Dallas Independent School District

www.dallasisd.org
Employer Engaged

81 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Superintendent is boss, not leader.

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher (English/Spanish) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher (English/Spanish) in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with kids, field trips, summers.
    Benefits are still good, but a bit more expensive since Obamacare.
    Schools are getting new technology and software.

Cons

Superintendent Miles is a dictator: his way or the highway. I took the highway.
    No leadership, just authority.
    Teachers haven't gotten a raise in 5 years. Custodial staff actually took a pay cut two years ago.
    New evaluation system for teachers depends on standardized, one-size-fits-all tests, and new teacher pay depends on evaluation system.

Tax payers: fire the board members!
    Board members: fire Mike Miles and hire a real leader!

Challenging yet rewarding work

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary School Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary School Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience as a teacher at Dallas ISD was amazing. I got to work with some great kids and families. My principal was very supportive and I learned a lot from many of the teachers I had the pleasure of working with. (Your experience will largely depend on the principal you work for...)

Cons

That said, the direction the district is heading in is not for me. There is a very militaristic atmosphere from the top levels of administration. The amount of micromanaging that goes on is overwhelming and it feels like higher ups in central staff only want to make teachers' jobs more difficult instead of acknowledging how challenging our job already is.

Try to remember what if felt like to be a teacher. Recognize the current challenges we are facing and think of how to better support us rather than looking to add to our already frightening workload. Also, before implementing new policies for teachers to adhere to, try ironing out the details BEFORE you put them into place. Nothing is more frustrating than feeling that the people who you work for do not know what they are doing or do not respect you enough to have carefully thought out policies in place. We are here for the students, not as a stepping stone to propel you to your next career.

I have been happily substituting since 2008 in North Dallas Middle and High Schools.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can choose when and where you want to work. You can even pick up jobs on the morning of the day you want to work. It's all computerized.

Cons

It you get at a school where the leadership us not strong, it can be very, very stressful.

Substitutes really should get paid better as every day is like the first day of school for them. I love when I have a class for long term, as the kids get to know what you expect.

This is Nightmare on DISD!!!

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have had great experiences with students and co-workers, great bosses that try to protect us from the administration above because they know who we are and that we work hard.

Cons

Teachers and principals are threatened even if their student's scores are great, their spot observations are 2 and up (out of 3), in your PDAS you exceed expectations or you have even been recommended to enter into principal cohort programs. They don't like you and they want you out. Mike Miles goes to visit schools and without even knowing the school scores he expects the principal to have at least 3 teachers in growth plan, he pushes the principals to fire teachers but be fully staffed when nobody wants to work for DISD anymore. The new evaluation system sucks! it will be imposible to get a raise you will probably make more money at McDonnalds if you work as hard as you work here. Principals will have their hands tie if they want to give a fair high evaluation to a teacher. Students are not treated like kids, they should be quiet and studing, that's it no fun at all. Kids don't want to come to school, they hate school. They are not learning facts they are just being trained to pass tests.

Stop thinking you are God because you are NOT. You are making a mess and at the end you'll just wash your hands and leave. (It would be great! But first pick up your mess!!!) You said that all of the teachers that leave are the bad teachers, you are soooooo wrong! I have been a master teacher since I got there. I'm not even a born
    teacher, I was an AC (forced by some situations). My student's scores have been great year after year. And I left even tho I could probably make the "$90k" per year (which I know, no body would, like when nobody could get a 3 on spot observations). I left because I'm tired of watching how teachers are treated.

Meh

Current Employee - Family Therapist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Family Therapist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District part-time

Pros

My co-workers are great! The pay is decent and steady. Ok benefits

Cons

Im part time but they treat part timers like second.

The experience has been one that has been filled with varying degrees of good and bad things.

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The children are the best reason for working in DISD. When they come back to see you and say thank you for being my teacher and helping me, you know that it has been a rewarding experience.

Cons

The policies change too frequently. We have only received one bonus since I have been in the district over 10 years.

Not the school district you want to work in

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent for being a teacher.

Cons

Poor feedback, mismanagement at every level. Kids are pretty difficult

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

Pros

Rewarding if you have a heart for helping kids.

Cons

struggling administration across the district

Keep kids in mind first!

I could not believe this place! Run don't even think about applying....oh wait they already filled the position...smh

Current Employee - Data Controller in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Controller in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The time off helps to tip the scale just a little.

Cons

They don't update the opening like a professional organization should. You don't know your salary until AFTER you have accepted the position. The benefits are so expensive you would be better off paying out of pocket. The salary & how they conduct promotions are unbelievable. This district is too big to be handled like a corner store.

Fresh faces, fresh ideas that benefit all not just Mike Miles!

Workers Compensation Specialist

Current Employee - Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very detail and really into each employee bettering themselves. You have the opportunity to grow and transfer to other departments within the district. I like the fact that beyond the drama you see on the TV, many employee really love what they do and desire to bring their best to work everyday!

Cons

In any job you have the good and bad. I really don't have any..

Continue to develop and train employees.

Dallas Independent School District Photos