Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.9

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute President and CEO Edward J. Benz Jr.
Edward J. Benz Jr.

Pros
  • nice working atmosphere, good benefits and overall a happy work experience (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, fantastic work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay with the amount of work you need to put in (in 5 reviews)

• fast-paced, high pressure environment, relatively low pay (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience, Loved working there

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of "intangibles" and you feel very rewarded at the end of the day. Great benefits, supportive teams, and family support

Cons

The pay is not the best. You often work long hours for no excess pay and there aren't really any bonuses at the end of the year.

Editorial Intern

Former Employee - Editorial Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interning with Dana-Farber was an extremely rewarding experience. Not only are you working an environment that's helping patients and their families in extremely difficult times, but you're also working with some of the nicest people in Boston. The staff at Dana-Farber across all departments were some of the friendliest people I've every met.

As an intern, I was given great responsibility in contributing articles for the internal staff newsletter, intranet, and other external publications. The editorial team was wonderful and really made interns feel like valuable members of the department.

Cons

Sometimes the tasks as an intern could get repetitive, but usually asking my manager for more work helped alleviate that.

The internship was for course credit, so I cannot speak to compensation.

Continue to make your interns feel like part of the team! I think you all did a wonderful job with that while I was there.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Clinical Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees work together to provide best possible care for patients. Great atmosphere and very mission driven. Internal training opportunities regularly offered. Fast paced but purposeful. Management acknowledges staff at all levels, organizational respect. CEO is engaged and approachable. Good benefits.

Cons

Work can be stressful due to time sensitivity and fast paced work environment. Officespace is difficult to manage as space can be an issue. Depending on the department, some doctors can be difficult personalities to work with.

Continue to recognize staff at all levels. Recognition and acknowledgment of hard works helps with moral.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place for training

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Pros

Excellent resources and access to world experts in cancer research.

Cons

Low pay, limited benefits for post docs who bring their own funding

Change the benefit rules

Happy, but worried

Current Employee - Oncology Nurse Practitioner  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Oncology Nurse Practitioner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If your goal in healthcare is to make an impact in the lives of patients, this is the place. You will be surrounded by smart and caring people across all the domains of healthcare providers, at all levels of experience. There is always the opportunity to learn and to teach, and the Jimmy Fund events are awe-inspiring (I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it’s really true - take part in a Jimmy Fund walk and see for yourself). I am honored to be part of the team at Dana-Farber, and I am just amazed at the quality of work that goes on here.

Cons

Caregiver burnout is a very real thing in oncology nursing, and the current push from management to increase productivity makes it a bigger problem. I am afforded a great deal of respect by my patients and their families, but I do not feel that management has a good understanding of what it is I bring to Dana-Farber and the ways I further their mission of providing expert, compassionate care to people with cancer. It’s very disheartening.

Spend more time understanding your NPs, talk to our patients about what we do. People come here for the doctors, but when they refer their loved ones, the NPs and RNs are the ones they talk about (I’m not making this up, this is what my patients have told me).

great institute

Former Employee - Research Technician  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly staff who are aiming to help as much as you need it

Cons

Very low pay with the amount of work you need to put in

consider over time pay

Great company, fantastic working environment.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great people, fantastic work environment.

Cons

Human resources folks can be hit or miss. Most are fantastic and make working at DFCI that much better. A few are not fantastic though (to say it nicely), making for the opposite experience. I found that the HR folks play a huge role in most employees' experiences there, and getting an unlucky draw with your HR point person can mar your work life experience quite heavily.

Review of Dana Farber Cancer Institute

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

Pros

They have a positive culture. Another point is that they Organize many activities throughout the year. Finally, they deal in a respectful way

Cons

If you put them in comparison with similar organizations, you can easily figure out that their salaries are not that much competitive

Regulatory

Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work! Excellent people, very hard-working..

Cons

I was in a project role so things got a little boring from time to time.

Provide more opportunity for career growth.

Great to gain healthcare experience and learn a lot too

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great learning environment - staff very interested in their jobs and their specific disease area. Lots of great seminar/lecture opportunities to really feel a part of the mission and organization. Convenient location too.

Cons

Research coordinator positions are really geared towards people who want to work for about 2 years and then leave - lots of burnout happening. Salary is not great for the amount of work expected.

More perks for consistently good performance would be welcome and might help keep good employees.

Worked for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute? Contribute to the Community!