Dallas

Updated January 13, 2015
3.3

CEO

Clinical allergy technician

I have been working at Dallas

Pros

Good benefits, very good environment

Cons

I dont have anything bad to say

deceptive hiring, corrupt, unsafe

Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas

Pros

job stability, internal mobility, pension plan. Good values and ethics are in the policies. If you are incompetent you won't be fired if you keep up appearances and a good attitude. If you are lazy you can get away with a lot and if you are smart any deficiencies can be blamed on someone else. Are those two last ones positive? For some people yes they are.

Cons

City: the insurance is cheap but covers almost nothing. You have to spend thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses before it pays for doctor visits or anything else. You get one doctor visit a year.

Trinity Watershed Department:

"good ole boy club" organization where management's errors are reflected back down-chain to scapegoat. Workers are not taught things (such as how to handle fiber optic cable) and then held responsible, disciplined and downgraded for the naturally following results of their diligent efforts. Saw this happen. It was not the employee's fault, and appeals against the censure are reviewed by those who supervise the employee and discarded, so there is no justice in the system. Training of a technical nature takes time and is seen as wasting time that could be spent in the field working. Employees are not developed, just used.

Safety policies are selectively followed. Employees privately warned by chain of command not to make issues of safety. Forced to use defective and broken ladders dating from the 1980's., and work around, and leaning into or over, open pits and 20-40 FT falls with no safety lines, exposed daily to old feces and urine with no breathing protection and no means of hand-washing, emphasis on number of sites serviced takes precedence over health and safety. Experienced this.

Deceptive hiring practices. Was told the "senior electronics technician" job was mostly outdoors, and was expected to have a lot of knowledge and experience. Discovered that most of it is not anything high tech at all but primarily cleaning and hand-scooping lizard, rodent, and fowl feces and urine deposits from outdoor equipment enclosures as well as being in unsafe situations. In some cases vermin would jump out of enclosures when the door was opened. Was told by one trainer that he smashes the animals using the hand or sprays them with any handy chemical like WD-40 to keep them from getting away. Gloves were always worn. Only "entry level" skill (board swapping, reading a voltage) was actually required for the "senior electronics technician" job. I did not get to repair one single board or do any advanced work, just scoop and or clean excrement out of almost every enclosure, check voltages, and sometimes swap boards out. There are some advanced portable test instruments in the shop but techs are forbidden to take them in the field to aid troubleshooting of complex SCADA and SCADA-like system consisting of VHF, UHF, cellular, and wired data paths.Disappointed.

Apparently this employer is exempt from OSHA. The bucket truck I had to use had two loose bolts on the bucket and cracks on the bucket, and these were not fixed for fear the truck would be out of service. No one is allowed to fix it, or won't fix it. I was told not to touch that. The truck leaked daily a lot of oil and this required an 'EPA cleanup" every day (Dallas is under scrutiny by EPA) using 1/2 hour's time because no trace of spill can remain visible, then the management complained frequently when the job tally was one short for the day due to this unproductive requirement. Having to spend time cleaning up after broken equipment was no excuse and if it was not adequately cleaned, there was censure. In this way and others they place workers in a defensive position and cite them for 'laziness' or 'goofing off'.

There are PTZ video cameras installed inside and around the pumping facilities and there are people that sit in front of display screens and try to find evidence of someone not working. If during the diligent execution of your work duties, you have to wait a minute for a machine to do something, and you sit down for a moment, this will be reported by these people as 'goofing off'. The 'watchers' apparently have this as a work goal, so they have no reason to be very careful before citing someone or it would detract from their numbers. Even though those people have no knowledge of the job being done, their accusations are not up for dispute. In this way, any tech can be required to account for his time with nearly minute by minute granularity. The censure can come a month after the alleged event, making it impossible to rebuff what is seen on a video record. I saw this done to a co-worker.

