Daniel Webster College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
CEO

1. Good place to break into higher education but building a future there is problematic.

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Nashua, NH

I worked at Daniel Webster College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small school so limited bureaucracy. Free parking!

Cons

Very limited support staff. Senior leadership was not open with strategic plans for school.

2. Unfair skewed metric

I worked at Daniel Webster College

Pros

There is no good reason to work for this college

Cons

Daniel Webster College (ITT/ESI) do not care about their employees or the students.

3. A flawed system, starting from the top

Former Employee - Outbound Call Pre-Screener in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Outbound Call Pre-Screener in Nashua, NH

I worked at Daniel Webster College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with a school that was affiliated with ITT Tech which is a small college in my city. The people I worked with (not including management) were friendly and helpful. They also offered an 80% discount on courses. Overtime was basically available at will.

Cons

First off, the system is flawed. Leads were produced via shady tactics online. Often we would be speaking with people who were forced to give their information while doing a job search, with no opt out. Other times leads would come through via ad services promising gift cards. I found that deceptive and generally poor business ethics. Metrics were kept based on performance. This is understandable, however, these metrics were based on things that the rep had little to no control over. Frustration was frequent among normally tolerant people. Management was hold and cold based on performance. They were frequently in meetings or out of the office. Often there would be nobody around to help if something went wrong. You could easily tell they were under pressure from the higher ups. They served less as mentors and more as hovering drones. There is a very detectable separation between the corporate... clique (for the lack of an appropriate term) and the lower management/workers. The power division was a bit demoralizing. When I was hired I was part of a pilot program with an attempt to change the system of the call center. I was one of the first hired for the program in November. My metrics were frequently among the highest for those in the position (including students from the physical campus working part time). Yesterday the program was abruptly pulled with 0 notice. I'm not griping about that. I understand it was a test program and the chance for it to be pulled was something I was told from the start. What I am disappointed about is that I wasn't offered the opportunity to move up within the system despite my high performance. Management dangled the opportunity in front of me to keep me motivated. Then the rug gets pulled from under my feet and I'm sent packing like I was just another warm body. There was no loyalty in that system, and management had no problem putting brass rings out of my reach. There was no support given to that pilot program anyways. I was basically thrown out on my own to figure out how to do this job that has never existed before. I hate to sound boastful, but I really feel like I should have been afforded a better opportunity. Not to mention that shortly before I was let go they hired more reps. They hired new people for the position that I, or anyone in that program, could have attained. They could have promoted from within and saved a couple people their jobs. In fact I was delegated the duty of training one of the new people that took the position that I could have been in. There are other problems with this company. Their infrastructure is flawed. Their technology is outdated. There is very little help offered by the higher ups. I predict their online program will fail very soon and good people will be out of a job due to poor quality leads, poor quality management, and an uncaring corporate system. Hopefully this doesn't read as a whiny rant, but I want to offer my perspective on the ITT Tech model.

Advice to Management

Increase the quality of your leads. Work to help reps improve their skills rather than brow-beating them for low numbers. Upgrade your system to a more modern approach - for example, most applications only work for internet explorer and are incompatible with popular browsers such as Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. Finally, get with the program. Your general malaise and separation from your employees hurt the very base of your system. IF that collapses, you collapse. Personally I'm surprised these jobs haven't been outsourced yet. Management seems to care very little for their employees and very much about their numbers.

If you are reading this then run now!!

Current Employee - Staff Member in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Staff Member in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Daniel Webster College

Pros

Most of the Professors are very good and really care about the students.

Cons

The management does not care about the employees and student success. They only care about numbers and making money. They have also cut a lot of the benefits since ITT purchased them.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing the staff with the daily numbers game. Start putting as much effort into helping your employees succeed as you do pushing them out the door to other colleges and universities.

Downhill since the takeover by ITT

I worked at Daniel Webster College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, not too many positives about working here. The students are generally great to work. But That's about it.

Cons

Much lower salaries than other colleges. A lot of company politics that hinder productivity. Definitely a fast employee turnover. Even though the turnover is so high, there is absolutely no chance of advancement. They seem to only higher external candidates for higher positions. They do not promote from within. They seem to only hire overqualified individuals for higher positions who end up leaving as soon as a better opportunity comes up (can't blame them). I've worked with and around many departments and this appears to be a company-wide practice. There is very little support from upper management who focus greatly on pinching pennies and following 'corporate's' (ITT's) heavy handed regulations even if it means sacrificing the student's experience. Student enrollment is falling. Most of the residential facilities are not even close to capacity. They spend more time and resources trying to fill rooms than trying to develop academic programs. And the one program that made the school popular was cancelled due to the ITT buyout. Overall, It seems to be a failing company with an unlimited money supply from ITT. I don't see them going under anytime soon and I have no reason to suspect it will get better.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some motivation or advancement opportunities and compensate them appropriately. If you did this, maybe employees wouldn't be leaving at such a fast rate.

Large turnover.

I have been working at Daniel Webster College

Pros

Most of the people are great that work for Daniel Webster College. It is also a pretty campus to look at.

Cons

There are very few people you can trust. Upper management thinks they know exactly what they are doing, they need to look into what is going on before they can really see it.

Advice to Management

Step into the shoes of the different departments that work for you. You will then get a sense of what is going on and why they can't do their job up to their highest potential.

RSS Feed </> Embed