Dallas Independent School District

Updated December 29, 2014
2.4

Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles
Mike Miles

Pros
  • i really like working with students (in 3 reviews)

• The vacation time and paid time off is good but not any better than any other district in Dallas, Texas (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little support for teachers when it comes to discipline issues (in 3 reviews)

• Feels like central office has no idea of what really happens in the classroom (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Experience

Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Kindergarten in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for the district. It has good benefits and salary.

Cons

Have to bring a lot of work home.

Current administration seems to see student as widgets, not people with differing needs.

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX

Pros

There are still a lot of great teachers here who really care about students and their success. If you surround yourself with the right people and your principal supports real teaching rather than the factory assembly line methodology, you can still make a difference in student's life.
    If helping children is your number one priority and you are able to look past all the roadblocks put in place by top administration, this can be a rewarding place to work. The rewards of seeing the joy on a students face when he or she succeeds at something they have been working for has to be reward enough. Be prepared to live with a lot of unnecessary frustrations at the hands of top district administration.

Cons

The superintendent seems to think that teacher's are motivated by money. The sad thing is that even if we were, things are set up so that only a very small minority, if that, will ever receive top pay. This is the same system that was in place in Colorado before he came here. During the six years he was there, not one single teacher ever made it to the the top pay tier. If you are coming to Dallas thinking you will receive a high salary, you will be disappointed. The plan is to pay on a bell curve with preset numbers in place as to how many people are allowed to receive even a small salary increase. It feels like he sees teachers as a bunch of donkeys that will work hard as long as they can see a carrot dangling in front of their noses..
    It is very important to me to do a good job wherever I work. A student's success in life is at stake and they are the ones that will pay the price for these poor management strategies that interfere with a teacher's ability to help students succeed. Although I am receiving very high ratings and have even been invited to participate in the Distinguished Teacher program, I believe that I could do more for my students. This system robs my time and energy and therefore hurts my students.The extra things they want done turn out to be very time consuming and do nothing to improve teacher effectiveness. In fact, they take time away from planning, grading and especially from working with students. There are a lot of extra meetings that are a total waste of time. In the past I would have spent this time tutoring students or communicating with parents. Now I am sitting in useless meetings and redundant training.
    The superintendent eliminated the district's program that helped teachers achieve National Board Certified status. He seems to think his few years (6 total) of experience teaching makes him more qualified to determine good pedagogy than the combined wisdom of the professional teachers on the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Extensive research studies have shown Board Certified teachers to be highly effective in the classroom without the cookie cutter mentality our superintendent is so fond of pushing off on us.
    The environment is very negative with a "got ya" type of mentality. Frequent military type inspections (spot evaluations) are conducted. We are no longer trusted, valued or respected contributors to the district. Our opinions are ignored. Teachers who were supposedly part of the creation of the new evaluation system were given a copy of the finished product and told to basically rubber stamp it as nothing was going to be changed based on their input. They were given little choice to do anything other than comply if they wanted to keep their jobs. That is how little our knowledge and experience is valued. The superintendent is quick to take credit for anything good that happens whether he had any involvement in it or not and quick to blame someone else when things go wrong. Fear and intimidation rule and most teachers are in constant fear for their jobs. With so much conflicting information from district level trainers and coaches, it is not possible to know how to comply with district expectations. Many times we get completely different information from the district level coaches and local administration. It is the worst job environment I have ever experienced. I have several years of business experience prior to entering the teaching profession in various industries and have never seen anything remotely comparable to this.
    It takes a lot of self motivation to work here. With morale as low as it is, motivation has to come from within. Even with a great principle that still values his teaching staff, we have lost 30 to 40% of our very best teachers who are now benefiting the students in Mesquite and other surrounding districts. This leaves our much higher needs students with inexperienced Teach for America trainees, or worse, permanent substitutes.
    If all of these issues aren't bad enough, several "community members" with no educational training but with an eye on controlling state funding are trying to move the district to "home rule" status. This will allow the district to bypass many state regulations designed to protect students and teachers. Costs may decrease but at who's expense?

Work with your most effective teachers. Give them real input to the decision making process. If you use their knowledge effectively, real reform can be achieved. This isn't about power trips. There is no one perfect way to teach. Be aware that every school, every class, every student, and even every teacher are different. Celebrate that diversity and use it to make this district the very best it can possibly be.

Present administration's attempt to uniform teaching.....regardless of your past/present successful accomplishments .

I worked at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

A Good, Dedicated District of teachers and most administrators...Excluding the Controversial Superintendent who appears to have a "personal agenda" that does not benefit the District students as well as its teachers.

Cons

Present Superintendent ........(read the blogs, etc)

Replace Superintendent.......Proven Successful Teachers (as indicated by CEIs, etc,), should not have to change their successful teaching pedagogy just to satisfy the unproven and untested approach of a new and yet another Superintendent. The present Superintendent is horrible......READ THE BLOGS, ETC.

Dallas is full of politics

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only good thing about teaching in Dallas is June, July, and August

Cons

The company does not support teachers at all. They only support what they feel is best.

Do not work here.

It was good until the last few years then it started to decline.

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benefits are decents and some of the schools are pretty good to work in.

Cons

No support from administration. Teachers work long and hard hours and get no support from the superintendent or school administration.

Train your principals on how to talk to their teachers and staff personnel. Because some them talk to them like they have no feeling what soever.

Horrible Experience

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time

Pros

The pay is great for a new teacher, and the students are amazing. I worked with a lot of very intelligent, dedicated educators.

Cons

My principal made my first year of teaching an absolute nightmare. The district pushed arbitrary policies and offered no support to teachers who were in need of help. Our school was COMPLETELY out of control--veteran teachers felt helpless and unsafe at work, and nobody was willing to help. Instead, teachers were constantly threatened with termination, and everybody was just miserable.

Work load is fair. Great place to gain experience in the field.

Current Employee - Temp in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Temp in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District part-time (less than a year)

Pros

stability, great time off, flexible work schedule, work load is manageable, great starting ground for someone just entering the field

Cons

limited income growth potential, office culture can be negative at times but this is with any job, poor communication chain of command, expectations of employees are unclear, work environment can be dull

Average Experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many available jobs for teachers

Cons

Once hired the process took too long to actually start.

Expand the human resources team

Dallas ISD review

Current Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get a chance work with great people, have a good salary, and opportunity to impact the lives of children.

Cons

There are a lot of bureaucratic nonsense that goes around. The work load is hefty at times, and there are lots of misconceptions from the community in general.

Listen to and support your teachers. We are the front line.

Micromanagement at it's Best

Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, rewarding job. Amount of time away from the job is great and about the only real positive to being a teacher.

Cons

Awful pay and benefits, high stress environment. Administration loves to breathe down your neck. Policies come in the form of trends. Next year, there is a new buzz word that will magically solve every problem.

Stop being hypocritical. Remember what it was like being a teacher.

Dallas Independent School District Photos