Dallas Morning News Reviews

Reset
2.8
Dallas Morning News CEO & Publisher James M. Moroney III
James M. Moroney III

Pros
  • It's a GOOD company and GOOD people but it's a declining company just like everyone mentioned (in 3 reviews)

• The company is trying to be innovative in changing the business model of how a traditional newspaper operates (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of the state of the company there's no real opportunity for growth (in 2 reviews)

• Don't make a single mistake here, because the nit-picking will haunt you until you find something better (in 2 reviews)

1. Not a bad place

I worked at Dallas Morning News

Pros

good, clear vision for the future

Cons

lots of empty desks and layoffs

2. Wonderful People

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Morning News

Pros

Most people, across departments, feel that they are part of an important institution - so there's a sense of mission.

Cons

Silos (and silos within silos) abound

Advice to Management

Trust

3. Digital Marketing Consultant

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time

Pros

great name and is a growth in progress. great commission structure!

Cons

micro management is an issue. Their reputation makes it close to impossible to sell new clients.

Advice to Management

let up and give your salespeople more support. do more to improve your digital reputation

5. Okay

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady work and benefits. Company installed new gym for all employees to use. Most people are friendly. Company will pay for DART.

Cons

No raises, needs to update systems and processes. Insurance is not very good compared to other companies.

Advice to Management

Need to update processes and systems and go be regular pay raises

6. Mission driven

I worked at Dallas Morning News

Pros

Mission-driven, camaraderie. Very smart people

Cons

Chaotic and some difficult personalities.

Advice to Management

Value all workers.

7. Sales

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Morning News

Pros

Great co-workers that make this place fun. But that's about it.

Cons

Compensation for sales representatives are backwards and random depending on Department. We have been told numerous times a new compensation plan would be here April 2015 and its June. All SMCs do the same job, sell across the same vertices and use the plethora of solutions ( which we are goaled) and each segment gets a different compensation...... Ohh, forgot to mention that every quarter our goals go up so don't go over your goal too much or you will be fighting unattainable numbers the next year. We like to think of raising goals as a compliment, what the.....??? Really?? Never going to change, I'm on my way out anyway to greener fields and to a company that values the employees over the money we bring in. Good luck to every sales rep on hitting you're 3 buckets. Like all in goal Is not enough, we have to force sell to make our three tier goal. Be better off at reach local.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workers, not management that has their heads so far ... In the clouds they don't even know what some departments do. Stop purchasing companies and solutions and compensate your SMCs that bring the money to pay for your expensive BMW's

8. Application Development Manager

I worked at Dallas Morning News

Pros

Interesting software development roles and responsibility Great Experience

Cons

None, it was a great, traditional company there were no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and standards

9. So far so good.

I have been working at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work schedule is flexible, pay is good, generally good people around. Some benefits are good. News is an exciting business.

Cons

Sometimes there seems to be a lack of direction. There also seems to be a certain level of uncertainty about your job situation. The benefits are not that great.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. Communicate with other departments. Don't be insecure or territorial. Help solve general work related issues.

10. Dallas Morning Ruse

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great name for the resume.

Cons

The management doctrine is a cross between Adolf Hitler and Regina George. Every morning company peons ( employees who actually run the paper aka not 'management') drive through a guarded gate and enter Hades. After parking their Toyota Tercel in a lot that is paid for with half of their paycheck, they begin the mile-long trek, sweaty and nauseous with anxiety. A few steps away from the building's back entrance are the "reserved" spots for management and teacher's pets-- always empty until after McDonalds stops serving breakfast. Once employees successfully reach the building (many have talked about turning around and never coming back but so far none have been successful) they are greeted by a lingering stench of mold, old coffee, dirty diapers and shattered dreams. The entire day is spent chained to a cubicle, attempting to make impossible deadlines without working overtime (I was told even if I did work over my hours I was not allowed to claim overtime). This is all while in a constant state of paranoia wondering what made up rule would be used as an excuse for a half-an-hour belittlement session. While employees are contemplating where to have their routine bathroom stall hiding session or "break" (bathroom is just one example, I have also heard of utilizing the basement or archive closet) managers attend their meetings better known as their daily high school girl gossip sessions. After returning from said meetings they wrap up their three hour work day sending out angry emails and checking Facebook. Obviously, if you want to keep your sanity do not work here.

Advice to Management

Advice? Really would not make a difference. If the company paid attention to exit interviews, the current management would not exist.

11. Great product - Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Morning News full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Newsroom staff is talented. Bob Mong, Editor is amazing (but leaving).

Cons

Good 'ol boy network prevails with no women on the management council or in places of significant leadership. CEO who's not managing the stress of the imploding newspaper business very well - yelling, micromanaging, bullying, etc. but who once was an inspirational pioneer.

Advice to Management

Hire demonstrated people who deliver results and stop coddling"favorites"who deliver nothing. Set goals with specific and attainable KPIs and replace anyone who doesn't achieve goals. Even among favorites. Stop micromanaging and trust your performers.

RSS Feed </> Embed