Dallas County Community College District

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
3.5

Wright Lassiter

Good place to learn and help learn!

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District

Pros

The students and helping education.

Cons

Bureaucratic management gets caught up in issues that hinder an evolving educational environment.

Make the tough decisions to cut the fat and put the extra money into growing or new programs.

Typical Government Organization

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are paid for putting forth little effort.

Cons

There are no expectations. Ideas are not welcome and the statement "that's how things have always been done", is the run of the mill response for any questions asked.

Anyone in management should have at least two plus years working for a for-profit before managing in the district.

Great place to work. Fair pay and good benefits.

Current Employee - Assistant Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome. Really care about you and your life. Excellent time off benefits, paid insurance. Great sense of community.

Cons

It can get slow and boring as an intern.

It is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, your co-workers are like family. If you value education, then this is the place to be, where our students come first.

Cons

Since we are a state community college raises are not merit-based. The Board of Trustees have to vote and grant a raise. So some years there is no cost of living allowance. You are not going to get rich working for the District.

Great Vacations Time Off! Older Crowd

Current Employee - Network Specialist III in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Network Specialist III in Dallas, TX

Pros

I am very grateful because they were the only employer to accept me after graduating from the University. This was during 2008 when the country was in a recession and people were getting let go from their jobs left and right. They helped me develop my IT skills in a not-so high pressure environment. Great Benefits and Great Vacation Time Off!

Cons

If you wan't to make the big bucks. Well, this really isn't the place for you. Career latter movement is a little slow but it's getting better. New changes are coming though! Well from what I hear, especially in the IT Department.

Need to do a better job in keeping the good workers. I think they should at least try to give more incentives for those good employees that are looking else where to go. Fight for the good ones!

Great Job for a Student

Former Employee - Relationship Management Intern in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Relationship Management Intern in Irving, TX

I worked at Dallas County Community College District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job was flexible enough for any student wanting to get money while in school. You are allowed independence on the job besides reporting to the management at the beginning of your shift and at the end of it.

Cons

The amount of people you have to deal with can be overwhelming at times and underwhelming at times. The people themselves can vary greatly and sometimes for the worst, but you just have to be prepared to deal with them.

Employee Oriented Company with a Focus on Education of District Students

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District

Pros

Great connection with your work mates and the students for the common goal of education. Employees are respectful of one another.

Cons

Slow to get things accomplished. Too many layers of approvals to complete projects and implement processes.

Work on making opportunities more efficient.

Was a great place to work. I was able to enhance the skills that I had and learned new ones. I enjoyed my colleagues.

Former Employee - Instructional Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Instructional Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas County Community College District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Are concerned about their employees

Cons

There are no cons for this employer.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas County Community College District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of my coworkers were great and wonderfully supportive people. From nearly everyone, there was a great desire to make our students' lives better and to give them everything they needed to succeed. When I had trouble with a student who threatened me personally, the issue was settled promptly by my dean and the campus police, and I was assured my safety was their main concern. I felt appreciated when my success rates were the highest in the department two years in a row for the classes I taught.

Cons

Some of us, including myself, taught six or more classes a semester for lower tier faculty pay, and our class loads often started in the morning and ended at night. During the semester, I had no life outside of work. It was impossible to have any kind of social life and still be a responsible instructor. I worked all the time. One year, I had to come in after the semester was officially over and work until Christmas Eve and nearly did not get paid for the extra hours. Often some coworkers just would not do their job and everyone else is left to pick up the slack when it comes to paperwork, committee work, department meetings, and such. Faculty and administration are not interfacing and agreeing on what's important. Administration seems willing to do anything to keep success and retention rates up, even if that means sacrificing quality education. Office politics was rampant. I was personally sabotaged by another instructor when I was assigned to a huge project, but luckily my dept. coordinator knew what was going on and we were able to undo the damage she had done. My office was always freezing cold, and I was told nothing could be done because it would be "too expensive" to fix it. I had to resort to constantly wearing parkas, scarves, and gloves when in my office. I heard students who act out and misbehave, some who have even physically abused teachers, are still on campus, given only a warning. Thank goodness, my issue was not handled so lightly, but I hate that I had to deal with students who have threatened to physically harm me. I can appreciate the open enrollment system, but the safety of faculty and staff should be considered.

Less office politics and egos fighting for attention. More focus on really educating our students, not just passing them to keep numbers up and setting them up for failure and disappointment when they move forward in school and when they graduate. Please consider the safety of everyone on campus.

As an Adjunct Faculty member I enjoyed the daily challenge of the class room environment.

Pros

The pros are witnessing the light bulbs come on for students.

Cons

The lenght of the courses.

Keep preparing our future representatives.