Danier Leather

www.danier.com

Danier Leather Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Jeffrey Wortsman

Great company to work for

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Pros*Strong emphasis on growth
    *great support from Upper management and DMs
    * Your input is valued at every stage to help satisfy the customer
    *Strong focus on customer service

Cons*Huge time commitment. You are expected to put in as many hours as required to make your budget with no additional compensation or overtime. You are always "on call"

Advice to Senior ManagementA Career position, you get out what you put in. I love working for Danier, but mostly because I want to grow. IF you are interested in a Retail MAnagement career as a stepping stone to a larger end, this is not the position for you.

Could be better, but not bad.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros- When it's a busy season, it's lots of fun selling and working with customers
    - Great discounts
    - Not too stressful for sales associates
    - Commission
    - Great products
    This job is good if you're just looking for a part-time job. It's great money during christmas season.

Cons- Can be very competitive
    - Some sales associates are rude and steal sales
    - Needs better marketing skills to avoid completely dead and boring days
    - No raises, compensation isn't very high especially during the slower seasons

Advice to Senior Management- Better marketing skill
    - Shouldn't be biased to the "top selling associate"

What a mess.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsYou can make decent money here -- IF you can keep yourself motivated and sell in spite of demotivated staff, demotivated management and constant pressure. Expect to be incredibly bored and make little money during the summer months, and decent money (easily $17/h) in the winter months.

ConsBase wages are unfair. There is no yearly evaluation or raise for team members, so expect to become incredibly demotivated when you realize you've been working for two years with no raise and the company has decided to start hiring at a higher pay grade! My store had at least one associate being paid a base rate of LESS than minimum wage (after minimum wage in the province had been raised a year after her hiring date), because management is SO apathetic towards giving raises. Expect to be told "we can't afford to raise your pay" unless you walk in with your resignation letter in your hand. Expect for new hires at more junior levels (Sales Associates vs. Key Holders, or Sales Associates vs. Sales Leads) to be hired at a higher rate than your base wage, and when you ask for a raise to be told that it's impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementYearly wage reviews are a MUST. In spite of what the company may think, it is NOT motivating to be told "you'll make more money if you just sell more!"

The number of items that come into the stores these days that are blatant knockoffs of other brands is ASTONISHING. The company is in dire need of an overhaul. It's shocking that they expect to compete with the prestige held by Michael Kors and Coach while simultaneously knocking off their styles! From Rebecca Minkoff to Guerlain to Balenciaga to Michael Kors, the knockoffs are obvious and egregious. It's hard to motivate yourself to sell (and convince the customer to buy) when there's junk like that on the sales floor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood support to reach your full potential

ConsLow wages at starting positions and need to polish decor of some stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the image of products and store

$9.25 in hour plus 2% commission

ProsGet discount on leather goods

ConsVery underpaid to stay motivated

Advice to Senior ManagementPut employee first

A good introduction to retail customer service

Customer Service (Former Employee) Ajax, ON (Canada)

ProsI enjoyed working at Danier because I believed in the product I was selling--the clothing was generally well made; I valued workding for a Canadian company, and I actually became a regular customer of Danier due to the employee discounts I received.

ConsI didn't enjoy having to stay on my feet for each shift. Since I was working behind the cash counter, it would have been nice to have stools available. Also, there weren't many incentives for non-sales positions so there wasn't much opportunity to maximize my earning potential in my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation for customer service representatives

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible hours, positive and fun working environment, lots of incentives to push you to work harder, and good management.

ConsThe commission based grading system, (Very hard to rise, but very easy to fall). In turn, creating a tension between coworkers on the sales floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to induce more teamwork on the sales floor with incentives. I've noticed the more we cooperated, the more sales each individual received. As opposed to every man for themselves. But I do not in any way mean remove the commission based system, I just mean to improve it.

No Future

Factory (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosbetter benefits for high level management and office staff

Consworking in factory is under stress and pressure. every move in under watch. salary is very low. grading professional employees is unfair. Heavy work, long shifts with pressure to stay overtime. they do not increase the vacations with seniority and pay increase is minimum. not able to get your vacation when you need. When I was working there I was eager to be laid off as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat all fairly.

Loved the people, the manager needed more training - her people skills were lacking.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Newmarket, ON (Canada)

ProsDuring the Christmas season, the hours were great.

ConsDanier encourages staff to work against each other, not with each other.

Customer Service Representative

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice employees, nice leather jackets

Consmean manager, customer service should get paid more

Worked for Danier Leather? Contribute to the Community!