Danier Leather Reviews

2.9
Jeffrey Wortsman

1. Decent sales training

I worked at Danier Leather

Pros

Classy and professional place to work, decent sales training

Cons

Base pay is less than minimum wage, with 2% comission. Some of the sales people are more agressive. The company wants you to wear a current piece all the time so you will have to buy 1 or 2 items per season. They evaluate you on a grading scale that puts you in competition with everyone else in your store, your sales per hour are compared to the stores average sales per hour and if you are 110% above it you move up a grade and if you are 90% below you move down a grade. If you have a low grade for so many weeks you will be let go

2. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Danier Leather full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Strong emphasis on growth
    *great support from Upper management and DMs
    * Your input is valued at every stage to help satisfy the customer
    *Strong focus on customer service

Cons

*Huge time commitment. You are expected to put in as many hours as required to make your budget with no additional compensation or overtime. You are always "on call"

A Career position, you get out what you put in. I love working for Danier, but mostly because I want to grow. IF you are interested in a Retail MAnagement career as a stepping stone to a larger end, this is not the position for you.

3. I love working at Danier. Definitely recommend for anyone that needs a full-time job working their way up in the world.

I have been working at Danier Leather full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-good hours
    -good incentives for top sellers and top stores
    -high expectations set in place to help insure a professional environment such a dress code, appearance, goals, etc.
    I can't speak for all stores but from my experience it is a good company to work for. If you're trying to figure out your life or doing pt school, this is a stress free place to work.
    -Recognition! Who doesn't love to be recognized for all their hard work. Company likes to give shout outs to top stores and top management.
    -Get to take time off in summer! (unlike some retail stores that have blackout in the summer due to back to school)
    -Can make awesome money during the holidays, gives incentive to want to work more during that time.

Cons

-no sick days for management, although part timers can earn vacation time?....How does this make sense?...
    -constant price changes
    -quality control, BIGGEST Problem (damaging a lot of items and having many complaints that could be avoided)
    -needs to share more information, true information, about the product. Where it comes from, how the leathers are made, who makes it.
    -There is not a lot of room for internal growth, however it is a smaller company. I can't say too much considering the management I know of is in this for the long haul as a career.

Pay your team leads more. Especially if they work hard and deserve it. At the end of the day when the full time management isn't there, they are in charge. Make them want to care more.
    Part timers should make minimum wage no matter what. If your teams are making enough money and performing above standard, you should have more incentive to keep good people. Have proper training tools implemented for management and all staff. All staff should know the ins and outs of how the company wants you to look, act, sell and overall performance. Treat everyone as equals there are no favourites.

5. Wouldn't recommend...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Danier Leather part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount
    Visual displays are fun
    Can't think of much else tbh.

Cons

Below minimum wage pay (I get paid 9.74 but others get 9.00) with just a 2% commission.
    Awful management. They always think they and their company is better.
    Poor discount for other items. While I get a discount for 50-60% on women's clothes, I get a measly little 10% off men's items to discourage us from crossdressing. It is policy that you have to wear your genders clothing. What world are these people living in? Nobody cares about that anymore.
    Only 30 minute break even if you have an 8 hour shift.
    Poor quality leather. Constantly returning or exchanging damaged goods. Sometimes I don't even think its real leather.
    Copy cat designs. If you want to be number one in leather worldwide, create your own designs. For such an old company (1971), you'd figure that maybe you'd branch out a bit more at least to the states.
    Everything is made in sweatshops, which is embarrassing to admit to customers especially if theyre paying for an expensive jacket.
    Pressure to sell. A LOT of pressure. Between this and the wage, its very demotivating.
    Too much work for so little pay.
    Constantly updating the stores and sales. Very annoying when you just change the windows and then a week later have to change everything again.
    Very boring. You barely make any sales except for the Xmas season. With my commission I barely make over $10.00
    Crazy policies and dress codes. They show you an entire video on how to style your hair!!! From long to short to curly. There's no individuality. Everyone looks the same. Black black black.
    I don't wear make up but was told that its mandatory, even though the dress code says "highly recommended." As for piercings, you can't even have a nose stud. You're only aloud two earrings on each ear. Would you like me to go on?
    Recent cut backs. This company can't afford anything. I can't get a higher pay raise and they cut their Aspiria program, firing people who were with the company for more than 20 years.
    Very hard to advance. No bonuses. No incentives. I don't want Danier dollars, I want money to put food on the table.
    Definitely a lack of training, because they don't care. My new manager had to 'retrain' me. None of the sales leads know what they're doing because they hire anybody.

Listen to your employees. We get blamed for low conversion and sales, when its marketing and location. We get the constant blame for returns and low sales when nobody wants to buy leather anymore. People are more animal friendly than what they used to be. Your leather is cheaply made overseas in sweatshops yet your jackets are expensive.
    Don't treat your staff so poorly. This is just a sales job and they take it so seriously. Sales environments need to be FUN as well as competitive.

