Dallas Independent School District Reviews

123 reviews filtered by
2.5
Dallas Independent School District Superintendent Mike Miles
Mike Miles

Pros
  • i really like working with students (in 3 reviews)

• The vacation time and paid time off is good but not any better than any other district in Dallas, Texas (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little support for teachers when it comes to discipline issues (in 3 reviews)

• Feels like central office has no idea of what really happens in the classroom (in 4 reviews)

1. It was a great experience but was not for me.

I worked at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

There are some amazing teaching I had the opportunity to work with and learn. Also, it was truly heartfelt changing some of these kids lives.

Cons

It's really hard to preform at an high level when most of the kids are behind and you don't have adequate time to help them. You try to help but administration holds you back because they are receiving from the district level.

The focus is the children, who cares if you have to fight with the district and state for you to better educated these children. I know it's difficult and you want to keep your job but the children is the only reason we do what we do as teachers.

2. The students are great but the system still is something we need to work on.

Current Employee - 6th Grade Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - 6th Grade Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

The pay and benefits are pretty decent for new educators. The compensation for working for more than 5 years in science or math is fantastic and a huge bonus.

Cons

Classes and schools are large. My first couple years my classes averaged about 28 and I had to teach 6 sections. It's a lot of paperwork and sometimes seems like there is always change. We don't stick with one idea long enough to even give it time to be successful.

Stick with some ideas.

Great learning experience. Don't a lot of support for elective teachers.

Former Employee - Art Teacher
    Former Employee - Art Teacher

I worked at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

Decent salary, for new teachers. Met many life long friends through working for DISD

Cons

Administration is never on the same thought pattern as the teachers

Consider your teacher, who do all the work, before you make decisions

5. I cooked cashiers stocked and cleaned in a timely matter

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job good schedule nice people

Cons

You never get to go on trips with your kids school never have time to take them to doc or anything else cause tour at work when everything needs to be done

6. Nice students, nice job

Current Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

the students and some o the parents

Cons

Some administrators give you hard time, just be smart

N/A

7. Great place to work. I depends on school and principal.

Current Contractor - Guest Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Guest Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

If you work at a great school with great people it can be very satisfying.

Cons

If principal is difficult your work can be very stressful.

8. What one reads in the paper about the upper management, their behavior, salaries and severance payments disappoints me.

Current Freelancer - Substitute Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Freelancer - Substitute Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the children can be so rewarding. Many teachers are helpful but with their responsibilities they have little time to give you. Of course one does not need to accept a job every day.

Cons

Feet that substitutes are taken advantage of in some schools. The pay per diem has not changed for years. If you are long term you buy supplies on your own and spend many hours beyond the school day preparing and doing paperwork so the pay turns out to be even less. When called by a school feel that I need to take the job or might not be asked again.

Clean up your own house so that there are people who truly care about the children and the teachers. Every one who works in a management capacity should have spent time in a classroom to see what it is like. Don't pay tutoring companies as much per hour for one student as you pay a substitute teacher with 25 students in a classroom per day. Try to clean up the budget waste.

9. Work at any school district but here until the Superintendent and the almost the complete Administration changes.

Current Employee - Former Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Former Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District

Pros

They kids are wonderful to work with!

Cons

The Administration rules by bullying from the top down. One out of five administrators truly care about the kids and teachers, and are given are hard time because they do.

School Board needs to fire the Superintendent and all the bullies he has hired. They need to rethink the new evaluation system, because it allows principals to fire teachers or bully them into quiting at their whim. They only want new teachers, and are forcing the veterans out because they have to pay them "too much". This is so sad for the students of DISD. The Administration is destroying this district.

For your sanity - do not even apply!

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary - Even though the salary is average for now. Once you understand how the TEI works you will end up making less in the long run. So the salary is both a pro and a con. It is a con job once you review how the TEI works.

Cons

TEI - Principals. No extra money for advanced degree. Treat veteran teachers poorly. Very difficult to advance if you are older that 25.

