Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

www.dana-farber.org

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute President and CEO Edward J. Benz Jr.

Edward J. Benz Jr.

Pros
  • nice working atmosphere, good benefits and overall a happy work experience(in 10 reviews)

• Great people, fantastic work environment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay with the amount of work you need to put in(in 5 reviews)

• fast-paced, high pressure environment, relatively low pay(in 3 reviews)

Happy, but worried

Oncology Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf your goal in healthcare is to make an impact in the lives of patients, this is the place. You will be surrounded by smart and caring people across all the domains of healthcare providers, at all levels of experience. There is always the opportunity to learn and to teach, and the Jimmy Fund events are awe-inspiring (I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it’s really true - take part in a Jimmy Fund walk and see for yourself). I am honored to be part of the team at Dana-Farber, and I am just amazed at the quality of work that goes on here.

ConsCaregiver burnout is a very real thing in oncology nursing, and the current push from management to increase productivity makes it a bigger problem. I am afforded a great deal of respect by my patients and their families, but I do not feel that management has a good understanding of what it is I bring to Dana-Farber and the ways I further their mission of providing expert, compassionate care to people with cancer. It’s very disheartening.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time understanding your NPs, talk to our patients about what we do. People come here for the doctors, but when they refer their loved ones, the NPs and RNs are the ones they talk about (I’m not making this up, this is what my patients have told me).

great institute

Research Technician (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery friendly staff who are aiming to help as much as you need it

ConsVery low pay with the amount of work you need to put in

Advice to Senior Managementconsider over time pay

Great company, fantastic working environment.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, fantastic work environment.

ConsHuman resources folks can be hit or miss. Most are fantastic and make working at DFCI that much better. A few are not fantastic though (to say it nicely), making for the opposite experience. I found that the HR folks play a huge role in most employees' experiences there, and getting an unlucky draw with your HR point person can mar your work life experience quite heavily.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Regulatory

Regulatory Specialist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to work! Excellent people, very hard-working..

ConsI was in a project role so things got a little boring from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunity for career growth.

Review of Dana Farber Cancer Institute

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a positive culture. Another point is that they Organize many activities throughout the year. Finally, they deal in a respectful way

ConsIf you put them in comparison with similar organizations, you can easily figure out that their salaries are not that much competitive

Great to gain healthcare experience and learn a lot too

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsReally great learning environment - staff very interested in their jobs and their specific disease area. Lots of great seminar/lecture opportunities to really feel a part of the mission and organization. Convenient location too.

ConsResearch coordinator positions are really geared towards people who want to work for about 2 years and then leave - lots of burnout happening. Salary is not great for the amount of work expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore perks for consistently good performance would be welcome and might help keep good employees.

great place to get your foot in the door

Prosgreat benefits, and lots of seasoned, respected employees to look up to as mentors

Consno career growth opportunities within certain departments

The job at Dana-Farber was a very good experience for the time that i was their

Data Entry (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTo obtain a position where hard work, reliability and growth opportunities are available and i can use my diverse business skills.

ConsSome of the medical terminology that i had to inter in the system some time was difficult .

Advice to Senior ManagementNever had to give advice to Management.

Culture of people who really care, from president down

Communications (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEmployees at all levels, clinical and not, really believe in the mission of the Institute and are wholly committed to cancer patients and their families. You can feel really good about supporting this organization.

ConsNon-competitive salaries; also, tendency for people in leadership positions to stay on for years and years - which is not necessarily a bad thing, but can sometimes cause staleness and tunnel vision if left unchecked.

Is good place to work.

Applications Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe work environment is good. Relaxed environment not fast paced.

ConsTecnologically backward. Career growth is slow as well for one who is ambitious.

Worked for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute? Contribute to the Community!