They really don't care. Morale is very low and co-workers readily betray each other to avoid consequences instead of working together to get a job done. Management by fear. I hate to blast an employer but this one nurtures a toxic work environment and has earned a very bad review. i would not recommend anyone work for this department. I worked hard to effect positive change, and suggested improvements to my supervisor but this was not welcome and it seemed that the very idea of it was viewed as a distraction from work. I quickly learned not to speak to anyone about doing things better because it would become gossip and 'tattlers' or busybodies would inform their supervisors and this would become a negative remark to my supervisor. I decided to leave this unprofessional and dangerous environment due to mismatch.

Covertly and thoroughly investigate this department. Clean it out like steam through a whistle. How has this department continued in this way for so long? because the City management only sees and hears what the TW management wants.

A very educational experience and provided opportunities for personal growth, however lacking administrative skills.

Current Employee - Nutritionist
    Current Employee - Nutritionist

I have been working at Dallas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting many new people from different backgrounds who are willing to share their experiences with others. Some of the supervisors will take the time to help their employees fulfill their potential. The annual and job specific trainings are actually very informative and supervisors will often let employees attend trainings that are of interest to the employees and not necessarily required. If an employee would like to add to their higher education background, the city also offers tuition reimbursement. The employee benefits are alright, and a pension plan is available, and Human Resources is always very helpful to employees looking for information about their benefits package.

Cons

When there is an issue with an employee or with facilities, the administration is slow to react, if they react at all. Some supervisors are so busy or burnt out with their duties, that problematic employees do not receive any disciplinary action, or when they do, it is not documented correctly and when further action is needed, it cannot be given due to zero/improper documentation of the first offense and resulting action taken. The benefits are so-so as far as the amount of coverage and number of clinics that an employee can use.

Supervisors need to be more in touch with the situation in the field. If an employee is causing problems, this needs to be dealt with immediately and all disciplinary action needs to be documented thoroughly so when further discipline is needed, the correct action can be taken. Also some of the public clinics are in dire need of a deep clean.

Mismanaged

I worked at Dallas

Pros

can't get fired. This can be good and bad

Cons

Terrible benefits. Health care is a joke

actually manage

Good Entry Level Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At least in my department managers recognize problems and will try to address them .Good work life balance; I've never had to take my work home with me. Good pension if you stay til retirement (I'll get back to this). Time off and sick leave are separate and do roll from year-to-year. Discount on monthly DART passes.

Cons

Benefits are surprisingly lacking compared to other major cities in Texas. Health insurance deductibles are high and in some cases getting higher. While the pension at retirement is very good, they amount they take out is high, as of 2014, 13.06%. Improvement could be made in communication between departments. There are times I don't get a response from the receiver. Mediocre pay, to be fair there is job security at the city.

If necessary hire Henry Kissinger to negotiate better benefits package for your employees.

Disappointing

Current Employee - I Choose Not to Disclose in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - I Choose Not to Disclose in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rated one of the best pension's in the U.S, job stability.

Cons

Health insurance benefits are surprisingly terrible.

na

There's other places where you can do the same job with less danger, more appreciation, and a better income.

Current Employee - Dallas Police Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dallas Police Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of experience available to whomever wants it. A larger variety of jobs within the job, compared to most departments.

Cons

The CIty is notorious for screwing employees, and the PD is no different. Race politics permeate everything.

Get a chief that knows something about being a cop, and not someone that's appreciated for saying "Yes."

I enjoyed my time here.

Current Contractor - Web Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Web Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The IT staff was great to work with. I only worked a short contract but was treated like I had been there for some time.

Cons

Dated Technology I guess this would be an issue working for any municipality but the computer and coding were all behind the times.

Keep up the good work.

Variety of opportunities if you can get them

I have been working at Dallas full-time

Pros

Still on pension system, generous vacation and sick leave

Cons

Below market average for pay, except for ok pension and vacation/sick leave benefits package is subpar, definitely who-you-know not what-you-know culture

Be willing to listen to the front line employees and include them in your decision making processes. When you can't, at least listen to them and explain what you can/cannot do for them. Happy workers = better workers.

Good entry level opportunity

Current Employee - Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly workers; great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Budgetary restrictions could result in layoffs.

None