Dallas Independent School District

Reset
2.7
Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles
Mike Miles

Pros
  • i really like working with students (in 3 reviews)

• The vacation time and paid time off is good but not any better than any other district in Dallas, Texas (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The central office is notorious for hiring their staff based on family or organizational connections (e (in 4 reviews)

• The district pushed arbitrary policies and offered no support to teachers who were in need of help (in 4 reviews)

1. Things could change this year

I worked at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

Super strong teacher salary
    Great place to start career
    Tons of responsibility given right off the bat
    The kids truly need your help

Cons

Poor leadership in district and terrible professional development and support
    Culture of fear
    Terrible pipeline for developing leaders
    Extremely high turnover

2. Great place to work in many ways

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The other teachers, the Assistant Principal, and the office staff and TAs were all just incredibly wonderful. The campus and many of the children were sweet. The staff all really cared about the kids -- a very warm and nurturing place, surprising and not what I expected in such a large, urban district. Resources were employed to try to help kids, but these resources did not always work. There was an Assistant Principal who was a complete gem and treated everyone -- kids, staff, teachers -- in the best way possible. This kept morale high much of the time. This individual was not getting the same support from above, hope the person is able to keep doing such an amazing job. So many of the people who worked at this school had big hearts, caring minds, were devoted to these children. And so many left DISD after this year because they were not valued and could get a better situation elsewhere.

Cons

The Principal was either under too much pressure to treat employees as well as otherwise might have or really did not care about employees, not sure which. Principal did things which undermined the dignity of some of the teachers and did other things that were just thoughtless, but probably was just too stressed and busy to realize it. Human Capital Management was not helpful when trying to get basic answers to questions -- a huge drawback when paycheck issues and one's career future depended on getting a real human being in this giant department to actually help.

Advice to Management

Teachers work days are too long (7:30-4:30 or later, then grading and lesson planning at home). Teachers should be treated like professionals and left to teach, then leave and tend to their own kids, as so many teachers are parents of young children. Allow teachers to leave as soon as kids leave so that you can attract and retain some of the best who would otherwise not work those hours. Allow teachers to do their lesson planning and grading at home and not attend meetings every day and conduct mandatory tutoring of young kids who are too fried to learn after 7 hours at school; give these youngsters a real recess (more than 10 minutes on good-weather days); allow kids to talk in the lunchroom, but have real consequences for kids who push the boundaries by misbehaving--REAL consequences, rather than babysitting them and keeping them on the campus and constantly wreaking havoc in classrooms. Stop showing videos in PE and really show the kids how to move their bodies, follow game rules, etc--take the time. In the HR department, right arm needs to know what the left arm is doing. Get it together, Human Capital Management! Support your principals/administrators, but also support the lower employees, such as teachers and TAs. Principals need to treat everyone with respect and not look at certain teachers as numbers to manage out so that another teacher can be hired to get better results. Some children have real emotional problems that cannot simply be solved with the right 2-second "classroom management strategy." It is too bad the principals are being held accountable and blamed for referring kids (not keeping them at the school to babysit them all day) who need help b/c everyone loses. Everything travels downward, so teacher are blamed (for having less-than-stellar classroom management skills) when they have students who act-out and need real help. Value the libraries and librarians. Reading books and learning to value that experience should not be replaced with mandatory computer lab for Pre-K to 5th grade (Reasoning Minds, etc.) that is two hours per week per child. It was nuts. The kids were dying to be read to and to get their hands on books but were not given opportunities because they were required to get more "screen" time. Saddest thing.

3. Database Developer

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really good people working there--who really do care about doing their jobs well.

Cons

Lots of politics. Managers are averse to change. Everyone wants to cover their butts, so no innovation takes place.

5. Teacher

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time

Pros

Challenging work environment
    Lots of responsibility
    Some awesome coworkers and kids

Cons

Inconsistent policies
    Misalignment of district and school directions

6. High school science teacher

I worked at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

great colleagues, have freedom to run my own class etc

Cons

poor administrative help of any kind, rare to ever see them in a classroom, bad judgement on new teacher evaluations

Advice to Management

disd needs a campus admin asst directly involved with new teachers on each campus, not a coach, but someone familiar with the school, students, technology, classroom behavior issues etc

7. Teacher/ Newcomer Liaison

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time

Pros

Opportunity!! DISD is a great place to start your career as a teacher. You learn to be creative, resourceful, and flexible. Although we are data driven and go beyond what is necessary (concerning administrative duties for teachers), that is the very quality that gets us hired at other districts. What was the norm, now is considered a highlight and deemed as valuable.

I do not regret my time with DISD because I know I am a better teacher. Having to teach a class of students with deficits that are too numerous to mention, has forced me to think outside of the box and learn what it means to differentiate instruction.

Thank you, DISD, for giving me a chance.

Cons

Due to the fact that DISD does not have good administrators running the district, it is seen in a negative light. When I say that I work for DISD, I am discredited as a teacher and people assume what type of school that I work. It is frustrating and demeaning as I have worked countless hours to add growth to each child, but it's overlooked because I'm overshadowed by the districts' poor decisions. Therefore, to others, I have nothing to bring to the table and am undervalued in the community.

Advice to Management

To the City of Dallas, YOU ARE TOO LARGE!! Redistrict your city and create four. It is impossible for one person to oversee 2 million people. Just as it is impossible for one superintendent to oversee over 200 schools and it be ran well. Let's just do things that make sense.

8. Substitute Teacher

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time

Pros

Working with such a diverse population and working with teachers who teach all kinds of different subjects. Atmosphere is positive.

Cons

Money is tight, operating on a very strict budget.

Advice to Management

I don't have any.

Teacher (Long Middle School)

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to develop teaching skills in the trenches of a difficult context

Cons

Significant behavior and leadership issues, but Ms. King (assistant principal) could not have been better. Behavior challenges nearly every minute.

10. Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with my team.

Cons

I wish that there was more room for upward mobility, and that managers were qualified for the work they do.

Advice to Management

Please promote more from within.

Under resourced, poor management

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students were great, and the camaraderie amongst teachers is high. Salaries are pretty high for teachers when compared to other local districts.

Cons

The leadership at our school was divided into factions, and they pushed the stress they felt over being concerned for their jobs onto their teachers. We were required to use a curriculum that was clunky and not as good as others available. Technology was very limited-- I had three broken computers in my room that were never fixed.

RSS Feed </> Embed