Dallas Black Dance Theatre

Updated Feb 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Zenetta S. Drew

Good cause but not very supportive of employees.

Audience Development Manager/Ticket Sales Director (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsDance company and academy that is the oldest continuously operated dance company in Dallas. Minority and female owned and operated

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, severe case of micro-management, low level of trust among employees, low pay and no assurance of increases, dismal medical/health insurance package

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff! You have quality employees that have stellar education and backgrounds, give them a chance to show why they are so good at what they do. Additionally, you should foster a team environment--not one based on suspicion and every man for themselves.

Horrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing positive about working here

ConsSenior management needs to be changed

Advice to Senior ManagementGet training

Great Artistic with great mission.... executive side needs work

Development Specialist (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Artistic Department - The vision and of the Artistic Director is amazing, a dance organization in Dallas that produces highly skilled dancers and promotes multicultural harmony.
    - Educational Outreach - Students from all across Dallas are exposed to arts and culture right in the center of the Dallas Arts District.

Cons- All the other cons posted are 100% accurate!
    - Questionable business practices
    - Consistent employee turnaround - I was there for 9 months and in that time on the executive side, there were 3 resignations in a staff of less than twenty.
    - No safe reporting mechanism for employee grievences and issues

Advice to Senior Management- I have nothing constructive to offer up other than executive management should seek extensive management training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior managements is a LIABILITY to this otherwise well respected organization

Audience Development Manager/Ticket Sales Director (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWell respected, talented dancers, small organization

ConsMicro managing, dishonest and shady

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a position that is a temporary position, you should present it as such. Don't fill the position once a year and keep that person for 6-8 months, then let them go for a made up reason and fight them for unemployment.

Other companies notice (the contact at Ticketmaster was exasperated at having to work with "4 different people in the past 4 years") and the Texas Workforce Commission is taking note as well.

Also, senior management is a discredit to the rest of the people that work long, hard hours to keep DBDT afloat.

I cannot recommend this employer at ALL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe good - The dancers are always great to see, most employees are great people to know, and you are working for a good cause.

ConsThe bad - prepare to be micromanaged like you have NEVER been micromanaged before. The problem is that the person in charge severely lacks leadership ability, and does not trust her employees to do their jobs. It is a really, really, really bad place to work. When you first arrive at DBDT you will be impressed - but once you get on the inside and see the "real" side of things, you will want to run far, far away. My impression is that they do not want capable employees - they want flunkies - and every employee there feels this way, and everyone is miserable. People stay there simply because they have no where else to go. One girl in accounting tried to leave but got scared into staying via a guilt-laced letter from the director. She was terrified so bad by the words in the letter that she was crying afterwards. Believe me, if some people knew what actually goes on in that pretty brick building, the donations would stop and DBDT would be shut down immediately.

Worked for Dallas Black Dance Theatre? Contribute to the Community!