Get rid of the TEI.

Current administration seems to see student as widgets, not people with differing needs.

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX

Pros

There are still a lot of great teachers here who really care about students and their success. If you surround yourself with the right people and your principal supports real teaching rather than the factory assembly line methodology, you can still make a difference in student's life.
    If helping children is your number one priority and you are able to look past all the roadblocks put in place by top administration, this can be a rewarding place to work. The rewards of seeing the joy on a students face when he or she succeeds at something they have been working for has to be reward enough. Be prepared to live with a lot of unnecessary frustrations at the hands of top district administration.

Cons

The superintendent seems to think that teacher's are motivated by money. The sad thing is that even if we were, things are set up so that only a very small minority, if that, will ever receive top pay. This is the same system that was in place in Colorado before he came here. During the six years he was there, not one single teacher ever made it to the the top pay tier. If you are coming to Dallas thinking you will receive a high salary, you will be disappointed. The plan is to pay on a bell curve with preset numbers in place as to how many people are allowed to receive even a small salary increase. It feels like he sees teachers as a bunch of donkeys that will work hard as long as they can see a carrot dangling in front of their noses..
    It is very important to me to do a good job wherever I work. A student's success in life is at stake and they are the ones that will pay the price for these poor management strategies that interfere with a teacher's ability to help students succeed. Although I am receiving very high ratings and have even been invited to participate in the Distinguished Teacher program, I believe that I could do more for my students. This system robs my time and energy and therefore hurts my students.The extra things they want done turn out to be very time consuming and do nothing to improve teacher effectiveness. In fact, they take time away from planning, grading and especially from working with students. There are a lot of extra meetings that are a total waste of time. In the past I would have spent this time tutoring students or communicating with parents. Now I am sitting in useless meetings and redundant training.
    The superintendent eliminated the district's program that helped teachers achieve National Board Certified status. He seems to think his few years (6 total) of experience teaching makes him more qualified to determine good pedagogy than the combined wisdom of the professional teachers on the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. Extensive research studies have shown Board Certified teachers to be highly effective in the classroom without the cookie cutter mentality our superintendent is so fond of pushing off on us.
    The environment is very negative with a "got ya" type of mentality. Frequent military type inspections (spot evaluations) are conducted. We are no longer trusted, valued or respected contributors to the district. Our opinions are ignored. Teachers who were supposedly part of the creation of the new evaluation system were given a copy of the finished product and told to basically rubber stamp it as nothing was going to be changed based on their input. They were given little choice to do anything other than comply if they wanted to keep their jobs. That is how little our knowledge and experience is valued. The superintendent is quick to take credit for anything good that happens whether he had any involvement in it or not and quick to blame someone else when things go wrong. Fear and intimidation rule and most teachers are in constant fear for their jobs. With so much conflicting information from district level trainers and coaches, it is not possible to know how to comply with district expectations. Many times we get completely different information from the district level coaches and local administration. It is the worst job environment I have ever experienced. I have several years of business experience prior to entering the teaching profession in various industries and have never seen anything remotely comparable to this.
    It takes a lot of self motivation to work here. With morale as low as it is, motivation has to come from within. Even with a great principle that still values his teaching staff, we have lost 30 to 40% of our very best teachers who are now benefiting the students in Mesquite and other surrounding districts. This leaves our much higher needs students with inexperienced Teach for America trainees, or worse, permanent substitutes.
    If all of these issues aren't bad enough, several "community members" with no educational training but with an eye on controlling state funding are trying to move the district to "home rule" status. This will allow the district to bypass many state regulations designed to protect students and teachers. Costs may decrease but at who's expense?

Work with your most effective teachers. Give them real input to the decision making process. If you use their knowledge effectively, real reform can be achieved. This isn't about power trips. There is no one perfect way to teach. Be aware that every school, every class, every student, and even every teacher are different. Celebrate that diversity and use it to make this district the very best it can possibly be.

Dallas Independent School District Photos