Mohawk Industries in 2003, just in the beginning of the 4th year with the company. Information Services was the 1st department to be put under Mohawk control, and my team was the 1st team to put under a Mohawk director. This and other changes caused many problems for Dal-Tile, and most of the Mohawk IT/IS management, including the CIO were asked to leave. However, the work-life balance and time-off policies were very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management team talked about the importance of put associates on projects that matched their strengths and talent sets. However, this turned to be only talk. Instead they put people on projects were their was a shortage whether it was a good fit for your talents and strengths or not.

It's a great company to work for. A leader in this industry with incredible longevity for employees

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Bethpage, NY

ProsIt's a great job with great compensation. Wonderful caring management and an abundance of resources available to you

ConsNo cons that I can think of. I've been here for. 6 years

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees abreast of happenings. It's strange to find out information about your company from your customers

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Experience

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTeam Interaction, Excellent Knowledge and Experience.

ConsWould of liked to have had a Permanent job; instead of Part-Time.

If you live in Dallas, keep looking for better opportunites

ProsHit or miss good departments to work in. Salaries can be exceptionally high for the area.

ConsFavoritism..... again depends on department you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair and dont play favorites.

Good job environment, Business is still a bit traditional

ECommerce and Digital Media Intern (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsJob environment and friendly coworkers

ConsTraditional way of running business

The talk the talk but don't walk the walk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good pay. Like the employees I worked with

ConsLack of concern upper management has for the safety of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing even when it is going to cost money

Corporate and the Distribution Centers are not on the same page, which affects the overall success of the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, Good Compensation Package and Pay.

ConsPoor Leadership and no support for the top.

Worked for Dal-Tile? Contribute to the Community!