Danaher Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

2.6

Danaher President, CEO, and Director Larry Culp Jr.
Larry Culp Jr.

Pros
  • Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works (in 9 reviews)

• Good compensation, good benefits, some good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Danaher can be a tough place to work in terms of work life balance and stress (in 13 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

No vision. No strategy. No hope.

I worked at Danaher full-time

Pros

Met some really good people while working there. I was able to develop strong leadership and motivational skills to counteract the negative environment and poor morale.

Cons

People are let go every year, which leads to a workplace where employees are constantly looking over their shoulder. Morale is very low. People have meetings for the sake of having meetings, which is a result of poor strategic planning and direction.

Take time to develop a strategy for how you would like to the company to move forward. Knee jerk reactions to even the slightest bit of negative news will not take the company to higher levels of success. Pick a plan and see it through.

Without a doubt worst place I ever worked

Former Employee - Staffing Manager  in  West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the office politics face to face. Nor did I have to see my so called boss every day which was also a plus.

Cons

Where do I start - horrible management and I was so fortunate to have the worst boss ever. Upper management does not care about anything other than their own bonuses. I had to pay for my own development and was provided with no tools to help me do my job - finally went and paid for myself. Had HR colleagues stab me in the back because they were only looking out for their own survival.
    I would constantly bring up the subject of turnover in HR meetings only to be told to shut up - literally.

Quit - do other employees a favor. Stop calling people idiots and morons to their face and then wonder why turnover is awful!!

Good for VP and above, rest all stay away!!

Current Employee - Non-VP  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Non-VP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are in industrials / manufacturing oriented domain, training in DBS and other processes is valuable. The brand is strong in such domains. If you are coming from other domains or would like to go to another domain, there are better places to go.

Cons

They may pay you a high salary to entice you to join, but you may not get raises or promotions. Unlike technology and other progressive companies, only executive-level people get equity in the company. There are no stock options or ESPPs. Their mantra to growth is cutting out waste. So they are always on lookout to cut people. However, in essence they are managing street's expectations. Unannounced layoffs to meet near term operating profit / other metrics are quite common across holding companies. Not much job security.

Share the wealth with non-executive associates too. Treat them fairly and with respect when you layoff people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get in, survive, get out

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Premiere for learning lean practices, especially at an established part of the company. Lots of smart people. If you are willing to work hard and navigate the politics, you can get a great name on your resume and learn how to be ruthless. It will may working anywhere else look easy. Get to learn change management.

Cons

Generally the management style is one of overachieving, insecure, high ego folks who don't want to be bothered helping develop others. When things don't go perfectly, be prepared that someone will be blamed. If you're really good at your job, you get the chance to work in the underperforming or newly acquired businesses to turn them around - which means your bonus won't pay out.

Return to your core values and drive process adherence and take the time to teach.

Hostile work environment, culture of blame

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Altoona, PA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Altoona, PA

I have been working at Danaher full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401k and retirement contributions are fine.

Cons

Turnover is extreme, average 1 salaried employee every 12-weeks. Continuous culture of blame and a very hostile environment. There is no stepping up to admit problems because there are negative repercussions to anything off plan, or any miss on "stretch" goals.

Make this a place people want to work. Focus on the people and not so much the numbers. Empower the employees. Stop the blame game. Stop the micro-management. This is not healthcare, peoples lives are not in the balance. This is manufacturing, and profits are there. Stop the "stretch" goals.

Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Danaher

Pros

Learn a lot of new skills

Cons

Bad pay and far too much pressure, which results in a poor working environment

Be more supportive of the staff

Brutal - Chew-you-up Environment

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outstanding development experience with lots of autonomy. Above average talent - some of the smartest folks out there. Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works. Highly engaged senior team - they are in the business the majority of their time.

Cons

Very strong culture - you either fit or you don't. Highly critical culture in the sense that nothing is ever good enough. Very little positive or honest feedback. One day you come into work and you are fired with no warning. Very low marks on innovation because they emphasize following process over trying something new. It is not a happy place, people "endure" work to the point where it becomes a competition to see who the biggest "martyr" is.

If you work at Danaher, you're gonna have a bad time.

I worked at Danaher

Pros

Decent experience if just starting your career. Coworkers, riding in the same ship as you, are available to provide support by sharing and relating to any grief and sorrow accumulated from Danaher's negative and uncomfortable workplace environment.

Cons

Overwhelming workload. No work to life balance. Blame rich environment. Management is disrespectful, unprofessional, untrustworthy, and have minimal technical experience with regards to Danaher's products. Management is selfish and has no consideration for their employees. Retention rate is terrible, people quit (especially in e-town due to management reasons listed above). You barely have any resources to effectively do your job. You're pressed to take shortcuts and hurry up, which leads to mistakes. It's just a down right perpetual mess. This environment saturates you in anguish, and you're stretched beyond your limit, like butter spread over too much bread. Don't work at Danaher if you can help it.

Employees don't leave companies, they leave management. Be more respectful and considerate.

Doesn't care about employees or customers

Former Employee - Clinical Engineer
    Former Employee - Clinical Engineer

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great group of coworkers.

Cons

Low wages, constant threat of being fired, every lower manager and employee are incredibly unhappy, and customers are being smoke screened. Disrespectful upper management openly lies about firing practices. Metrics, metrics, and more metrics. Zero care for the customer or employee.

Find another job. If upper management, stop being horrible human beings. Hold customer needs, quality products, and employee morale above profits within reason.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Quality  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Danaher full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good place to gain experience but I would not stay more than 3-5 years. Benefits are good. Salary ranges have not changed since the company started. Once you make it to a certain level, you never get another raise. It is almost impossible to get promoted. They might give you a new position but it's usually at the same salary.

Cons

They set goals that are unrealistic and unattainable. Part of the problem was because management has no idea how much time it takes to perform a job. My position required me to stay until 6-6:30pm every night, come in on weekends and to work on holidays, just to keep my head above water.

Think about work life balance. Have defined career paths to get to the next level. Provide in house training to enhance employee knowledge.

Worked for Danaher? Contribute to the Community!