Damar Services Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved my job duties. I liked working directly with the children, managing their cases. I also like the set schedule with no weekends. I liked all my co-nurses and my DON was amazing!

Cons

Politics. I was laid off with no warning. There is definitely some weird issues at Damar. DCS had a bed hold that shut done 2 units.

Everyday is different

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The overall goal of Damar Service is great as it aims to help kids with developmental and behavioral disabilities. The facilities are excellent and so are the higher ups and opportunities for advancement within the organization are great as well.

Cons

Pay could be better. For what you put with 10.00 and hour with a degree is not enough. Direct care staff is a very trying positions. Managers need to do better at working with employees and checking up on them every once and a while.

Higher pay
    more benefits

Mixed Experience...

Former Employee - Direct Care  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-I really enjoyed working with the kids, it can be very rewarding interacting with the kids and seeing them grow and develop, but their behaviors can be very challenging at times.

-They offer good dental, vision, and health benefits, a 401k, and vacation time.

-There is opportunity for advancement if you complete the career ladder (direct care) and keep up on you Continuing Education Units or go into management.

Cons

-The newer employee orientation, in addition to being dull and boring, doesn't seem to address the seriousness of the job, nor provide adequate training or preparation of the job and what to expect nor address challenges which may arise, the challenges of the work seems to be glossed over to avoid scaring off new hires, which takes me to my next point.

-They seem to hire anyone off the street with a clean background check, whether you have motivation, passion, or experience in this field or not (which results in a lot of incompetent and lazy employees only there for the paycheck). Also there are a lot of non-English speaking employees or where English is a poorly spoken second language and this creates a lot of barriers for both staff and our clients (many of whom already experience barriers to communication)

-There are staff members who are burned out or don't care, but there are just as many who do care. A lot of people get burned out (and there's a high turnover rate) from a combination of behaviors, management issues, and lack of support from the administration (there is definitely a disconnect and gap in communication and what's happening from direct care/management to the administration.) Also the direct care managers are often overburdened with too many responsibilities and management of too many clients/staff, often in addition to poor pay.

-There is definitely a communication barrier in terms of language,

-In regards to orientation, go back to the basics and the orientation you had a few years ago, with more interaction, charts (the escalation chart made a lot of sense and put things into perspective), and practical comparisons (the Pepsi machine) to explain client behaviors and management of behaviors, make orientation more interesting!

-Be a little bit more selective about who you hire, their experience, work history, etc and concentrate more on the factors contributing to your high turn over rate, so you can be a little more selective about you hire, and not so desperate to keep staff! I also would like to see more direct care employees with certification or associates degree in a related field (such as education or social work) and can speak English clearly as a first or second language.

-Please bring back the incentive or a rewards program acknowledging staff who've worked hard or done well, so often I've seen direct care staff discouraged by the lack of acknowledgement of their work or contributions to the clients progress or care. Also, competitive pay, based on experience and/or higher education, goes a long way towards staff retention.

-Please continue to work on creating a safer environment for employees to feel safe approaching management and administrative staff with legitimate grievances, it's one thing to have non-retaliation in writing, it's another to enforce it & place checks and balances to ensure it's not being side-stepped.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Kids are great, Employment is terrible

Former Employee - Direct Care Technician  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids are great! You have your good days and your bad days but you become attached and just want to do whatever you can for them! Can really open your eyes to what the good, bad, and ugly is in this world.

Cons

I worked here for 7 months and absolutely loved it at first but that declined quickly. The only reason why I stayed was because of the girls in the unit that I was caring for. I could not walk away from them. I could handle getting my hair pulled, objects thrown at me, verbal abuse and physical from the clients but when things got out of hand and staff didn't help I was done. The thing that pushed me to my limit was when myself and others were put in a dangerous situation by management and a client could have gotten seriously hurt, nothing was done about the incident and I could no longer support this company.

You don't get paid for the work you put in. It's a hard job and can be very stressful.
    You don't receive adequate training for the individuals you care for.
    They hire anyone, they're are a lot of Africans that work there and this makes communication very difficult.

Management is terrible. You put in incident reports on staff harassment and nothing gets done and your manager is never there on the weekends to provide every day necessities.
    Some staff fall asleep and nothing is done about it.
    There are a lot of lazy staff and managers that will throw you under the bus to cover themselves.

In my opinion I really feel that they should only hire people who have went to school and got the education needed to take care of special needs children. Not just anyone who needs a job.

Turnover rates are outrageous with employment. They care more about paper work than anything else. The company tells you in orientation the reason why people quit is because they can't handle the work. I find that very untrue. The place is very disorganized and management is ridiculous. This is why people leave.

I feel that you should change your requirements to become direct care staff. People should be fully educated on how to care for these children. Not just people who have never got into any criminal trouble. An Associates or Bachelors in Special Education or Human Services. These children need and deserve more than what they are receiving. Employees who cannot speak English or understand it should be up for discussion when hiring. When there's a language barrier between staff that's one thing but when there's that much of a language barrier between an employee and a child with autism makes things even more difficult. And you should be more selective when picking people to be managers of a unit, don't pick people who have no clue on how to manage staff and units.

I loved working here

Former Employee - Ambassador  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Ambassador in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Nice employees and employees, nice pay

Cons

Didn't get a lot of training.

Better training and Benefits

It was a very confusing and frequently disheartening place to work.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services

Pros

The best reason to work for Damar is the kids. It is a very unique eperience that you not be able replicate many places.

Cons

At Damar is all about who you know. Employees are hired in for only a couple of reasons: the person is willing to work for cheap, the person has a skill that can be exploited, the person is not from America, or the person knows an middle mangement or higher Damar employee. The job is very unrewarding and uncertain with regards to management expectations. I personally recieved an excellent review my last year there. About a month later recieved an email informing me to fix many problems with my work or be fired. Even after working on all the skills mentioned and making huge gains (told to me by my supervisor) I was laid off a couple months later. The company had decided to replace several licensed teachers with unlicensed and newer teachers to lower costs. Finally, brush up on African languages. English is not the primary language at Damar, the primary language is various Afrian languages.

Tell the true. If an employee needs to improve, let them know and help them get there. I frequently felt underfire for everything I tried. I realize this is not the American way, but a little focus on money and more the kids would make a better work place also. Finally, hire employees who speak English. Part of the difficulty at Damar is in communicating with the kids and staff. Since the kids have limited communication skills and that is part of the reason why they are there. You should control the half you can. If a person cannot answer interview questions adequately and speak in an understandable language for staff, how do you think the kids feel?

Rewarding position with low pay/benefits.

Former Employee - Nurse  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Nurse in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Damar Services

Pros

Rewarding to work with dissadvantaged individuals.

Cons

Company was unorganized and for it to be a non-profit organization-seemed to be interested in making money.

Worked for Damar Services? Contribute to the Community!