Danaher Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.6

Danaher President, CEO, and Director Larry Culp Jr.
Larry Culp Jr.

Pros
  • Very process driven the Danaher Business System really works (in 9 reviews)

• Good compensation, good benefits, some good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Danaher can be a tough place to work in terms of work life balance and stress (in 13 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Penny wise pound foolish; cuts made that decrease productivity and professional growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Danaher

Pros

Decreased management to leaner levels. Pay and benefits remained the same for the first 6 months.

Cons

Upon taking over a very large multinational medical instrument company cut out all travel for some departments and attendance to national meetings. Removed copiers, stopped replacing ceiling lights. Forbid upgrading computers, took back cell phones and other communication devices. increased costs to field support persons for car, cell phones. Over worked field support. Many resignations. Senior persons taking jobs with competitors or taking lay off package.

Wake up or abandon ship. This is only the tip of the iceberg ahead.

How to ruin a great company, ChemTreat, in three easy lessons

Current Employee - District Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Name recognition and decent health benefits

Cons

The support staff has been treated like slaves. Despite meeting targets, ChemTreat refused to give the average employee a raise. Desention amongst the lower managers and their staff runs high. People are in positions of higher management without the necessary education that most companies typically require. The company was once a proud employee owned place of business that attracted the top talent in the field of water treatment. Why anyone would choose ChemTreat for their career is beyond me (except for the need for a paycheck).

Get back to the basics. Remember what made ChemTreat great. Give the salesman the power to make business decisions for their territories. You are paying people of real profitability. Stop making up your own profit numbers and looking for ways to cut bonuses.

Professionals: Avoid this company at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport, NY

I worked at Danaher

Pros

Danaher is a global company and you gain some international exposure. There are very good and hard-working employees here that try their best to support each other, as well as customers despite the harsh working conditions.

Cons

This company consistently makes promises to clients they can't keep. It is a high pressure, thankless environment with many unsatisfied employees that are afraid of being the next to get the ax. It is a constant revolving door of people. One day they are there, the next day they are fired without regard to how long they've served the company. Expectations are completely unrealistic, and there is a culture of blame. The high volume of work and pressure promotes errors that reflect badly on you and are reported on a daily basis. There is little to no training for most of the positions, and the environment is toxic. The smart ones make a bee line to the exit door when they wise up to the situation. I advise all accomplished professionals or those looking to start their career to not waste their time with this hell hole. Heed this warning: this is not a good place to work compared to other companies in the area. Unless you are very desperate and are a glutton for punishment, don't waste your time or talent. For the engineers out there, the technology is not cutting edge and leaves much to be desired.

Treat your employees with respect and professionalism. Word gets around. The worker bees know the clients so make an effort to actually implement changes, not just talk about them. Take time to listen and learn on what the real issues are, and stop blaming individuals when the whole system is dysfunctional. It is nearly impossible to provide adequate customer service for this reason. Spend the money to improve training and boost morale so good employees actually want to work there. That revolving door will cost you sooner or later.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Danaher just bought what "use to be" a great company, Beckman Coulter.

Current Employee - My Job, IT Seems, IS to Consistently Lie to Customers  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - My Job, IT Seems, IS to Consistently Lie to Customers in Brea, CA

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

None to date. Complete downgrade compared to most companies. I guess you could say "its better than nothing, then again, maybe not.

Cons

Weeks after the acquisition of Beckman Coulter, they announced an 8% reduction of all employees. Even departments that are already low on personnel are losing bodies. Our benefits were cut nearly in half and the Danaher prefered medical plan is outright an insult. United Health Care, for those of you familiar with United, I dont have to explain any more.

Its obvious that Danahers intent is to squeeze Beckman Coulter for every drop its worth and do it in a very unappreciated manner. It s just a matter of time before they weed out the best employees and are left with people of the lowest morale. Within a few years the superb quality of Beckman Coulter products will be an old memory, and so will the family atmospere that filled most of our offices.

It might be a good time to really start listening to employees that have true customer knowledge and stop depending on software to tell you how to run and maintain a business. There was a time when I would have taken a paycut just to keep my job because I absolutely loved going to work everyday. It was such a respectable place to work. Its not too late to get things on the right track, treat your employees with respect, and appreciate them beyond just depositing a paycheck. Make it a company that is, just not profitable, but also a great place to work and proud to be part of. It doesnt have to be such an "us versus them" workplace environment. Employees throughout the entire United States are being turned against each other from the level of competition being pushed down upon the employees. The words "unity" and "team" are used frequently by upper management, but actions speak more than words. Happy and appreciated employees build better businesses!

Fast paced work with high expectations, no room for mistakes, and no recognition.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radford, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radford, VA

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Good experience early in your career. Great lean manufacturing practices. Ability to impact business from the beginning, great resume builder.

Cons

Every person is responsible for at least one and a half jobs. The expectations are unrealistic. No training. No work life balance.

Promotions from within should be from the entire business not just from a pool of MBA's. More communication across Danaher businesses.

favorable experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

There are always opportunity for growth

Cons

The is very limited work life balance

Intense

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Learning opportunities in an intnse bottom line fixated company

Cons

The culure is maximizing Op Inc everything else is secondary. Associates are a liability and a tool.

Very hard work

Current Employee - Director  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Everett, WA

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Employees are provided opportunities to learn.

Cons

Internal candidates are often promoted, but with little monetary gain.

Innovation is stiffled by the arrogance of the senior management

This is the worst company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

I have met some good people here who I know I will have lasting friendships with. I have had the opportunity to acquire experience in a number of different aspects of my field and, in doing so, have gained very valuable insight to the kind of company and department in which I want to grow old and eventually retire from.....

Cons

....and Danaher ain't it. I have not even reached the two year mark of employment with this place and am already looking for a new job. My department is so stretched to the bare bones minimum and we are so overwhelmed with the volume of our workload, that we are having trouble focusing on what our priorities are and it is often the case where tasks and deadlines fall off our plates because our plates are way too full. In spite of this, there are no plans to add headcount. The leadership within our department is nonexistant. Yes, there is a manager, directors and a VP....yet no leadership and no one with a business plan to address the needs of the department.

Good employees are difficult to come by. You comment and wonder why retention is so low. Stop viewing us as expendable livestock! Yes your bottom line is important, but more important are the little people who help you acheive it. You can only take Lean Manufacturing so far before you're employees start looking elsewhere for a company who values them.

The worst place I ever worked

Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Manager

I have been working at Danaher

Pros

Flexible on overtime for exempt employees
    Bennifits are good

Cons

very depressing place to work
    They sell products they know are deffective
    One day you walk on water, the next you are out the door. You stay afraid because you never know when it is coming.
    There is rampant descrimination and preferential treatment of employees.
    No one is ever promoted internally.
    They will have your repolacement in place the day after you leave.

I hope they find themselves out on the street with no prospects, get exactly the fear and hopelessness they have dealt out to so many.

Worked for Danaher? Contribute to the Community!