Train us properly, my last manager just read off a booklet like it was a story book and it was so boring. I didn't learn anything from her, and she got really mad that I didn't remember the next week what I was supposed to do. The exact works were "I'm so glad I'm transferring, so I don't have to deal with you anymore." Geez, thanks.

I'm just going to say this, not as advice but fact: this place is a joke. Maybe if you have time for a part time casual job and still live at home or don't have to pay for housing, bills, and food, than this would be a good job. I'm surprised I even lasted this long.

6. Not a pleasant place to work at

I worked at Danier Leather

Pros

The store provided good discounts to employees.

Cons

Very unpleasant work environment.Since everyone is on commision, the employees think more about their profit off a client than actually helping someone. Lot's of fake smiles and negativity. I worked there for one season ( a little over 4 months) and in that time seen a little too many catfights. People would fight over who's turn it is to help a client, then 'help' the client almost to the point of harrassment, saying that everything looks great even if it doesn't. If a client comes in to buy only a pair of gloves for examples, no one really cares to help them because it is not a profitable sale. WIth all that being said I have to add that the manager where I worked was very organized and worked hard but could not control the bad relationship between most coworkers.

7. Working experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Danier Leather

Pros

very friendly environment. managers a very nice in WEM branch and they always put sales under you (commission).

Cons

Small national business, limit development.

8. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Management Team
    Current Employee - Management Team

I have been working at Danier Leather full-time

Pros

-Great discount policy
    -Fantastic product to sell with great style and affordability
    -amazing people throughout organization from top to bottom

Cons

-low pay for the quantity of work expected
    -low opportunity for advancement
    -company has a scattered view of the direction it's going in - policy changes frequent and inconsistent

- be more open to internal career advancement
    -focus on sales team, more incentives

High Turnover Rate and Awful Management

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Danier Leather full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount was fairly decent. If you like leather, defintely a plus. Sales training was helpful and can be used in other careers, helping customers.

Cons

I worked for Danier for a over two years and different locations holding multiple roles, one in management and the other in sales.

First off the quality of managers being hired to train, develop and lead a team of high performers is a joke, the manager would often choose favorite's, giving more hours to weaker sales associate who gossiped with the manager andvlistened to boring stories.

Over the year the turnover rate was absolutely insane, mainly from the lack of hours and no direction or help from the manager. If you ask for more hours you'll receive less and they always say it's "business needs" yet hire another part time sales associate. The management team chooses favorite's, and when you complain to human resource's its pointless and remind you to read the policies.

If your from the ages of 18-21 sure this is a great part time very casual job when you live at home and are a student. If you're needing a steady income this is not the place for you, hours are not consistent, and expectations are high for more "senior" staff.

No benefits if you work for the company less than 2 years, and no wage increases.

Try not to think so highly of yourselves, , the amount of ego that the managers have is quite ridiculous for a mediocre apparel company, who lacks direction and imitates designer brands. Were all working together as a team to make as much money as possible and to make our sales targets.

Team Lead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Danier Leather

Pros

Phenomenal staff

great staff discount

lots of store contests to win money

Cons

Serious lack of communication between Head Office and the stores.

Marketing changes almost daily, as well the promotions change so frequently we have a new markup/markdown daily.

The lack training is concerning, you'll be reprimanded for failing to do things that you were never trained on.

I have been with the company for over a year and have yet to see anyone move up within the company, as far as I can tell Danier refuses to use their senior staff to fill upper management positions and would rather continue to hire externally.

Very high turn over rate at my location, the store cannot keep a management team

Staff is very underpaid

Loss Prevention & HR have not done a very good job dealing with the issues presented in our store, in turn people felt uncomfortable complaining because they knew they wouldn't be heard or have their issues dealt with.

The senior staff in your stores deserve the opportunity to grow. It was a selling point when I was hired and I have yet to see any of it. There needs to be a clearer method of communication because it is very disorganized. There also needs to be more training in order for employees to do their jobs efficiently.

11. Not a positive environment to come to every day

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Danier Leather full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Higher than average pay for a Canadian retailer, excellent employee discount.

Cons

Extreme disorganization from the head office level, constantly receiving marketing with spelling errors, adjustments in hours/goals sometimes 3-4 times a week, markdowns/Markups sometimes 3 times a week, anyone hired at a management level is hired from the outside, very few internal promotions, an extremely old/inefficient POS system, a Danier direct order system that completely failed over Christmas resulting in hundreds of disappointed customers not able to receive their Christmas gifts on time, and a terrible work/life balance, an extremely specific dress code down to how you wear your hair and make up, no feedback/constructive criticism about your performance and therefore no growth.

I hope Danier makes all necessary changes in order to bounce back and succeed. It is a luxury store run at an extremely junior level. There is so much potential, but they need to go back to basics and stop trying to change the way they run their business every 5 minutes.

Danier Leather Photos