Dallas Independent School District

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles

Mike Miles

Pros
  • i really like working with students(in 3 reviews)

• The vacation time and paid time off is good but not any better than any other district in Dallas, Texas(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little support for teachers when it comes to discipline issues(in 3 reviews)

• Feels like central office has no idea of what really happens in the classroom(in 4 reviews)

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dallas ISD is always changing.

Bilingual Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLove my principal and school community.

ConsConstantly changing and conflicting policies.

It was alright

Teacher (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prospay lets make a sentence for a 20 word minimum. also the benefits and the "job security" i suppose.

Consmake a sentence for a 20 word minimum work life balance was minimal many meetings observations and follow up meetings about it a lot of unnecessary rules to follow that were more like busy work.

Advice to Senior Managementbe reasonable not micromanagers

A challenging, fast paced fast growing educational business experience that is rich in student and faculty diversity.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe opportunity to enrich a child's life, to open the gates to knowledge is the most exciting reason to work here. Weather you are working in an inner city environment or suburban atmosphere you will be faced with a rich diversity of students. Students come with a magnitude of needs which needless to say require that you as a teacher are flexible and team orientated as well as able to work independently. It is a system in which one has to grow in order to stay a viable teacher for the students. Being a teacher requires customer service skills which are necessary when dealing with parents in the community. It is a rewarding job.

ConsThere is a sealing to how much you can earn. There is more room for lateral growth than there is vertical. Class sizes have often been a challenge due to the size of the district. There are many times when ingenuity is the only saving grace when it comes to supplies. There is too much communication breakdown between admin, and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear and concise communication to employees about hiring practices etc is extremely important.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Superintendent is boss, not leader.

Bilingual Elementary Teacher (English/Spanish) (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWorking with kids, field trips, summers.
    Benefits are still good, but a bit more expensive since Obamacare.
    Schools are getting new technology and software.

ConsSuperintendent Miles is a dictator: his way or the highway. I took the highway.
    No leadership, just authority.
    Teachers haven't gotten a raise in 5 years. Custodial staff actually took a pay cut two years ago.
    New evaluation system for teachers depends on standardized, one-size-fits-all tests, and new teacher pay depends on evaluation system.

Advice to Senior ManagementTax payers: fire the board members!
    Board members: fire Mike Miles and hire a real leader!

Challenging yet rewarding work

Bilingual Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy experience as a teacher at Dallas ISD was amazing. I got to work with some great kids and families. My principal was very supportive and I learned a lot from many of the teachers I had the pleasure of working with. (Your experience will largely depend on the principal you work for...)

ConsThat said, the direction the district is heading in is not for me. There is a very militaristic atmosphere from the top levels of administration. The amount of micromanaging that goes on is overwhelming and it feels like higher ups in central staff only want to make teachers' jobs more difficult instead of acknowledging how challenging our job already is.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember what if felt like to be a teacher. Recognize the current challenges we are facing and think of how to better support us rather than looking to add to our already frightening workload. Also, before implementing new policies for teachers to adhere to, try ironing out the details BEFORE you put them into place. Nothing is more frustrating than feeling that the people who you work for do not know what they are doing or do not respect you enough to have carefully thought out policies in place. We are here for the students, not as a stepping stone to propel you to your next career.

I have been happily substituting since 2008 in North Dallas Middle and High Schools.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou can choose when and where you want to work. You can even pick up jobs on the morning of the day you want to work. It's all computerized.

ConsIt you get at a school where the leadership us not strong, it can be very, very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSubstitutes really should get paid better as every day is like the first day of school for them. I love when I have a class for long term, as the kids get to know what you expect.

Meh

Family Therapist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMy co-workers are great! The pay is decent and steady. Ok benefits

ConsIm part time but they treat part timers like second.

This is Nightmare on DISD!!!

Bilingual Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI have had great experiences with students and co-workers, great bosses that try to protect us from the administration above because they know who we are and that we work hard.

ConsTeachers and principals are threatened even if their student's scores are great, their spot observations are 2 and up (out of 3), in your PDAS you exceed expectations or you have even been recommended to enter into principal cohort programs. They don't like you and they want you out. Mike Miles goes to visit schools and without even knowing the school scores he expects the principal to have at least 3 teachers in growth plan, he pushes the principals to fire teachers but be fully staffed when nobody wants to work for DISD anymore. The new evaluation system sucks! it will be imposible to get a raise you will probably make more money at McDonnalds if you work as hard as you work here. Principals will have their hands tie if they want to give a fair high evaluation to a teacher. Students are not treated like kids, they should be quiet and studing, that's it no fun at all. Kids don't want to come to school, they hate school. They are not learning facts they are just being trained to pass tests.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking you are God because you are NOT. You are making a mess and at the end you'll just wash your hands and leave. (It would be great! But first pick up your mess!!!) You said that all of the teachers that leave are the bad teachers, you are soooooo wrong! I have been a master teacher since I got there. I'm not even a born
    teacher, I was an AC (forced by some situations). My student's scores have been great year after year. And I left even tho I could probably make the "$90k" per year (which I know, no body would, like when nobody could get a 3 on spot observations). I left because I'm tired of watching how teachers are treated.

The experience has been one that has been filled with varying degrees of good and bad things.

Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe children are the best reason for working in DISD. When they come back to see you and say thank you for being my teacher and helping me, you know that it has been a rewarding experience.

ConsThe policies change too frequently. We have only received one bonus since I have been in the district over 10 years.

Not the school district you want to work in

Teacher (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe pay is decent for being a teacher.

ConsPoor feedback, mismanagement at every level. Kids are pretty difficult

Worked for Dallas Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!